I will Help Wreb Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prosthoman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post any questions you have I will try to help you as much as I can in my best ability.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not constantly getting them but would say 2 out of 5 preps I do.. also what is the obturation tech. you would suggest, because mine doesn't seem to be working out.
I'd be glad to read through your own technique for doing it to see if I can spot any potential trouble spots. In school we used cold lateral condensation. You can look up if you need to, but I don't have time to write out a complete recipe.

40% is a pretty high rate of apical voids, though; my original offer still stands if you're interested. If not, good luck on the exam.

then stick sealer in with accessory and after that put in master
There's (most likely) your problem. The whole point of having standardized master cones is that you put the proper size master cone to fit your apical preparation. Once you get the master point in place, obturate the rest of the way with accessory cones.

my master cone fits well. no prob. there.... but I still seem to get some voids
If you're putting an accessory cone in prior to your master, of course you're getting a snug fit--because you're not getting the master cone all the way down your preparation. Are you taking a working radiograph after fitting your master cone? If not, you should.

Otherwise, just make sure you're applying adequate pressure with the spreader between cones, avoid dislodging your obturation when removing the spreader, and make sure its size corresponds to the cones you're using (i.e. 2 for fine/fine, 3 for med/fine, etc.). Other than that I don't know what to suggest.

Members don't see this ad :)
that class is the worst class you can take
his name is doctor gilber, terrible person
who just care about the money not the students
I have had a friend who has taken his course and
he just wasted his 1500 dollars for the course
DOn't do that, he did it and he was not satisfied.

This doctor was a USC grad in the 80's and apparently USC doesn't care too much for him. He was kicked off campus yesterday by campus police after trying to solicit during the WREBs. This was just after he sold somebody a perio patient for like $1300. Needless to say the buyer wasn't too pleased when the patient was rejected several minutes later and the seller was nowhere to be found.

I was told that this isn't the first time it has happened, including some recent incident at NOVA where he screwed over a bunch of people.

Hi all,
The stress is really getting to me now since my UOP wreb is about 1 week away. Here's two possible patient I can use:
1. Patient A has ideal lesion on #13M (composite), but clinical crown is short (I measured the occlusal-gingival height on the mesial is 2.5-3mm). She is a great patient, super nice and cooperative.

2. patient B has a lesion on #29 DO (alloy), definitely into DEJ and could potentially be big. Patient has narrow ramus, very difficult to put on a rubber dam. Patient has spine problem and cannot lie down still for very long. Patient will take prescription strength pain killer on the day of the exam if its needed.

Im 70% sure I will use patient A b/c of her great attitude, the short clinical crown worries me a bit because by the time I drop the box, I'm risking the gingival floor to be at the gingiva level (lots bleeding perhaps, potential damage to the papilla). Anyone used a short clinical crown and still did ok?

Let me know please.....thanks!!!

Hi all,
The stress is really getting to me now since my UOP wreb is about 1 week away. Here's two possible patient I can use:
1. Patient A has ideal lesion on #13M (composite), but clinical crown is short (I measured the occlusal-gingival height on the mesial is 2.5-3mm). She is a great patient, super nice and cooperative.

2. patient B has a lesion on #29 DO (alloy), definitely into DEJ and could potentially be big. Patient has narrow ramus, very difficult to put on a rubber dam. Patient has spine problem and cannot lie down still for very long. Patient will take prescription strength pain killer on the day of the exam if its needed.

Im 70% sure I will use patient A b/c of her great attitude, the short clinical crown worries me a bit because by the time I drop the box, I'm risking the gingival floor to be at the gingiva level (lots bleeding perhaps, potential damage to the papilla). Anyone used a short clinical crown and still did ok?

Dont worry about the short clinical crown. Just stick to the ideal prep and if needed get modifications if you need to go deeper. That would be the least of my worries. I would be more concerned about how deep the lesion is in relation to the pulp. If you must go subgingival for the ideal prep(which I doubt) then do it. Thats what the rubber dam is for to push the gingiva out of the way. I really wouldnt stress too much over the crown height not unless the pulp was really close to the DEJ.

