IAUPR ACCEPTANCE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SUAON

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just accepted into IAUPR two weeks ago and I'm still deciding if i really want to go. I have taken the OAT once and got a 280 TS and AA. My gpa is a 3.0. I have plenty of shadowing experience and worked in many retail optometry practices. I only had time to take the OAT once for this cycle. Idk if I should wait another year or work towards my optometry degree by going to IAUPR. I'm 23. Im sure I would be able to boost my OAT score but i just don't know if i want to wait another year living in my parents house. Can someone please give me some advice. Or if you are a student at IAUPR tell me if it was worth moving all the way over there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you search "IAUPR" on here, you'll find plenty of stories from people who really dislike the school. There are always a few people who seem to be positive, but I'm inclined to believe that the school has some legitimate problems. The two people I know in real life who go there really do not like it. If you think you can improve your scores, then it might be worth waiting. Just keep in mind that some of the accredited US schools have their share of problems and student complaints as well.

I was just accepted into IAUPR two weeks ago and I'm still deciding if i really want to go. I have taken the OAT once and got a 280 TS and AA. My gpa is a 3.0. I have plenty of shadowing experience and worked in many retail optometry practices. I only had time to take the OAT once for this cycle. Idk if I should wait another year or work towards my optometry degree by going to IAUPR. I'm 23. Im sure I would be able to boost my OAT score but i just don't know if i want to wait another year living in my parents house. Can someone please give me some advice. Or if you are a student at IAUPR tell me if it was worth moving all the way over there.

I agree with the post above. Retake the oat and try to do better and see if you can go to a school here instead of going to the island. Do a search and you will find your answers. you aren't too far away from getting 300. If you can score at least 300, then you have a very good chance of getting few interviews from schools here. If you can ace in the interview then you will be enhanching your chance Of getting accepted to a school here in the state instead of going to the island.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be one of the people who speaks positively about IAUPR. This school was my first choice, and I am glad I chose it. I am learning a lot. I am exposed to patients first semester in screenings around the island. Puerto Rico has a lot of diabetes, hypertension, etc. as well as the highest population of albinos in the world. I now can speak Spanish in the exam room. When I am not studying, I can go to the beach 365 days a year. This school is not "easy" like some may perceive it. It takes lots of work and dedication. We are not spoon fed, but if you put in the work and study, you learn. That being said, this school is not for everyone. Some can't adapt to life and school here.

It seems like there can be 100 positive comments and 1 negative about any subject, but people tend to remember the negative.

I don't think your age matters. I am 30 years old starting optometry school this fall. It's never too late to do something that you really want to do. If IAUPR was your first choice, then go for it. If not, why not study more and try for your first choice? Living in your parents house for one year to work and save money for tuition/living expense seems reasonable too. You are only 23 years old. One or two years of delay is not as bad as it seems when you consider you have ~50-60 years of your life ahead of you...

I was accepted to IAUPR but withdrew my spot 3 weeks ago. I'm still on the waitlist for 2 schools but it's not looking good, so I'll apply again for this upcoming cycle. Whenever I e-mailed IAUPR they'd take really long to respond back, and when they did a lot of the e-mail was in broken English. I mean, if the e-mail is like that I can only assume a lot of the learning material will be like that as well as how the profs speak when they are teaching, which already set off red-flags in my head. Also, IAUPR was the only school that I didn't have to fly to, to do my interviews which is kind of weird too. All the other schools had the interview person to person and also gave a chance to show off their faculty and campus, which IAUPR doesn't do which is also something that doesn't inspire confidence in them for me.

Reactions: 1 users
If you search "IAUPR" on here, you'll find plenty of stories from people who really dislike the school. There are always a few people who seem to be positive, but I'm inclined to believe that the school has some legitimate problems. The two people I know in real life who go there really do not like it. If you think you can improve your scores, then it might be worth waiting. Just keep in mind that some of the accredited US schools have their share of problems and student complaints as well.
If you are talking about accredited schools in the mainland, we still need to consider the fact that IAUPR is ALSO accredited. I was accepted to ICO but withdrew my seat because i REALLY want to go to IAUPR as I have heard many good things. I'm not saying there are not negative things associated with the school, but it is not just IAUPR, if you search up other schools you will notice that along with positive things there are bad things as well. I will be starting next year, so I'm VERY excited to go to Puerto Rico. I think before you make a decision, talk to people DIRECTLY who go there, not just people who read other negative comments and pass that along :)

