IAUPR...The hidden gem of Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arahnisarahn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
IAUPR is a school that I noticed receives little recognition on this site; however, it's also greatly praised amongst the optometrists I've shadowed. Between such a polarized perspective lies many questions and false ideas towards the school. So let me address them. And for any other students attending IAUPR, I encourage you to speak out!
;)

Members don't see this ad.

IAUPR is a school that I noticed receives little recognition on this site; however, it's also greatly praised amongst the optometrists I've shadowed. Between such a polarized perspective lies many questions and false ideas towards the school. So let me address them. And for any other students attending IAUPR, I encourage you to speak out!
;)

arahn...

i would have to agree...it has been my experience while shadowing other doctors from different schools....those that have come from Puerto Rico seem to have always known their pathology. The doctors always account it to the amazing patient base there in Puerto Rico. While others have knowledge of pathology, it seems that they know it from a book..whereas the doctors I have shadowed that were from there had seen it like a million times.

I plan to do at least one of my externships there..see what all the hype is about.

Reactions: 1 user
IAUPR is a school that I noticed receives little recognition on this site; however, it's also greatly praised amongst the optometrists I've shadowed. ..;)
Wow! what OD's have you been shadowing?

Year after year, by far, the lowest GPA and OAT of all schools. Poor NBEO pass rates as well.

For as long as I can remember, IAUPR has been known as the school for native spanish speakers & those who want immersion in the laguage, but primarily as the school for applicants rejected by all other programs or kicked out of another school.

I'm sure the clinical/academic training is adequate, but you're starting in a hole with those numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
You select a school based on what it offers and how it may further benefit your optometric career. Realistically, GPA and OAT scores limits the majority of those decisions when applying; regardless on how they may fair. Why is it that way? Because schools select students based on their ability to complete the program. Doctors are hired based on their potential to benefit a practice. OD’s start a new practice with confidence in their own skill. Now grant it, it is all relative to the amount of education you choose to acquire. But, you asked me what OD’s I’ve been shadowing. So I will respond saying the ones that see my potential repertoire. So that a side, your comment about starting in a hole, since IAUPR is adequate, holds no water.
Now you do have a point concerning NBEO pass rates. but I will leave that one open for discussion (given that it fits the original purpose of this thread).

But if I was not able to answer your original question you can search here... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-282791.html
I am sure this thread is itching for another resurrection.

You select a school based on what it offers and how it may further benefit your optometric career. Realistically, GPA and OAT scores limits the majority of those decisions when applying; regardless on how they may fair. Why is it that way? Because schools select students based on their ability to complete the program. Doctors are hired based on their potential to benefit a practice. OD's start a new practice with confidence in their own skill. Now grant it, it is all relative to the amount of education you choose to acquire. But, you asked me what OD's I've been shadowing. So I will respond saying the ones that see my potential repertoire. So that a side, your comment about starting in a hole, since IAUPR is adequate, holds no water.
Now you do have a point concerning NBEO pass rates. but I will leave that one open for discussion (given that it fits the original purpose of this thread).

But if I was not able to answer your original question you can search here... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-282791.html
I am sure this thread is itching for another resurrection.

Good grief. I don't think you want to direct people to that forum if you want them to consider PR.

Have you been shadowing docs in PR? Please tell me what you think a mainland, non-PR alum, that didn't know you were going there would say.

Despite IAUPR's TERRIBLE GPAs and scores I think it has a more legitimate reason to exist than any of the new schools. At least it isn't a blood sucking large class tuition mill.

Despite IAUPR's TERRIBLE GPAs and scores I think it has a more legitimate reason to exist than any of the new schools. At least it isn't a blood sucking large class tuition mill.

I concur

I have to agree with thecgrblue, that post discouraged me a ton.

You posted that you would discuss NBEO scores if brought up. What i read in the thread you put up said that 3-4 straight years of NBEO rates below seventy could result in loss of accreditation. Is this a rule real and is the school in danger of being closed????

in response to thecgrblue, I have worked under 2 Optometrists for the past 2 and a half years and none of them had anything bad to say about my acceptance into IAUPR, rather they were excited that I would have an opportunity to learn Spanish. My Optometrist's husband, who is also an Optometrist, and does not know me very well said the same thing.

Also, over winter break when I spoke to a friend in another Optometry school, there wasn't much difference in the material we had learnt.

I agree that the school's board rates are not very high, however, over the years they have progressively gone up and will continue to do so, as IAUPR has upped their standards with who they accept into their program and is equally concerned with their board passing rates as their students are.

I know that there is a ton of negativity posted about IAUPR, but in all honesty if you are not a student here, an alumni, or have not spent much time here, it would be hard to judge the school accurately.