Hi all,

What did you end up doing and how do you feel it went?

What did you end up doing and how do you feel it went?

Hi All,

I had no problem with the papilla issue, I used a medium gauge rubber dam and it was fine. One of my amalgam patient was rejected for "over-treatment", but the lesion did show there's a something going on below height of contour and was into dentin. No point on really argue that they should have accepted my patient. I ended up doing both fillings on same patient, #12 DO alloy and #13 MO composite. No need to switch/sterilize instruments, saved a lot of time =). Instead of cleaning instruments and waiting for it to be sterilized, my patient, assistant and me all used 40 mins of lunch break. I thought my floor examiners were really nice, at one point, I wrote down the wrong wall to extend, he sat down, looked at the prep and asked me " Dr. are you sure you want to extend the facial wall?" He held the mirror in place and I looked at it again and realized I wrote down the wrong wall, then he said "don't worry, just relax" and granted my extension.

As far as other parts of operative, I think I did ok. Both of my lesions needed some extension but not too much, just 0.5 mm here and there, and I took them out with 1/4 round bur. My composite didn't really look that great. I felt a lil rushed my assistant, she's trying to keep me on track of time. I felt good with my alloy, even though I only spent 2.5 hrs on the whole procedure. My patient peeked at my score and said I got 4's and 5's. My patient is really nice and friendly, she chatted with the examiners and even told them she'd give them some tourist info after the exam. So after we finished everything, my patient (also my friend) walked into the grading area and chatted with the examiners, gave them a map and told them to goto Top of the Mark lounge in downtown SF. She gave me some info on the examiners and some of them never been to SF before, and one guy is from Alaska. She learnt their full names but I guess I should't reveal them here.

I had some doubts with perio, I used one quad on my friend and cavitroned it 3 times and scaled it three times. I still felt some bumps on lingual of #30 and #29. I took a quick 5 min break to rest my hands, and tried to feel the bumps again. It wasn't distinctive bumps, maybe part of the anatomy. I hope they don't consider that calculus despite how hard I tried to remove them but couldn't. I used a perioptix light thru out the exam and I really think it's helpful for you to see everything in the prep. I even saw a lil piece of subgingival calculus when my assistant blew a lot of air into the gingival margin, which I couldn't have missed since it's on the most distal part of the d#30.
I struggled thru endo. I spent a great deal with access, and made it as pefect as possible. By the time I got to rotary instruments, the girl next to me is already doing her master cone and it's only 1.5 hrs past the start of the exam. I barely finished endo on time, with a lil sealer got into another canal in the posterior teeth and lil void in the coronal portion. My anterior was good, but around 1mm short of apex.

I felt bad for the foreign dentist who came to UOP to take it. They all had to drag their luggages or storage compartments around with them the entire day. A few of them didn't end up showing up for endo portion since they got pink slipped for caries or didn't have patient that qualified. My biggest advice is: try to take it at your home school and avoid going to another school. During the endo exam, a lot of the foreign dentists are asking us UOP students how to use the x-ray machine. We honestly did not have the time or patience to coach someone thru it when everyone is under time pressure. I noticed some people can't communicate with the floor examiners that well and resulted in some arguments. Im so glad I took it at my home school.

Hi All,

I had no problem with the papilla issue, I used a medium gauge rubber dam and it was fine. One of my amalgam patient was rejected for "over-treatment", but the lesion did show there's a something going on below height of contour and was into dentin. No point on really argue that they should have accepted my patient. I ended up doing both fillings on same patient, #12 DO alloy and #13 MO composite. No need to switch/sterilize instruments, saved a lot of time =). Instead of cleaning instruments and waiting for it to be sterilized, my patient, assistant and me all used 40 mins of lunch break. I thought my floor examiners were really nice, at one point, I wrote down the wrong wall to extend, he sat down, looked at the prep and asked me " Dr. are you sure you want to extend the facial wall?" He held the mirror in place and I looked at it again and realized I wrote down the wrong wall, then he said "don't worry, just relax" and granted my extension.

