I Remember You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Warning: 988 words of Birdstrike Internet-Graffiti below. It's not likely what you're looking for. Read no further...

I walk out of the patient room. My eyes stare at the computer screen. I’m behind, way behind. I roll my head on my neck. My neck feels tense, and I have a headache. It’s been a long week. I need a vacation. Hurry up, click-click-click this computer, I think to myself. Dammit, is this EMR really freezing up again?

I look up. A man walks out of a patient room across the hall. Our eyes lock. I quickly look away. Ouch, my neck. There are patients waiting. I need to get moving, or I’ll never get out of here, I think to myself. I put my head down and turn to walk away.

“Doctor. Doctor. Are you Doctor Bird?” he calls to me with urgency.

Crap, I think to myself. I’m never going to get caught up. He does look familiar. I hope he’s not mad at me. Who is this man? He probably wants to sue me, or maybe he’s angry I didn’t prescribe him those pills he wanted. Man, my neck.

“Yes?” I answer, hesitantly.

“Did you work at —– —– Medical Center about 10 years ago?” he asks.

He looks so, so familiar, but I can’t place him.

“You won’t remember me, but you took care of my son,” he says, with a faint, but warming smile. Right then, it hits me, like a ton of bricks.

“My son had cancer,” he says.

“Brain cancer,” I answer, and right then my mind goes back 10 years at warp speed, back to room 10, during a chaotic shift at my first job out of residency. I’m looking at a 12-yr-old boy laying in bed. His eyes are sunken and gaunt, skin pale, hair blond. He’s dying of cancer and all treatments have failed. I had never seen a child so sick, so ill appearing, yet still alive. He looks like he’s in terrible pain. There’s nothing left to do, but to try to make his last few days, hours and moments as painless as possible. He needs IV fluids, some pain and nausea medicine and needs to be made comfortable. In a chair next to him is his father, dying inside. My heart sinks. “I remember you, and I remember him. I even remember the room you were in.”

“He died shortly after that. But I still remember you. You really took the time to ease his suffering, if only for a short time. That meant a lot to me. Most of all, you seemed to actually care,” he says.

I felt a little dizzy. I felt like I was having a flash-back of the PTSD sort; so vivid and real. I remember the chaos of the shift. Walking down the far hallway, walking in the room and closing the door. As the door closed behind me, the noisy chaos behind disappeared, and it was stark quiet. I remember feeling the heart-wrenching sadness of this man sitting next to his dying son, so helpless. I felt equally helpless. I remember thinking, I don’t care how many patients are waiting. I don’t care how long the wait is, or what chaos is swirling outside that door. I need to pause and try to at least listen, if only for a short time. I need to at least acknowledge what this boy, his father and family are going through. I need to try to find some way, no matter how small, to make things a little better, or a little less painful for both of them, if I can. At the very least, I need to let them know that despite the impersonal chaos swirling outside the door, that someone appreciates the tragedy, the gravity, and the heartbreak they’re going through. Someday, I’ll have children, I think to myself. Someday this could be my child, or my family member. Someday this could be me.

“I had the perfect little family,” he says. “Then my son died. Shortly after that, my other son went off to college. My wife and I were ‘empty nesters.’ It was all too much for her. Then she left me,” he said with a distant sadness, as if the scars ran deep, but were distant and faded enough that he now was able to cope. “And then it was all gone.” He somehow manages a smile.

“Wow. I’m so sorry,” I say, mostly at a loss for words, having suddenly been pulled out of my mundane day, 10 years back, to an interaction that was very brief, that I had thought I had forgotten.

He smiles again. “I don’t want to keep you any longer. It looks like you’re having a busy day. Again, I just wanted to tell you I remembered you. You were very nice that day. And thanks,” he says, as he turns and walks away.

“Thank you,” I say, truly touched, and half-choking out the words myself. I turn and walk away. I put the computer down. I sit down. I take a deep breath. Somehow, I think to myself, somehow, I had made a difference. There was no life saved that day, no heart restarted. There was no great diagnosis or adrenaline-inducing procedure to be done. But despite all the frustrations, long days, stresses, and defeats, somehow I feel a little bit like George Bailey from the movie, “It’s A Wonderful Life,” and that an angel-like being had come to tell the faint vestige of the idealistic pre-med hopeful that still remained in me, “Keep up the good work. You’re making much more of a difference than you’ll ever know. Job well done.”

My eyes lock back down on to the computer screen to see who my next patient is going to be. I need to get back to work, as I’m falling farther behind. For a moment, my neck feels slightly better and my headache is gone. I look at the clock. My day is almost done.

http://banksy.co.uk/out.asp

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
EM is an awesome field.

It can be hard to appreciate sometimes because your patients don't always get to say thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Great post... good to remind the young'uns (and all of us, for that matter) that we may remember the great saves and profound losses, but the patients will sometimes remember what we consider mundane in a much different light. What's the "terminal brain cancer in room 10" to us, is someone's son/daughter/spouse/whatever... and that room has become the nexus of their life.

