I think it's time I bow out of my

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raimes

Third time is NOT a charm
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
determination to be a vet..

My gre's are crap..

my gpa is even more crap..

cum is 2.7
science is 2.5

I think I'm done.. good luck all.

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen those with similar stats get in after an impressive master's program or after having let their pre-reqs expire and then retaking them... or you could always try for Ross. It's your choice, though. If you are really 'done' with vet med, what will you do instead?

what kind of master's program? And I'd have to wait years for my pre-reqs to expire.

And as for being done.. I have no idea, I've never wanted to do anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
what kind of master's program? And I'd have to wait years for my pre-reqs to expire.

And as for being done.. I have no idea, I've never wanted to do anything else.

If you've never wanted to do anything else...then why give up without trying everything you possibly can to get there??? Don't let go of your dreams if this is what you really want.

Those were only two suggestions. For the master's, just whatever you might be interested in. It would help if it was relevant to the field in some way. Just know that a master's is a lot of work and you would have to be dedicated to it to succeed.

As for the coursework expiring, well, you can just retake things now (or take higher level courses) and go with that... some schools (KSU and Western, off the top of my head) replace grades in retaken classes rather than average.

Also, a lot of schools put an emphasis on your 'last 45' GPA, which would be some of the more recent courses you've taken.

No matter what route you choose, you would need to figure out where your major downfall has been in the past (studying? memorization? a specific subject?) and really step it up. You would need to prove to the adcoms that you HAVE gotten it figured out and you CAN succeed in many upper level courses at once.

So, if it's what you really REALLY want and nothing else will make you happy, then don't give up. But you have to take it very seriously... and make a big change. Otherwise you won't really make any progress towards your goal.

Have you seriously considered Ross? It could save you some time and trouble if you are 100% sure you're ready to hit the ground running...

this sounds like a cry for help?

if vet's all you've ever wanted to do, consider applying overseas. some overseas unis have > 20% acceptance rate for international students. you may think the bar is lower, but all you really have to worry about is getting in and then getting out.

i've met lots of people from vet schools all over the world - costa rica, mexico, the carribean, italy. overwhelmingly, vets from non-avma schools are equally as qualified as those of us who do/did attend avma schools. i like to say vet school is what you make of it.

going abroad may open new doors for you, as well. you never know where it might take you.

above all else, you must make it happen. nobody's going to give it to you.

I could do a masters but I've just hit a cross road I'm going to be 25 in a year, and I have a successful horse showing career and going over sees is just not going to do it, nor is ross. I can't take my animals honestly they are my life..

I just don't know how you guys do it. And honestly, I've been diagnosed with many things in the past 4 years, physically, and mentally, and overcoming it has been super tough.. so I guess that's it. I'm sorry guys.. just a minor freak out.

There are folks in my class that are well over 30...and maybe even over 40! 25 is young.

I get the freak outs, I still get them from time to time. At 25 I was pretty sure I would never have a chance in hell at getting into a vet school. With my very less than stellar grades (think below a 2.5) I was sure they'd laugh my application out of the pool at first glance. I'm 29 today and in about 2 weeks I start my first year at the OSU :p. I went back and redid a lot of classes and took 19 credit semesters with honors courses to try an undo my previous damage. I consistently volunteered with organizations I was really passionate about and that helped me force myself to do well in classes, it gave me the best motivation in the world.
If you really, really want this you'll have to sacrifice a lot for it. It just depends on what you can live with most. Can you sacrifice your current career in showing or would you regret it later on? If you can't put that on hold for now can you live with pursuing a different career path? You have to decide where your biggest regret will be, is it in giving up on vet med or giving everything up for it?
And if 25 is old, I'm screwed, may as well sign up for my SS and dentures today.

in about 2 weeks I start my first year at the OSU .

Wow... at Mississippi we've taken 2 exams already (another on Wednesday), I assumed everyone started already. Is OSU late, or Miss just really early?

Have fun your first week, it's amazing how fast it all gets 'old'.

And if 25 is old, I'm screwed, may as well sign up for my SS and dentures today.

Turned 30 about a month ago... see you on the AARP line!

@ OP

I have almost as bad grades as you in undergrad. Everyone's suggestion is valid, but let me reemphasize, if you haven't figured out what you are doing wrong, then a Masters isn't going to help you (yet). You really have to figure out what you need to change, and MAKE THAT change, before grad work will help you, otherwise you will be in the same boat your in now, you will just have a MS to add after your name.

Good luck to you!

Wow... at Mississippi we've taken 2 exams already (another on Wednesday), I assumed everyone started already. Is OSU late, or Miss just really early?

The OSU is on the quarter system. So while you have two 15 week semesters, we have three 10 week quarters. So our fall quarter starts later then everyone else and we start back shortly after new year and go farther into the summer.

Oregon State hasn't started yet either...counting down to the 23rd.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for the input.. my bad grades were 2 or 3 years ago, obviously I haven't been able to bring up my gpa enough. I'm working on making this year a good year.. so no I'm not giving up yet. But I mean for the application cycle.. I have no clue really I don't.