As far as other parts of operative, I think I did ok. Both of my lesions needed some extension but not too much, just 0.5 mm here and there, and I took them out with 1/4 round bur. My composite didn't really look that great. I felt a lil rushed my assistant, she's trying to keep me on track of time. I felt good with my alloy, even though I only spent 2.5 hrs on the whole procedure. My patient peeked at my score and said I got 4's and 5's. My patient is really nice and friendly, she chatted with the examiners and even told them she'd give them some tourist info after the exam. So after we finished everything, my patient (also my friend) walked into the grading area and chatted with the examiners, gave them a map and told them to goto Top of the Mark lounge in downtown SF. She gave me some info on the examiners and some of them never been to SF before, and one guy is from Alaska. She learnt their full names but I guess I should't reveal them here.

I had some doubts with perio, I used one quad on my friend and cavitroned it 3 times and scaled it three times. I still felt some bumps on lingual of #30 and #29. I took a quick 5 min break to rest my hands, and tried to feel the bumps again. It wasn't distinctive bumps, maybe part of the anatomy. I hope they don't consider that calculus despite how hard I tried to remove them but couldn't. I used a perioptix light thru out the exam and I really think it's helpful for you to see everything in the prep. I even saw a lil piece of subgingival calculus when my assistant blew a lot of air into the gingival margin, which I couldn't have missed since it's on the most distal part of the d#30.
I struggled thru endo. I spent a great deal with access, and made it as pefect as possible. By the time I got to rotary instruments, the girl next to me is already doing her master cone and it's only 1.5 hrs past the start of the exam. I barely finished endo on time, with a lil sealer got into another canal in the posterior teeth and lil void in the coronal portion. My anterior was good, but around 1mm short of apex.

I felt bad for the foreign dentist who came to UOP to take it. They all had to drag their luggages or storage compartments around with them the entire day. A few of them didn't end up showing up for endo portion since they got pink slipped for caries or didn't have patient that qualified. My biggest advice is: try to take it at your home school and avoid going to another school. During the endo exam, a lot of the foreign dentists are asking us UOP students how to use the x-ray machine. We honestly did not have the time or patience to coach someone thru it when everyone is under time pressure. I noticed some people can't communicate with the floor examiners that well and resulted in some arguments. Im so glad I took it at my home school.

Hi,
I have questionsWhat is the ideal thickness of the final impression withen custom tray)
a. 1mm b. 2mm c.3mm d.4mm.
I think the correct answer is 3mm, because the ideal thickness of the impression by itself should be 2mm and 1mm for custom tray.
Question:the dental rest seat should be :a. high at marginal ridge and low sa approaches the center of the tooth or
b.should be 1.5 in height.which of these two choices is the correct, I think the a is the correct one?
Q: what is the amount of occlusal force by using three dental implants?
a.20N b.30N c.40N d.60N ,SINGLE TOOTH FORCE EQUAL TO 20N.?
Q:If you see foggy mental foreman by x ray, is it normal variation or error in technique, since both sided is not clear or is it due to disease like cementoma?

I guess prosthoman was banned....too bad, but I was hoping someone could answer my quick question: If you run out of time at the end of a Saturday or Sunday, can you temporize the patient, dismiss them, and bring them back to finish on Monday morning? Is there any point penalty for this?
Thanks

I guess prosthoman was banned....too bad, but I was hoping someone could answer my quick question: If you run out of time at the end of a Saturday or Sunday, can you temporize the patient, dismiss them, and bring them back to finish on Monday morning? Is there any point penalty for this?
Thanks

Yes, you need permission and a signature. You can only do this for your class II's NOT for perio.

DD

What Is The Bur # Used For Gold Foil Restoration? Please Pm Me If Possible! God Bless!