Reactions: 1 users
Great shock of perspective. Thank you.

Sincere thanks, to everyone who read or commented. (But, you all violated my instructions at the beginning of the post, by the way. Lol)

Last edited:
Decent post. I jest, amazing post! :D Keep up the good work Dr. Bird. Impacting lives is what being a physician is all about, no matter what specialty you choose.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this :)

Here lies the remains of a seemingly failed funny post. Don't mind me.

Last edited by a moderator:
@RespectTheChemistry19, @Robinson EM, @DJEMDOC, @kmb1908, @Daiphon, @Back 5, @Tri4thlete, @PlutoBoy,

I'd like to thank you all again for the comments and I have a question for you all. How come the haters (they know who they are) that love to criticize me and my posts, are nowhere to be found when I post something like this?

Why are you looking for a fight, when there is none? Why are you trying to polarize a whole group of people (now that you have one following you calling them "a bunch of twats")?

I read your stuff. You KNOW I do. I just didn't feel any compulsion to respond. Does that make ME a ****? Well, if anyone says that, apply it to yourselves. If you don't have anything nice to say, etc...

"Haters" "love to criticize" - do you really split like this? Maybe it's just because I'm a "grouper" and not a "separator", I don't divide people into factions, like "like me" and "hate me", because that is fallacious. We're all on the grey scale - there are no "black or white".

Here are two bits from cracked. com:

"Speaking of Mickey, every single terminally ill Make-a-Wish kid gets to meet him, and that's hard. And because of how often sick kids visit the park, it can be a painfully regular thing. The Fairy Godmother has it hardest: Kids ask her to cure them. If I made it to the second set without sobbing, it was usually a good day."

"So the people put up with all of the things on this list because they love it (the pay isn't bad, but no one will ever get rich working at the Disney parks). It sounds cheesy, but your whole day is creating these wonderful family moments for people. And while it is a company and of course they want to make piles of money, there is a surprising amount of leeway given to cast members in order to keep the guests happy.

Once, there was this little wheelchair-bound girl whom I helped to the front of a line for Mickey's magic show. Once the show started, I went over to the merchandise cart and grabbed a Mickey plush, saying I needed it for "guest recovery." While the little girl's dad was holding her up to watch the show, I quickly stuck the Mickey sorcerer plush into her tiny little wheelchair.

When he sat her back down, Mickey was waiting right there in the chair for her.

The little girl saw it, then turned around to her dad and said, "See! I told you he was magic!"

From here.

I talked to my wife about these. These tugged at the heart strings. But I didn't post about them.

But if you want all unicorns and rainbows, or comments thanking you, well, that's not human, because we all have our faults and differences. And, if you don't have anything nice to say...

Why are you looking for a fight, when there is none? Why are you trying to polarize a whole group of people (now that you have one following you calling them "a bunch of twats")?

I read your stuff. You KNOW I do. I just didn't feel any compulsion to respond. Does that make ME a ****? Well, if anyone says that, apply it to yourselves. If you don't have anything nice to say, etc...

"Haters" "love to criticize" - do you really split like this? Maybe it's just because I'm a "grouper" and not a "separator", I don't divide people into factions, like "like me" and "hate me", because that is fallacious. We're all on the grey scale - there are no "black or white".

Here are two bits from cracked. com:

"Speaking of Mickey, every single terminally ill Make-a-Wish kid gets to meet him, and that's hard. And because of how often sick kids visit the park, it can be a painfully regular thing. The Fairy Godmother has it hardest: Kids ask her to cure them. If I made it to the second set without sobbing, it was usually a good day."

"So the people put up with all of the things on this list because they love it (the pay isn't bad, but no one will ever get rich working at the Disney parks). It sounds cheesy, but your whole day is creating these wonderful family moments for people. And while it is a company and of course they want to make piles of money, there is a surprising amount of leeway given to cast members in order to keep the guests happy.

Once, there was this little wheelchair-bound girl whom I helped to the front of a line for Mickey's magic show. Once the show started, I went over to the merchandise cart and grabbed a Mickey plush, saying I needed it for "guest recovery." While the little girl's dad was holding her up to watch the show, I quickly stuck the Mickey sorcerer plush into her tiny little wheelchair.

When he sat her back down, Mickey was waiting right there in the chair for her.

The little girl saw it, then turned around to her dad and said, "See! I told you he was magic!"

From here.

I talked to my wife about these. These tugged at the heart strings. But I didn't post about them.

But if you want all unicorns and rainbows, or comments thanking you, well, that's not human, because we all have our faults and differences. And, if you don't have anything nice to say...
Sorry, I forgot to click on the "I'm just messin' with you, man" font.

(I was just poking fun, but not at you at all, since you rarely comment on most posts either way, but more poking fun back at those that are quick to drop negative comments like, "Your posts are too negative," but then are silent themselves when there's something positive posted. It's an irony I thought worth poking fun at, but nothing any of us should take too seriously.)

Last edited:
Whoa! I wasn't even serious. I like Bird's posts, yeah, but my goodness.