I thought I was getting a 29, but I got a 37!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoulinNeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I have already gotten my AMCAS and AACOMAS verified. I just got my MCAT score in yesterday, and it was a 37S, which is much higher than I was expecting. Here's the deal with me. I was a pre-law student who switched to pre-med late in my Junior year of undergrad. I was a Political Science major and I minored in Psychology. My EC's are that I did an internship at a local courthouse for a semester, I did research in the Psych department of my undergrad for two semesters (no papers published, nothing major), I have about 70 hours or so of shadowing. I have been volunteering at a public clinic since early 2010, and I have been volunteering at a public hospital since early 2011 (about five hours a week, each). My overall GPA is a 3.9, and my science GPA is a 4.0.

Now, here are my weaknesses. I only have the barebones classes (plus Calculus I and some statistics classes). I have taken Gen Bio I & II (with labs), Gen Chem I & II (with labs), Physics I & II (with labs), Calculus I, Orgo I & II (with labs), and I will be taking A&P1 this Fall. Also, I ended up taking Physics II, Orgo I & II, and I will be taking A&P1 at a local CC. I had already graduated from my undergrad university by the time I had to take those classes, and I couldn't spend that much money or fit my schedule around anything other than the CC classes. I'm hoping my MCAT score can help alleviate concerns about the CC classes (I had some really good Profs there too, with years of experience at top Uni's).

Now, I really just want to get into a Med School in Chicago (and I've applied to all of them here, as well as many all over the country), so I should ask what are my chances at the schools in Chicago? Do I have a legitimate shot at Northwestern or U of Chicago, or a chance at getting some merit based fin aid at the others? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Now, I really just want to get into a Med School in Chicago (and I've applied to all of them here, as well as many all over the country), so I should ask what are my chances at the schools in Chicago? Do I have a legitimate shot at Northwestern or U of Chicago, or a chance at getting some merit based fin aid at the others? Thanks!

Congratulations! Your stats are certainly in range for UChicago, however Pritzker really emphasizes the fit and personality of their class. You really have to stand out in a certain way in order to be seen as a viable candidate in their eyes. During your secondaries, pull out all your stops to express yourself as a unique person outside of your medical experiences.

It's absolutely fine that you took the barebones of prereqs as it seemed like you switched majors and stuff.

Northwestern seems to emphasize research a little more, so if you can find research experience, get on that right away, even if you are applying this year. You can always update adcoms in the middle of the cycle about your research anyway.

OK, so I have already gotten my AMCAS and AACOMAS verified. I just got my MCAT score in yesterday, and it was a 37S, which is much higher than I was expecting. Here's the deal with me. I was a pre-law student who switched to pre-med late in my Junior year of undergrad. I was a Political Science major and I minored in Psychology. My EC's are that I did an internship at a local courthouse for a semester, I did research in the Psych department of my undergrad for two semesters (no papers published, nothing major), I have about 70 hours or so of shadowing. I have been volunteering at a public clinic since early 2010, and I have been volunteering at a public hospital since early 2011 (about five hours a week, each). My overall GPA is a 3.9, and my science GPA is a 4.0.

Now, here are my weaknesses. I only have the barebones classes (plus Calculus I and some statistics classes). I have taken Gen Bio I & II (with labs), Gen Chem I & II (with labs), Physics I & II (with labs), Calculus I, Orgo I & II (with labs), and I will be taking A&P1 this Fall. Also, I ended up taking Physics II, Orgo I & II, and I will be taking A&P1 at a local CC. I had already graduated from my undergrad university by the time I had to take those classes, and I couldn't spend that much money or fit my schedule around anything other than the CC classes. I'm hoping my MCAT score can help alleviate concerns about the CC classes (I had some really good Profs there too, with years of experience at top Uni's).

You seem like a strong applicant. I would be very optimistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just wondering at what my chances are for some merit based scholarships, but I don't know how they work. Do schools just give them to you? Do you have to specifically apply to them? Would I have a chance?