Members don't see this ad :)
What Is The Bur # Used For Gold Foil Restoration? Please Pm Me If Possible! God Bless!

Gold foil?? For WREB you can do Class II composite, amalgam or cast gold, not gold foil. I don't know anyone who even does gold foil anymore--bad for the pulp.

No, there is no penalty, please if you have any answer for these questions:

Hi,
I have questionsWhat is the ideal thickness of the final impression withen custom tray)
a. 1mm b. 2mm c.3mm d.4mm.
I think the correct answer is 3mm, because the ideal thickness of the impression by itself should be 2mm and 1mm for custom tray.
Question:the dental rest seat should be :a. high at marginal ridge and low sa approaches the center of the tooth or
b.should be 1.5 in height.which of these two choices is the correct, I think the a is the correct one?
Q: what is the amount of occlusal force by using three dental implants?
a.20N b.30N c.40N d.60N ,SINGLE TOOTH FORCE EQUAL TO 20N.?
Q:If you see foggy mental foreman by x ray, is it normal variation or error in technique, since both sided is not clear or is it due to disease like cementoma?

Hi everyone,
I am hoping someone has an answer to my dilemma...
I have this pt who has what appears to be an ideal class II for an amalgam on #31 This pt has a stained/carious buccal pit on this tooth. My question, is it better to restore #31 buccal pit with composite before (or) is it better to treat the tooth as an MO on the day of the exam with a note to the examiners "Noted caries on the buccal pit which shall be restored later".... is that acceptable? In the manual it says you are to treat all occlusal caries but doesn't mention anything abt buccal pits or such situations. If I do actually restore the buccal pit with composite before the exam do I risk the fact that I may need to replace it again coz it then becomes a "pre existing" resoration??? I agree it should not be too much of an issue trying to replace a buccal pit but then why risk something when we can play safe...any suggestions...Thanks in advance!

as far as i remember, they are not concerned if the tooth has another cavity or a restoration as long as it is not in connection with your class II. so whether you restore or leave the cavity, the important thing is that when you open your class II it is not in communication with the other buccal lesion.

hope that helps!

I would restore the buccal pit. It is so simple, just restore it since it does not even affect the other filling that you will do in the exam. Also, you should try to find a premolar as molars can get hectic sometimes.

DD

Thank you desidentist and futuredentist for your inputs. I shall try and find a premolar but if not I shall try restore it before so I don't have to deal with any surprises. Thanks again!

Thank you desidentist and futuredentist for your inputs. I shall try and find a premolar but if not I shall try restore it before so I don't have to deal with any surprises. Thanks again!

Just do it. Pass this sucker and become a dentist. :)

DD

I'm taking the WREB in August, which is next week, but I lost my #8 extracted tooth. does anyone still have either #8 or #9 extracted tooth
that I can buy from you guys? thanks so much!!! desperately need it ASAP!!! please email me at [email protected] thanks!

Please post any questions you have I will try to help you as much as I can in my best ability.

Hi! Prosthoman,

Thank you very much for your help and your support to us.

I have doubt on the EPT test. In my post, someone mention that they meet a case on "False positive" on "Pregnant Woman". I was doubt on this. If it is true, what is the reason. And if it is not happened, why?

I am the one who believe that our careers or our professionals have owed the same language and similar methods in treating our patient no matter where we come from.
Flight for dentistry!
It is our goal.

I believe sometime and someday we can implant a tooth bud to the patient--it is just what the "Pathway of the pulp" 9th edition introduction mentioned.

Looking forward to your reply soon.

Best regards
Black Rose

Pen stands for Penicillin
if patient is allergic to Pen then Clindamycin is prescribed

Hi!Prosthoman,

If the patient get pseudomembraneous colitis of using Clindamycin, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Black Rose

Hi!Prosthoman,

If the patient get pseudomembraneous colitis of using Clindamycin, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Black Rose

Discontinue the use of Clindamycin and switch over to Metronidazole. Vancomycin can be used if Metronidazole does not work.

My question is:

Since an overabundance of circulating systemic steroids will inhibit production of ACTH.
And, ACTH stimulates the secretion of glucocorticoid. Glucocorticoid is used for anti-inflammation.
Why should patients taking chronic daily doses of steroids be considered for steroid supplementation such as prednisone on the day of surgery?

Thank you.

Black Rose.

I have been reading some of your threads and u guys seem to think that every little question u can ask from this site, i mean some stuff u can look up on ur own, for ex if u are allergic to pen what do u prescribe!! come on now u guys should know that or u can look it up in a text. Stop asking every silly little question to prosthman, u r doing a great service prosthman but some of these guys r acting like little babies. Another question some1 asked what is the wreb!! come on now u cant ask questions without doing a little bit of research for yourself :mad:

I'm a GPR resident and I will be taking the WREB this coming April....I learned to use Therma Fill and I am very comfortable and familiar with this technique. Have you heard anything positive or negative in using TF for the endo portion of WREB?

I'm a GPR resident and I will be taking the WREB this coming April....I learned to use Therma Fill and I am very comfortable and familiar with this technique. Have you heard anything positive or negative in using TF for the endo portion of WREB?

If that is what you are custom to using, then use it. Especially if you have been getting good results (a nice full fill to the apex). Don't change anything up from what you have been doing, unless the results have been poor.

Totally agree. I think Thermafil is a very nice system with very predictable results. The most important thing is it's so easy to use and will save you so much time. Just make sure you put paper points or something on top of a 2nd or 3rd canal on a posterior tooth to save you time from removing excess material after.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!
I was also wondering about doing a class III composite instead of class II, but since this is a new thing on the exam I'm kind of afraid of doing it since there is no feedback on this portion grading...what dou you think?
I'm totally stressed out over taking the WREB!!!!!!!!! Has anybody out there taken it at The University of Pittsburgh and has some suggestions????
Please, every little bit of info is very welcome!!!!!!
Thanks!!!!!:scared:

Thanks a lot for the help guys!
I was also wondering about doing a class III composite instead of class II, but since this is a new thing on the exam I'm kind of afraid of doing it since there is no feedback on this portion grading...what dou you think?
I'm totally stressed out over taking the WREB!!!!!!!!! Has anybody out there taken it at The University of Pittsburgh and has some suggestions????
Please, every little bit of info is very welcome!!!!!!
Thanks!!!!!:scared:

I'm also thinking about doing the anterior composite. My one hesitation is that they ask that it be accessed from the lingual (unless the lesion demands a facial access). I don't dare submit one that really needs facial access for fear they'll reject it. Anyway, a class 3 should be easier than a class 2, at least in my book.

If I do a class III, I would use as much flowable on the gingival floor as I could. Bevel as much as I could. And make sure the gum is a little receded but healthy. Bleeding can stain composite real easy even sometimes with rubber dam on. Trust me, class III is not that easy. Take lots of time too.

:)hi
i have some questions would be highly appreciated if u reply me
1- if patient come to ur clinic and had 325 mg asprin a day before whent its suitble to treat him?
2-where is the part responsible for bruxism a-basic ganglia
B-fiber A or fiber C

:)hi
i have some questions would be highly appreciated if u reply me
1- if patient come to ur clinic and had 325 mg asprin a day before whent its suitble to treat him?
2-where is the part responsible for bruxism a-basic ganglia
B-fiber A or fiber C

Hello. I reply u.
1. If patient had come to me clinic I would think it suitble to treat if they took at least 2g aspirin. When take that much it acts reversibly and will begin to make bleeding less from what I seen.
2. That is a trick question. The part responsible for bruxism is actuelly fibers A and the Basic ganglia. If you had to pick one then pick fiber C. Hope that helpted you.

Hi I have a question!
Pt has been on amocilin for knee surgery now the patient need a tooh to be extracted what would the prophilatic antibiotic be?
a- double the dose of amoxicilin
b- prescribe clindamycin 600mg 1 hour prior
c-triple amoxicilin
d- do nothing

does anybody know about the Duggan and Dr. stevenson at UCLA and Dr. GIlbert prep course for Wreb ????

anybody here is in tha ASPID program at USC..I am looking for a friend I know that lost the number

does anybody know about the Duggan and Dr. stevenson at UCLA and Dr. GIlbert prep course for Wreb ????

Check out Dr. Duggans website here for the WREB courses:

http://www.duggandds.com/courses/courses.html

Scroll to the bottom and click on the WREB schedule .. The next condensed WREB course is from Feb 19 - March 10, 2008.

I highly recommend Dr. Duggans courses .. granted they are expensive and of a longer duration but they are very helpful for foreign trained dentists ..

I have picked both my extracted teeth, #22 (shorter than 25mm) and #30. I have a question about who has taken it...did you take a PA for working lenght? Is there enough time? I know we can measure the lenght b4 setting up the tooth on the typodont, but your reference point most likely won't be an incisal edge, cusp tip, or marginal ridge, so I would like to take a confirmation PA for working lenght, but I'm afraid of timing....also, to take radiographs do we have to remove the segment from the typodont or take the whole thing with the rubber dam in place???
Please help me!!!!:scared:

I would not do the lower canine, it is difficult, esp when access, the typodont is kind of floppy on the lower, just hanging. Very hard to do. #30 is all the way in the back. If your exam site has a head, it will be so hard to put your hand in the back because the mouth is small, cheek is not stretchable.

Best teeth to do is max central incisor & max first-bi

No, u don't need any WL xray. Measure the tooth before and that's your WL. The first xray to take is the cone fit.

Good luck

There was a question in perio Can you help me with it?It says What is the cause vertical lacy striae in max buccal vestibule?
Thanks

There was a question in perio Can you help me with it?It says What is the cause vertical lacy striae in max buccal vestibule?
Thanks

sounds like lichen planus to me--aetiology is idiopathic, but thought to be immune/stress modulated

good luck

Hi,
A friend of mine told me some questions from the computer test and I need help finding the answers .
1- What is the axis of rotation in RPD that only has teeth #21, 22 and 27?
1.a Plan a partial for this same case.
2-In a crown prep, what is the bur used to make bevel in the chanfer margins?
3- What is the biggest problem when you try to replace teeth 9 and 10 in a RPD?
If anybody else remember questions please post them even if you dont have the answers.

If you do not know the bur to cut chamfer margin, you should not be a dentist. Even a first year dental student knows what bur it is.

I said bevel in chamfer margin not only chamfer.....it can be made with a flame finishing bur or a diamant bur...but I was wondering what is the best answer .

Hi,
A friend of mine told me some questions from the computer test and I need help finding the answers .
1- What is the axis of rotation in RPD that only has teeth #21, 22 and 27?
1.a Plan a partial for this same case.
2-In a crown prep, what is the bur used to make bevel in the chanfer margins?
3- What is the biggest problem when you try to replace teeth 9 and 10 in a RPD?
If anybody else remember questions please post them even if you dont have the answers.

Here are my answers:

1- The axis of rotation is the fulcrum line, which is the line that passes through the most distal rests. In this case it should be the rests on the mesial of #20 and #28.

2 - I think diamond bur is the better answer choice.

3- What choices were given? It probably has something to do with esthetics, either of the actual crowns themselves or of the clasps for retention.

I said bevel in chamfer margin not only chamfer.....it can be made with a flame finishing bur or a diamant bur...but I was wondering what is the best answer .

As far as I know you don't need any bevel on chamfer,you may need it on shoulder

Best teeth to do is max central incisor & max first-bi

No, u don't need any WL xray. Measure the tooth before and that's your WL. The first xray to take is the cone fit.

How could you prevent the sealer from entering other canal ? It's the only problem that I'm having right now with max first-bi during my practical. My Wreb will start on this coming Thursday.