I want to go to TCNJ and then med school but are there better options?

VeggieForce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SAT:
720 CR
630 Math <- I know i messed up in math. I am good at math, but Idk what happened. Took SAT 3 times.
700 Writing
=2050 SAT

GPA: 4.65
Top 5% of class
My school doesnt use the gpa out of 4.0 scale.

I want to become a doctor, therfore, go to undergrad and then med school.
Currently, I really like TCNJ. It's a great public institution with good education, teachers, and environment. I really liked it when i visited it.

Are there better options to go to? Would i be able to go to any top schools? Ivy League is out of the question, but maybe schools like Haverford, Amherst, William and Mary, Swarthmore, Georgetown??
I really like TCNJ, but do you think there are better options for me and my future to become a doctor? or should i stick with TCNJ, have fun, and obtain a good gpa?
Or is the top schools experience more worth it??

Members don't see this ad.

It definitely depends on what you want. I would apply to different types of schools and then see from there. TCNJ is a really nice school and is pretty hard to get into. You'll probably have a good time if you go there.

I'm just wondering if I should go to a "better" school even though TCNJ is one of the top state schools in northeast. Should i look for more elite schools? or stay with TCNJ since i'm liking it a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to TCNJ and did well. I'm finishing up a Radiation Oncology residency at UCSF. Many of my friends did well and went to top med schools. For biology majors, here is a list of med schools where TCNJ students have been accepted:

Medical Schools
M.D./Ph.D. Programs
Weill Cornell Medical College/Rockefeller University/Memorial Sloan-Kettering
Washington University
Yale University
Case Western Reserve University
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
University of Alabama, Birmingham
University of Iowa

M.D. or D.O. Programs
University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ - New Jersey Medical School (Newark)
University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ - School of Osteopathic Medicine (Stratford)
University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ - Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins Medical School
Georgetown University School of Medicine
McGill University (Ontario)
New York University
Dartmouth Medical School
Temple University
Tulane University
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
California Osteopathic College
St. George's University
Medical College of Pennsylvania
Drexel University College of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

I'm just wondering if I should go to a "better" school even though TCNJ is one of the top state schools in northeast. Should i look for more elite schools? or stay with TCNJ since i'm liking it a lot.

I would just go to TCNJ. Going somewhere you like will make life a lot easier, and it isn't a bad school.

It's less about where you go and more about what you do there. Having the school name on your resume will not make up for low GPA/MCAT, poorly written essay, or a lack of medical volunteer experience. TCNJ is a great school and if your numbers are right you shouldn't have a problem getting in. Just get your apps out early like everyone else.