I'm just wondering at what my chances are for some merit based scholarships, but I don't know how they work. Do schools just give them to you? Do you have to specifically apply to them? Would I have a chance?

I'd say you're in good shape for a scholarship. Maybe not to a top 5 or top 10 school, but definitely to a state school, mid-tier, and maybe even a top 25 school. I know someone with a 4.0/39 who got a full scholarship to Washington U in St Louis. You're not too far off from that.

I'd say you're in good shape for a scholarship. Maybe not to a top 5 or top 10 school, but definitely to a state school, mid-tier, and maybe even a top 25 school. I know someone with a 4.0/39 who got a full scholarship to Washington U in St Louis. You're not too far off from that.
What is a top 25 school? Anyone out there have this list?

What is a top 25 school? Anyone out there have this list?

US News and World Report has two lists they publish every year. The Research lists tends to be referred to more often. Their actual value is debatable amongst the SDN community. You can literally google, best med schools, and it will pop up.

So, I guess I should ask specifically, then, after doing some research. What do people think my chances are at these schools?

Rush
U of I
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola-Stritch
Northwestern
U of C

Scholarships, just general admission chances?

Anyone think I've got a chance at Harvard/Yale/Stanford, etc?

Anyone think I've got a chance at Harvard/Yale/Stanford, etc?

With a 3.9 you ought to try one or two... Just so you can say you tired. Pick the cheapest app of Hopkins, HYPS and see what happens!

Aren't my stats in line for those schools (I don't think any of them are higher than a 37 average, except for I think Washington?), or does that mean nothing when dealing with these schools? Any more opinions on uChicago, Northwestern, or scholarships in general?

OP, just realize that a majority of the posters in this thread haven't started or even applied to medical school yet, so they're in the same boat as you. Take their advice with a grain of salt. Apply to where you want and worry about your chances after you receive an interview (or rejection)

OP, just realize that a majority of the posters in this thread haven't started or even applied to medical school yet, so they're in the same boat as you. Take their advice with a grain of salt. Apply to where you want and worry about your chances after you receive an interview (or rejection)
Yeah, that's true, but I guess it's nice to get some idea of it.

with your stats the key thing to having the right "fit" for the individual schools. I would concentrate on the secondary essays at this point, make sure you understand what each school desires and design your answers for that

Aren't my stats in line for those schools (I don't think any of them are higher than a 37 average, except for I think Washington?), or does that mean nothing when dealing with these schools? Any more opinions on uChicago, Northwestern, or scholarships in general?

Once you're talking about the top tier schools, your stats are secondary to the rest of your application. All your stats will do at this point is prevent you from being screened initially. These schools tend to look for significant EC's and activities in and out of medicine. Just because you have a great GPA and MCAT, doesn't mean anything if you don't have a strong application beyond just your grades.

Once you're talking about the top tier schools, your stats are secondary to the rest of your application. All your stats will do at this point is prevent you from being screened initially. These schools tend to look for significant EC's and activities in and out of medicine. Just because you have a great GPA and MCAT, doesn't mean anything if you don't have a strong application beyond just your grades.
Yeah, I can understand that. I guess I should just be happy that my GPA and MCAT will at least hopefully get me looked at. Honestly, though, I'm more interested in a scholarship from a lower tiered school.

Yeah, I can understand that. I guess I should just be happy that my GPA and MCAT will at least hopefully get me looked at. Honestly, though, I'm more interested in a scholarship from a lower tiered school.

Lower-tiered schools typically have much less money available to give out. The endowment at the more established schools allow them to hand out more money, despite the fact that many more people may 'deserve' merit scholarships.

Lower-tiered schools typically have much less money available to give out. The endowment at the more established schools allow them to hand out more money, despite the fact that many more people may 'deserve' merit scholarships.
Are you familiar at all with Stritch, Rush, or U of I's endowment? Do you think I have a reasonably chance of receiving something from any of them?