The old part is because of my situation.. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

So I probably shouldn't even waste my time applying this year right?

don't give up!!!!! i can't speak for all schools but there are some that have different approaches to admissions. some look at the overall student not just grades/scores, and take into consideration special circumstances. others weigh the gre very low (from the VMSAR, apparently ohio state only weighs that portion 10% of the overall application process). you could also start studying now (and maybe even take a gre prep course?) in attempt to raise your score for a later test date if you either don't get in this year or decide not to apply until next year. please don't give up! especially if this is the only thing you have ever wanted to do. chances are you'll really regret it later.

As an 'old' first year, I wouldn't necessarily apply with those stats, mostly because unless you have significant cause/explanation and strong evidence that you can perform the work next year, it may be a lot of money without a return.

I wouldn't rule myself out permenantly if this has always been your goal (but be ready to explain why you didn't perform exceptionally well if it has always been your goal) because many of us felt the same way and put our dreams on the shelv only to have them creep back into our lives repeatedly, demanding the opportunity to achieve. My experience suggests that the requirements for admission and the stats of students continue to rise over time, and I find it far harder to give up things like my home, big chunks of my marriage, my gardens, etc...things I didn't necessarily have when I was younger.

You could also contact the schools you are interested and get some direct info.

The only thing I might add to the discussion, and I do not know your situation, is maybe you need to simplify your life, and not travel/have so many outside activities. School is a job, and vet school is going to be more than a 40 hr/week job! As pretty much everyone here knows ad nausium, I myself had a very successful career showing dogs before I made the decision to go to vet school. When I decided to make the commitment to returning and getting my DVM, I had to give up my former life. I did not like it, and I still miss the fun and the $, but being a student, much less a vet, has to be your first priority if you are going to be successful. You still have time to fix your past misdeeds, but yes you do probably need to be closer to the 3.8 range from now on -- can and are you willing to do that? How bad do you really want this, and what are you willing to sacrifice? As I said, I do not know you or your situation, but from your brief synopsis, it sounds like you might want to think about paring down to one or two favorite horses, and laying off the circuit for a few years. There will be time to go back and show your own once you are done with school. BTW, 25 is FAR from old. :p Good luck.:luck:

Everyone has given good advice so far. I would just like to add that it sounds like you need to choose between careers at this point? If 'successful' on the horse show circuit is equating to a career for you, then it sounds like you do need to make a choice. If showing is not the end-all-be-all for you, then like Caninerepro said, it might be time to make the transition from traveling all over, training hours upon hours with your horses and really concentrate on your vet career. This does start with treating school as your job until you reach your goal.

BTW, I too am an oldie but goodie at 38. And yes, as you get older it becomes more difficult to give up/sacrifice the material things and relationships that you've worked so hard to attain. 25 may seem old to you, but in the grand scheme of things, you have plenty-o-time to do this the right way.

Good Luck and don't give up if it is something you will end up regretting.

i transferred into cal poly pomona with under a 3.0 gpa. i think it was like a 2.8(and 220 units).

anyway, i spent 2 yrs trying to get great grades and brought it up to a 3.16. my cal poly gpa was a 3.6, so that was sorta upsetting that my overall didnt go up much.

anyway, i got hours in a little bit of everything and i got wait-listed at michigan and i'm in the vet prep program at CSU.

my point: YOU CAN DO IT! get stellar grades in the next couple of years in all your upper division courses and get experience in things that you dont have experience in. :)

good luck!

Oregon State hasn't started yet either...counting down to the 23rd.:)

counting down to the 5th of October (for official class start - orientation starts 28th September).

but seriously. i'm 33, and have had two previous careers. plus varied and sundry issues in my life (low undergrad GPA, personal issues with legal ramifications, etc., etc., etc.). sort of balanced by a respectable post-baccalaureate GPA (3.65) and broad and deep animal experience. but i honestly thought the negative factors were possibly insurmountable. you know where it went?

at tufts, my interviewer started off by saying: "Your application is interesting. You checked some boxes that we don't usually see - let's get that part out of the way so that we can move on." so we covered it, moved on, and i was wait-listed.

at glasgow, my interviewer said "wow, that (sic: legal ramifications) strikes us as a bit harsh. can we talk about that for a moment and move on?" so we talked about it for a moment, moved on, and i got accepted the next day.

at RVC, they didn't bat an eyelash, didn't mention it, and i'm starting (as previously noted) on 28th September.

all three schools noted that i was not the stereotypical "perfect" candidate (is there really one?), and took into account that i was more than the sum of my statistics.

so, echoing everyone else who has responded . . . if you commit yourself to this, you can do it. :)

First of all, as an ancient 30 year old that has a couple years before I can apply, your age isn't an issue. If you were 50 your age wouldn't be an issue. That is not to say that being older doesn't make it harder due to added responsibility, financial ties, etc. It does. But it makes it harder, not impossible. It's just that if it's all you want to do, then spending the next 30 years doing something that comes 2nd to your first choice career is a lot worse option than spending the next year or two undoing your past mistakes so you can get where you want to be.

