I took my MCAT 3 times

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SanjanaVermont

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First two were in the low 20's, third was 32.

Very proud of my last MCAT Score.

Don't know if I should go straight DO. My pre-med advisor said most MD schools don't read applications from people who have taken the MCAT more than 2 times.

Members don't see this ad.

If everything else is excellent, your "reach" schools should have a median of 31.
Your targets should be an average of the last two scores.
If there are no non-mission based MD schools with a median of the average of your last two scores , consider adding DO schools.

Reactions: 2 users
First two were in the low 20's, third was 32.

Very proud of my last MCAT Score.

Don't know if I should go straight DO. My pre-med advisor said most MD schools don't read applications from people who have taken the MCAT more than 2 times.
delete

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For what it's worth, I've taken the MCAT 4 times and was accepted to a strong MD program for the fall! Obviously my experience represents a small sample size, but I wouldn't give up on pursuing an MD degree if that's something you feel strongly about.

Hey congrats so much, mind if I ask if you had any MCATs in the 20s like me?

Congratulations on the 32!!!

I say shoot for the stars. I'm really glad I did, despite some stats-based red flags. Cast your net wide and deep; you never know which schools will want you despite the first two hiccups.

Also, your premed advisor is wrong. Most schools read every application that meets minimum GPA and MCAT thresholds, and they definitely won't throw out an application with a 32 MCAT without looking at it. Many SDN-ers have been accepted to MD schools with multiple previous scores in the 20's.

Reactions: 1 users
I know someone with a very similar set of scores (took the MCAT three times: 24, 23, 32) and he was accepted at 3 MD schools (one of them is US News top 20). He's not URM, but he had a strong essay and a 3.8 gpa. Apply to a wide range of MD schools. Also apply to some DO schools. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user