I used my middle name as my first name when registering for the mcat...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omegaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is really embarrassing...

So I recently changed my first name and making my former first name my middle name. I didn't realize this problem with AAMC until after the silver deadline, so calling AAMC won't help. My test is in two days...

Now my driver's license has my MCAT-registered first name as my middle name. I have government-issued proof that I changed my name though, and I'll bring that to Prometric. Also, my passport has my former first and last name so I'll probably bring that as well.

I am having a panic attack. Will they not let me take the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can change your name online... best to call AAMC to be sure. They will clarify what you can or cannot do.

As long as you demonstrate the name you registered the MCAT with (on AAMC site) matches with a government issued photo ID, then you're golden.
So in your case you say you have a passport that has same first/last name as the AAMC Registration Page so you're OK for taking the test.

I wish you all the best with your MCAT test!

This is really embarrassing...

So I recently changed my first name and making my former first name my middle name. I didn't realize this problem with AAMC until after the silver deadline, so calling AAMC won't help. My test is in two days...

Now my driver's license has my MCAT-registered first name as my middle name. I have government-issued proof that I changed my name though, and I'll bring that to Prometric. Also, my passport has my former first and last name so I'll probably bring that as well.

I am having a panic attack. Will they not let me take the MCAT?
Yeah, only bring the passport and you're golden. No need to even inform Prometric of the whole name mix-up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, technically the passport is invalid since I already changed my legal name. Oh well, I hope they won''t figure it out.

Well, technically the passport is invalid since I already changed my legal name. Oh well, I hope they won''t figure it out.
Is the expiration date not passed yet? Prometric isn't running a criminal background check on you, they're eyeballing your passport and taking a picture of it. Then fingerprinting the crap outta you.
AAMC tells you what you need: Gov't issued ID with your pic, a signature, the name you are registered under, and an expiration date in the future. Just wait until after your test and then figure out how to change your name on the AAMC login - giving them proof of name change at that point. I doubt they'll go back and worry about the date on the name change paperwork vs the date of your test.