I think I'm done for...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalmnt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a tough freshman year but have raised my GPA since then. Have done everything I can to raise it but my final GPA will be coming out to be 3.46 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA.

I've yet to take the MCAT yet but does it even matter at this point?

I have a ton of research, undergrad for credit + 2years summer internship + planning NIH-IRTA. Other activities such as club sports, working ~20 hours a week, president and founder of two clubs at school, and hospital and shadowing experience.

I know they say GPA isn't the end all but is a 3.5cGPA too low especially with the rising competitive applicants? By the time I'll apply it will be 2017-2018 cycle.

Should I forgo the NIH-IRTA and take loans so I can take masters courses to show I can get a higher GPA or should I focus 100% on the MCAT?

Sorry if this has already been asked... absolutely at a loss here. Barring my first year my GPA would be a 3.63 cGPA and 3.59 sGPA which isn't too great but still in consideration.

Do you think talking about my freshman year would help? It was more than just adjusting to college life, etc.

Update 1:
wrote this right after got off work. I gave myself a more realistic grade calculation for the semester and panicked a bit. Really didn't mean to discourage anyone if I had. Sorry for spamming the forum with something trivial and personal like this.. regardless THANKS for all the encouragement. surprisingly helped ALOT. Found that motivation to finish strong!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I had a tough freshman year but have raised my GPA since then. Have done everything I can to raise it but my final GPA will be coming out to be 3.46 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA.

I've yet to take the MCAT yet but does it even matter at this point?

I have a ton of research, undergrad for credit + 2years summer internship + planning NIH-IRTA. Other activities such as club sports, working ~20 hours a week, president and founder of two clubs at school, and hospital and shadowing experience.

I know they say GPA isn't the end all but is a 3.5cGPA too low especially with the rising competitive applicants? By the time I'll apply it will be 2017-2018 cycle.

Should I forgo the NIH-IRTA and take loans so I can take masters courses to show I can get a higher GPA or should I focus 100% on the MCAT?

Sorry if this has already been asked... absolutely at a loss here. Barring my first year my GPA would be a 3.63 cGPA and 3.59 sGPA which isn't too great but still in consideration.

Do you think talking about my freshman year would help? It was more than just adjusting to college life, etc.
You're borderline competitive for MD and competitive for DO. Get a good MCAT score and it could push you into the competitive zone for MD.

Reactions: 3 users
You're borderline competitive for MD and competitive for DO. Get a good MCAT score and it could push you into the competitive zone for MD.

Agreed. Don't quit just before the finish line.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you show an upwards trend coupled with a great MCAT score I see no reason why you can't be competitive for MDs or DOs

Worst case scenario, you can continue to improve your GPA after graduation to make it more competitive. Look up 'grade enhancement' post-baccs. I personally would avoid doing a Masters as their GPA appears separately from your undergrad GPA.

At the end of the day though, if your goal is to become a physician, don't give up when the doors are still wide open. These bumps in the road are there for us to show how badly we want something. There are many examples on here of people getting into med schools from much worse situations. Good luck!

You should definitely go ahead and take the MCAT and apply to both MD and DO. I think you're still competitive with a good MCAT score. I applied with a 3.5/511 and got three acceptances and an interview at a top 20 before withdrawing post interview because it was gonna be way too expensive. And I'm not URM or special at all. Don't discount yourself without trying! You may be surprised! I know I was.

I got in multiple places (allopathic) this cycle with a situation similar to yours. I did this by nailing the MCAT and very clearly being able to describe my previous shortcomings in a mature and responsible manner. I think you've got a shot and you are certainly NOT done for.

I was accepted this cycle with a 3.5c 3.4s 35 MCAT. I had 8 interviews, so it's definitely possible. Though, I did work really hard and accomplished with activities that I was passionate about, but it already seems like you have a ton of research.

I was accepted with that exact same GPA and less of an upward trend. n=1 but you're for sure not hopeless. Just nail the MCAT and make sure the rest off your app is as strong as it can be.

With GPA it's important to remember that it takes insane amounts of time to change and mech schools recognize that. A strong upward trend coupled with a good mcat will more than demonstrate you are capable of med school success.

Now if you take the MCAT and get like a 505 or whatever, then yea...gap year may be in order. But with a reasonable mcat you're very very far from sunk

You're 0.1 GPA points below the mean? May as well just jump off a bridge now and save yourself the trouble.

Sometimes I feel like people like you post this **** just to scare off the way worse applicants when in reality even they have a good chance at getting in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a 3.35 downward trend no volunteer no research and I still have good faith. Preparing for MCAT now. Don't worry brahs were all gonna make it.

I am a 3.35 downward trend no volunteer no research and I still have good faith. Preparing for MCAT now. Don't worry brahs were all gonna make it.
I see you're familiar with the great philosopher Zyzz.
I had a 3.1 BCPM and <30 mcat, Asian male and I'm an MD student. Just don't give up and apply very broadly.

thanks everyone it really helped a lot. This semester seems like it was going 100mph. I really appreciate the comments and encouragement!!! Going to take first year study HARD for the MCAT and see what comes of it. Sorry I didn't mean to sound melodramatic but the thought of MD-dreams slipping away frightened me a bit.