I was accepted to IAUPR but withdrew my spot 3 weeks ago. I'm still on the waitlist for 2 schools but it's not looking good, so I'll apply again for this upcoming cycle. Whenever I e-mailed IAUPR they'd take really long to respond back, and when they did a lot of the e-mail was in broken English. I mean, if the e-mail is like that I can only assume a lot of the learning material will be like that as well as how the profs speak when they are teaching, which already set off red-flags in my head. Also, IAUPR was the only school that I didn't have to fly to, to do my interviews which is kind of weird too. All the other schools had the interview person to person and also gave a chance to show off their faculty and campus, which IAUPR doesn't do which is also something that doesn't inspire confidence in them for me.
I agree with everything here. I emailed them many times and never even once got a reply. To get in-touch with somebody from the admin department was a pain in the neck. I had to call 100s of times to talk to Mr. Acosta who never called me back.

IAUPR still gives acceptance to people without having any interview which none of the other accredited schools do. In my opinion, its just wrong! Many people choose this school because it is cheap compared to other schools, but then again living expense can be higher depending on one's lifestyle.

I agree with everything here. I emailed them many times and never even once got a reply. To get in-touch with somebody from the admin department was a pain in the neck. I had to call 100s of times to talk to Mr. Acosta who never called me back.

IAUPR still gives acceptance to people without having any interview which none of the other accredited schools do. In my opinion, its just wrong! Many people choose this school because it is cheap compared to other schools, but then again living expense can be higher depending on one's lifestyle.

Yes, that was my issue with IAUPR. When I got accepted last year, they didn't interview me. They sent me a letter in the mail saying I was accepted. But, they spelled my name wrong so it took 2.5 weeks to get to me and by the time I got it it had said "Send us your deposit by X date" which was in like 2 days. I emailed/called and finally got ahold of someone who said "I had enough points for acceptance before an interview." But, that whole thing put a kind of sour taste in my mouth -- esp with spelling my name wrong - so I chose to stay in the US and now I go to MCPHS

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, that was my issue with IAUPR. When I got accepted last year, they didn't interview me. They sent me a letter in the mail saying I was accepted. But, they spelled my name wrong so it took 2.5 weeks to get to me and by the time I got it it had said "Send us your deposit by X date" which was in like 2 days. I emailed/called and finally got ahold of someone who said "I had enough points for acceptance before an interview." But, that whole thing put a kind of sour taste in my mouth -- esp with spelling my name wrong - so I chose to stay in the US and now I go to MCPHS
I'm pretty sure you're having a good experience at MCPHS. I interviewed there and kinda liked the way the school, clinic and labs are laid off. However, i decided to attended PCO because it's near by me.

Of course every school has there ups and downs but it is just a matter of every individual and where they feel comfortable going. I go to IAUPR and personally, I am happy with my decision. Yes our school does have problems, like for example, getting in touch with administration (and we are currently working on that a great amount), but other schools have problems as well whether it be with teachers or the curriculum.
Just to clarify, IAUPR is a bilingual school where they teach you to be able to do examinations in Spanish along with English. For many professors, English is not their first language so yes they do speak broken English, but not to a point where we don't understand them. They are extremely helpful and intelligent and teach to the best of their ability and current students do not have a problem understanding professors and they do not have a problem understanding us either.

My recommendation to each and every person that is applying and getting different opinions is to ask students that attend the schools, and go with your gut. After all, you will be at the school for four years so you want to go somewhere you feel comfortable with and feel is the right fit for you. Good luck to everyone that is currently in Optometry school, or in the process of being in one!

Do the Iaupr pre-reqs require lab with or no? The Iaupr pre-reqs list doesn't say like " Microbiology w/ lab" it just straight up says Microbiology - 3 credit hours. I was just wondering cuz all of the schools in the states specify w/ lab or without lab.

Do the Iaupr pre-reqs require lab with or no? The Iaupr pre-reqs list doesn't say like " Microbiology w/ lab" it just straight up says Microbiology - 3 credit hours. I was just wondering cuz all of the schools in the states specify w/ lab or without lab.
There are people in my class that are missing 2, 3 pre recs. They DO NOT CARE. Your money is their highest priority.