I was accepted to a school BUT....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superzooi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
They told me to pay a $750 non-refundable amount by check or money order to them in order to guarantee a spot. However, I was reluctant to do so because I was still waiting decision from other schools. I tried to contact them but they are NEVER there. The money should've been due 3 days ago but I still haven't send them that so the question here I'm asking is that "Is my spot gonna be nullified or are they still going to hold it?":eek:

Members don't see this ad.

If the money was due 3 days ago, chances are that your spot is nullified. Deposits to hold your spot are pretty standard nowadays.

Yep once u pass the deadline to pay the deposit the school automatically closed your application and your spot is nullified.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a pretty steep price. But yeah, tough luck your spot is probably given to someone else. Good luck on your waiting schools.

Someone else was likely pulled from the waitlist. Just think...you may have made someone happy whose first choice was that school! Good luck on the remaining schools.

I would have thought that seeking the answer to this question would have been much more important before the deadline passed rather than after the deadline has already passed..

Here is a dumb question.. This is a "deposit" correct? So, this amount will be applied to your tuition upon entry to the school right?

Here is a dumb question.. This is a "deposit" correct? So, this amount will be applied to your tuition upon entry to the school right?

Yup, they credit it towards your tuition once you matriculate to their school!

I guess the OP's issue was that he / she wasn't sure if she/he would go to the school and didn't want to waste 750$. Well...hopefully the OP will get into his/her top choice..

Yeah, but if OP doesn't get in anywhere else this cycle, a wasted year now translates into $100k of lost future pharmacist earnings.

$750 now vs $100K later. I wonder which I'd pick :whistle:

This is the game, isn't it? Get into your favorite school, but make sure you don't get stuck in the cold. It's difficult with limited funds.

To the OP, if you still are interested in going to that school & willing to pay the deposit, keep calling / e-mail until you have a concrete answer. The answer is probably no, but don't make a rookie mistake by not getting an answer.

I would have thought that seeking the answer to this question would have been much more important before the deadline passed rather than after the deadline has already passed..

That's the crux of it...

I recently had a deposit check arrive five weeks after the due date, with no prior request for an extension and no explanation as to why it was late. That seat was long gone.

I completely understand your hesitancy to send someone what could basically be just a generous donation, but $750 [would have been] a small price to pay to ensure that you had a seat somewhere.

Unless you've asked for an extension, your seat is now occupied. Best of luck on your other schools.