I've dealt with personal and health issues as well, which is a big reason why I am making up for a less than stellar GPA right now. That's life, and it's tough, and you become a wiser, stronger person for it and move on. Yes, I still have personal problems, yes I still have health issues, but I can now deal with them in a much better way than I did 5 years ago. It may have taken me a long time to get here, but I rather be working my butt off retaking classes and learning how to improve study habits than spending the rest of my life asking "what if."

Just my two cents. *Getting off the soapbox now.* :p

It may have taken me a long time to get here, but I rather be working my butt off retaking classes and learning how to improve study habits than spending the rest of my life asking "what if."

:highfive: And that's how vets are made :D

There are several 30+'s in my class, myself included. I'd almost say the average is mid to late 20's. Age is really not a problem, it is almost an advantage I promise.

Thank you guys I am going to study for the GRE and apply for some graduate programs I will do this.

Maybe not this year.. but soon. :rolleyes:

Hey if you REALLY want this, go for it with everything you have. I cheer you. But if you have any nagging doubts, don't bother. As has been said before; vet med is all about passion, not a logical decision.

So, from here on out kick ass and nail all your classes. Don't bother to look back on the past you cannot change. I overcame a really crappy first try GPA, did pretty well finishing my BS, then really turned it on doing a one year MS. I was so fortunate as to receive several offers on my first application cycle, but not one from my instate. :luck: You can do it too, if this is what you really want. :)

Hey if you REALLY want this, go for it with everything you have. I cheer you. But if you have any nagging doubts, don't bother. As has been said before; vet med is all about passion, not a logical decision.
:)

And just to be my typical self, I will disagree with CaninePro (old habits die hard and I am procrastinating studying for a physio exam) and say that if it ISN'T a logical decision, don't do it. If you can't live happily with the debts you will incur and the wages you will earn, do something else. If you can't hack being away from an SO and your SO isn't going to move with you, don't bother. If spending a full day in classes and a full evening studying isn't your cup of tea, and you aren't willing to embrace that lifestyle for at least 4 years, don't do it.

Having said that, there are tons of options of how, when, and where you use a DVM degree. I learn of more options every day, ones I had never even imagined. You do have to be pretty dedicated to get there, but I believe nagging doubts are VERY normal, even AFTER admissions. There are days (when faced with colic duties the night before a major exam) where I STILL have MAJOR doubts, and I love vet school...and colic rounds, and even the challenge of the exams. If you look back over the past year's posts, alot of us first years had doubts before, during, and after both the application and acceptance processes. I do not consider myself passionate about being a vet. I love what I am learning, but I feel the field is so varied that I don't have an idealized image of what a 'vet' is, or even what I want to do as a vet. I have several years to figure it out, though, and I will enjoy all the opportunities to explore.

And just to be my typical self, I will disagree with CaninePro (old habits die hard and I am procrastinating studying for a physio exam) and say that if it ISN'T a logical decision, don't do it. If you can't live happily with the debts you will incur and the wages you will earn, do something else. If you can't hack being away from an SO and your SO isn't going to move with you, don't bother. If spending a full day in classes and a full evening studying isn't your cup of tea, and you aren't willing to embrace that lifestyle for at least 4 years, don't do it.

Having said that, there are tons of options of how, when, and where you use a DVM degree. I learn of more options every day, ones I had never even imagined. You do have to be pretty dedicated to get there, but I believe nagging doubts are VERY normal, even AFTER admissions. There are days (when faced with colic duties the night before a major exam) where I STILL have MAJOR doubts, and I love vet school...and colic rounds, and even the challenge of the exams. If you look back over the past year's posts, alot of us first years had doubts before, during, and after both the application and acceptance processes. I do not consider myself passionate about being a vet. I love what I am learning, but I feel the field is so varied that I don't have an idealized image of what a 'vet' is, or even what I want to do as a vet. I have several years to figure it out, though, and I will enjoy all the opportunities to explore.

Yes SummerS and I are incapable of agreeing on so much as the colour of the sky. :p Myself I think it is HER problem, not mine, but... Also, what is wrong with leaving one's SO in another state -- if they don't want to come with then forget them. :smuggrin:

Look, there are a lot of people in the field, for a lot of different reasons. SS is pretty much at one extreme, I am in about the opposite to where she is. I got tired of having money, so took my voluntary vow of poverty, and the empty house thing. I like my dogs better than "She Who Shall Not Be Named" anyhow. :laugh:

Yes SummerS and I are incapable of agreeing on so much as the colour of the sky. :p Myself I think it is HER problem, not mine, but... Also, what is wrong with leaving one's SO in another state -- if they don't want to come with then forget them. :smuggrin:

Look, there are a lot of people in the field, for a lot of different reasons. SS is pretty much at one extreme, I am in about the opposite to where she is. I got tired of having money, so took my voluntary vow of poverty, and the empty house thing. I like my dogs better than "She Who Shall Not Be Named" anyhow. :laugh:

LOL. My hubby IS in a different state! But anyone who tells me money doesn't matter at all has never lacked for the basic necessities for any long periods of their life. I have heard a lot of 'money doesn't matter on here' and yet it always seems to weigh in decisions eventually. My definition of poverty doesn't include roofs, food, or education....or 100k jobs.