I think I've decided! - Now I Need a little Help :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyOwnPath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

If you remember, I posted about CRNA vs DO and had a really hard time deciding. After reading everyone's comments and doing a lot of thinking, I think I will pursue a medical degree instead of CRNA. I think, given my background (non-traditional app, 2 bachelors degrees, one in nursing, working full time as a nurse), DO school is a better fit as they seem to be more accepting of the non-traditional applicants. I really like LECOM, so I'm striving for them even though I have no idea how hard it will be to get in.

Now some help - I started at a CC, transferred to an Ivy League, then graduated from there. At the CC, I took Gen Chem I and II, and Biology I and II (A in all). I took Organic at the ivy league and made a C-. I didn't take the lab or the second part. I took physics and made a W (it was mostly self taught and I don't learn well that way). So now I have to retake Orgo I and II and Physics I and II...but I honestly can't do them at a 4 year due to costs....and none of the nearby CC's offer them at a schedule I can meet without quitting work so...I guess I will have to take them online. Yikes, I know..so my questions!

1. I know this is going to look bad: pre-reqs at CC, go to ivy league and do horrible in upper level pre-reqs (C- and W), then go back to an online school (maybe even an online CC!) to finish them. Will this doom me? I don't know what else to do!

2. Does anyone know of a NY state public college that offers online Physics AND Organic Chemistry. I want to take advantage of TAP, which is a grant in NY, but the college has to be in NY state and I have to be full time (hence I need both physics and orgo to be available). And of course, I need distance learning. I can't find this at all. I could also do it at a private NY college as long as it isn't super expensive.

3. Should I even try this? I'm thinking my record isn't going to let me go to medical school - I have a 4.0 from a CC, a 3.2 from an Ivy League (with a C- in organic and a W), and a 4.0 from an accelerated nursing program....with all pre-reqs from CC possibly. This sounds bad enough...but the REALLY bad thing is number 4 (below).

4. I remembered something after looking at my record and GPA that I had COMPLETELY forgotten about...I took 3 courses one summer from an online community college and then forgot about them and failed. They were worth a total of 6 credits, and I received a W (in a 3 credit creative writing course) and an F in medical terminology (1 credit) and an F in nutrition (2 credits). This happened because I signed up for these courses to meet my nursing school pre-reqs (nutrition and medical terminology), but what I thought were summer courses were actually like 5 months long and lasted into my junior year at my main university. The assignments were so infrequent that I forgot about the courses once school started back up, and the next thing I know I have 3 F's. Only the creative writing professor understood my story and changed it to a W, but the others are there to stay.

So...advice/help? Yikes, I know. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You need to talk to a school directly. I highly doubt they will accept online courses for your pre-reqs and if they do it won't be from any old 'school'.

May want to look into an SMP or post-bacc. Sticking with your desire for online you should check out UNECOM's online post-bacc (no idea on how respectable it is) http://www.une.edu/com/online/postbac/index.cfm

Also, head over to this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12471330#post12471330

Dr. Midlife and Robflanker will give you the straight dope on how you stand (be prepared, it will not be sugar-coated).

Good luck!

Last edited: