i speak un poquito espanol... this qualify on amcas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baby methuselah

booyakasha
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've had 4 years of spanish and my coach/best friends dad was my spanish teacher, so i can hold my own, but i'm by no means fluent. i could carry on a conversation w/ a little kid, but probably not a spanish doc:D... so should i put spanish on my aamcas or just let it go. thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Put it if you feel like you'd handle a couple of interview questions thrown at you in Spanish.

I didn't list my Spanish because I only studied it for 1.5 years in college, and while I was very good at it back then, I simply haven't used it for a very long time. While I feel comfortable reading a magazine in Spanish, having to carry an actual conversation at the interview level in it would be a disaster.

I listed my other languages on AMCAS and I plan on brushing them up before I fly to any interviews. You never know what happens.

i've had 4 years of spanish and my coach/best friends dad was my spanish teacher, so i can hold my own, but i'm by no means fluent. i could carry on a conversation w/ a little kid, but probably not a spanish doc:D... so should i put spanish on my aamcas or just let it go. thanks in advance
No.

Members don't see this ad :)
unless you're reasonably competent in conversation with educated adults, i'd say you're setting yourself up for a matanza.

Agreed. AMCAS asks if you're fluent. If you're not sure, you're not fluent.

If you really want to work in the fact you speak some Spanish, do so by mentioning when you've used it at a clinic or in the ED.

It's actually also the Spanish word for "slaughter." But i had to babelfish it. i'm witty that way.

HAHAHA that's AWESOME...but now i kinda feel bad for eating a tuna club for lunch :scared:
but not bad enough to not make me want another one tomorrow :love:

HAHAHA that's AWESOME...but now i kinda feel bad for eating a tuna club for lunch :scared:
but not bad enough to not make me want another one tomorrow :love:

That's MURDER...TASTY TASTY MURDER!!!!!
YUM

i can't really eat red meat much anymore, something in red meat makes me soooo sick :thumbdown: So i typically stay away from all meat most of the time, but i make up for my lack of consumption in leather outerwear ;)

mmmm...sacrilicious........

i can't really eat red meat much anymore, something in red meat makes me soooo sick :thumbdown: So i typically stay away from all meat most of the time, but i make up for my lack of consumption in leather outerwear ;)

mmmm...sacrilicious........

Hey...the hide has to be used for something!!!!

but i make up for my lack of consumption in leather outerwear

This thread is worthless without a PM of pictures. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone actually ever been called out on this? I thought i would be, as I checked the boxes for both french and spanish, but not once was I asked about my ability to speak either...

This thread is worthless without a PM of pictures. :laugh:

Are you asking me specifically to write "DKM" on my chest in red lipstick wearing a leather bustier??

...because i would have no idea what kind of pics you'd want :eek:

Hey...the hide has to be used for something!!!!

EXACTLY. The only thing that maintains man's superiority over dolphins is our ability to accessorize. Well...that and our uebercool opposable thumbs.

but wait till they develop those. ARMIES of dolphins with opposable thumbs....of darkness (<---spooky)

alors... je parle un peu de le français, mais je ne le mettrais pas sur mon AMCAS ou TMDSAS. Je ne suis encore très confortable avec parlant la langue, donc le mettant en une demande d'école de médecine est un plutôt risqué.

alors... je parle un peu de le fran&#231;ais, mais je ne le mettrais pas sur mon AMCAS ou TMDSAS. Je ne suis encore tr&#232;s confortable avec parlant la langue, donc le mettant en une demande d'&#233;cole de m&#233;decine est un plut&#244;t risqu&#233;.
Hmm. I don't speak French, but I totally understood this entire post.

Maybe I should add French to my AMCAS.:laugh:

However, all my other language checks are supported by my transcript, which displays lots of foreign language coursework, so I'm afraid the French would stick out a bit.

But then if they started talking to me in French, I'd be like "Oh, I only speak Quebecois, I don't understand your stupid Parisian French.":laugh: Ah, the old "I'm Canadian" loophole.

hahaha sometimes i really miss canada

mostly when i'm drinking american beer

Are you asking me specifically to write "DKM" on my chest in red lipstick wearing a leather bustier??

...because i would have no idea what kind of pics you'd want :eek:
Something like that..... :laugh:

sdn has some of the funniest people on the internet. thank you guys for being funny. (this is not my attempt at humor... i suck at being funny. but i appreciate those of you who are)

I mentioned that my spanish skills, while not fluent, were helpful. I had taken 4 years in high school as well.

EXACTLY. The only thing that maintains man's superiority over dolphins is our ability to accessorize. Well...that and our uebercool opposable thumbs.

but wait till they develop those. ARMIES of dolphins with opposable thumbs....of darkness (<---spooky)

Kangaroos already have opposable toes. I'm just waiting for them to take over.

sdn has some of the funniest people on the internet. thank you guys for being funny. (this is not my attempt at humor... i suck at being funny. but i appreciate those of you who are)

i just want to apologize for completely hijacking your thread. i can't give you any guarantee that it won't happen again, though; in fact i can pretty much assure you that it will, but while i am reasonably apologetic (read: not really all that sorry), this broke up the monotony of the evening a bit for me. Thank you for being so understanding ;)
kiss.gif

I totally had the same dilema, however, I had worked in a hospital and was one of the hospital's Spanish translators and was called in to translate even when I wasn't on the clock... and I was still so insecure about putting it in my application because I'm not a native speaker. I've taken Spanish in school since I was 8 years old and I lived in Spain for a little during high school and then did summer homestay programs in Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic, took advanced Spanish courses in college and I still was insecure. I finally ended up putting it in the application... I think I said that I was proficient in Spanish but not a native speaker. Something along those lines. I did mention my hospital translating. I figured that if the person interviewing me was a native speaker and put me to the test, that I would in fact be able to impress him/her and hold my own. So, that being said, I'd be inclined to say that taking some Spanish in high school does not qualify, unless you really became fairly fluent... just from working in a hospital and having to translate, the other workers who'd had some Spanish in high school were in NO shape to translate for a patient crying out in pain. So, be honest about your abilities, you can say you have knowledge of Spanish, but are not fluent, or that you speak "some" Spanish. It's vague enough so that it's still there, but you're not lying and wouldn't be embarrased if someone tested you in an interview.

maybe that's why there's only a check box and no level of proficiency. b/c everybody's had some sort of foreign language. i'll pass, i guess

tango el gato in los pantalones :thumbup: