IA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catie_jane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have an IA from my institution according to my pre-health advisor. This comes as a surprise to me, but apparently it was from a discussions my roommates and I had with community standards after a noise complaint at my off-campus house (no disciplinary action).

Anyways, my IA is going to be included in my pre-health committee letter which I thought would suffice, but I was about to submit Temple's secondary and realized that they do not allow it to be included in the letter and need a separate letter sent directly to them.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of specific schools that require this instead of it being included in the committee letter? Not all secondary applications say either way and I was not sure if it was worth calling admission offices about.

Thank you in advance!

BU - include in committee letter
Temple - separate letter

Members don't see this ad.

I've never seen an IA mentioned in a committee LOR, but really, this is major league trivial. Just explain it in the box on the app form, and al lwill be fine.

Yeah, apparently community standards writes and letter and it is included as a separate document (like an addendum?)

Either way should still send the separate letter to Temple even though the incident is explained on my AMCAS and will be included in the committee letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need a separate letter to explain what you'll be explaining in your primary and secondary apps!

Yeah, apparently community standards writes and letter and it is included as a separate document (like an addendum?)

Either way should still send the separate letter to Temple even though the incident is explained on my AMCAS and will be included in the committee letter?

Just wanted to make sure nothing holds up my application, thanks!

I don't know if I'm comfortable with a monster like you becoming a doctor...

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if I'm comfortable with a monster like you becoming a doctor...

I know, I feel a bit silly even having to address it. I'd rather not make it seem like I am hiding any deep dark secrets though :ninja:

I do know one Ivy that includes a statement in every letter I've seen that states that the student has not been a party to an institutional action. In all likelikhood, other schools do too but I haven't noticed.

Did Temple and BU specifically tell YOU they needed a letter? Or was it just a statement on the secondary?

They ask on the secondary if you have an IA on your AMCAS application and it prompts a response based on that I believe

@Goro does that change the situation? Does OP in fact need a letter or is her secondary response enough?
BU requires it...if you don't submit a letter explaining the IA, you get put on hold until they receive one. So in that case, yeah, I would say you need one.

BU requires it...if you don't submit a letter explaining the IA, you get put on hold until they receive one. So in that case, yeah, I would say you need one.

Yeah BU has an option to include it in the committee letter, which my school automatically does. Temple though requires my school to send the same letter but directly to the school/not through AMCAS

MCW also requires a Dean's letter, similar to Temple

MCW also requires a Dean's letter, similar to Temple

MCW is not on my list but that makes me wonder if some other schools on my list require it.. I guess my best bet would be to call the admissions of all the schools?

MCW is not on my list but that makes me wonder if some other schools on my list require it.. I guess my best bet would be to call the admissions of all the schools?
It should be obvious when you need it so I wouldn't bother calling each school.

BU and MCW are the only schools that I know of so far.

Reactions: 1 user