Also, regarding accreditation, the school has been open since 1981 and has had accreditation for several years despite low scores on the NEBO, and I know that the students we have now will make sure to get the school's scores up. :)

I have to agree with thecgrblue, that post discouraged me a ton.

You posted that you would discuss NBEO scores if brought up. What i read in the thread you put up said that 3-4 straight years of NBEO rates below seventy could result in loss of accreditation. Is this a rule real and is the school in danger of being closed????

NO. If I am not mistaken, the rule is that if a certain school performs below standards for a consecutive 3 years, then that school will be visited by one of the members of the boards for any signs of improvement. So that recently happened to our school. We were assured that everything they observed was good and that accreditation should be the very least of our worries. They were all very impressed with our school.

I must agree with Sherni88. Our school is improving each moment. Sorry thecgrblue if I have seemed to mislead you. I was only referencing that thread for those who only have negative comments to say. This thread is strictly for questions legitimately concerning those interested or wanting to gain an understanding.

On top of that. One of the reasons for IAUPR's low NBEO scores is due to the fact that Puerto Rico does not require board certification in order to practice. A fraction of native PR students don't take the exam, or take with reassurance that it is not the "end all be all" situation. Many of us originally from the states perform very well.

Last edited:
does anyone else find it odd that the two ppl supporting arahnisarahn created accounts this month and have a total combined posts of 3? that would ruin your argument if you were posting on three different accounts, arahnisarahn.

back to the topic, i havent looked into IAUPR much, but i do appreciate your opinions and time. thanks for the input on the school

does anyone else find it odd that the two ppl supporting arahnisarahn created accounts this month and have a total combined posts of 3? that would ruin your argument if you were posting on three different accounts, arahnisarahn.

back to the topic, i havent looked into IAUPR much, but i do appreciate your opinions and time. thanks for the input on the school

Lol!!! Wow, I did not notice that! I assure you that I only have one account. I just think that there is not that many of us active here (probably scared away). :laugh:
Lets just hope anyone else that post on this site has been on here for a while :xf:

What I don't get is why are we questioning people's authenticity and intentions behind comments when there should be some real conversation taking place here. From what I gather this thread is for informative purposes and so it should be used for that. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As a current student at IAUPR, I hope I can address the OP's main purpose of the thread, which is to give others a little insight to the highly misunderstood OD school in the islands.

1) PR is a US territory, surprising how many people did not know this. So that means the dollar is used here, so your credit cards and cell phones will work here. We have everything you find on the mainland, from Sam's (in fact its walking distance), Japanese food, Pizza hut, to bowling alleys. Its not third world, i CAN assure you that...go visit some of the other islands and see for yourself.

2) The new school is only 4 years old (relocated from a crummy building). It looks almost brand new with clean and modern facilities. Pictures can be given upon request.

3) All your classes are in English (tests..etc, as the boards are in English). All the professors, librarians, and admin staff speak English! If your main concern is spanish, please please do not worry. We have people who did not know a LICK of spanish before coming to PR, but everyone gets on the same page as we practice, with the aid of our awesome spanish teacher. We aren't doing conjugations..etc over and over, but actually learning conversational spanish, in addition to a script for a full eye exam. Its off putting to people because they dont want to put the extra effort in learning a new language, which is a shame! For those who already speak spanish, they take a different class (will have to double check on exactly what). Again this should not be a deterrent, but a blessing in disguise. Once you graduate, you would be hot property as you have a leg up above those from the mainland as you can perform an exam bilingually. Your clinical training will also give you a leg up as you will be exposed to more disease and pathology (this is an island remember!)

4) Majority of students that go here are from the mainland/canada. Do not let anyone else say otherwise. In my class we only have 1 Puerto Rican student (not a bad or good thing, just the way it is). In other years, there are a few more, and they actually came out on top of their class during first year. So the trend shows itself that more and more American students are and will be coming here.

5) The school is currently in a "up swing" where things are changing for the better. Yes we did have a ACOE visit due to 3 years of below 70% board rates, but as arhanisarhan said, that includes the students who dont have to take it if they practice in PR. All the board material is presented throughout your lectures, so its on the student to put forth that effort. In response to this, the committee had some real positive feedback of our school, and losing accreditation is the last thing on our minds. We do have accreditation and our next visit is 2013 (according to http://www.aoa.org/x12707.xml). Also the new incoming class of 2015 may benefit from a restructured curriculum, which will give them clinical experience from semester 1 and the classes are going to be extensively integrated. Frankly, I'm jealous.

6) The caliber of entering students is quite surprising, regardless of the lower GPAs and OATs. In our class of 48, we have some extremely talented individuals that are excelling in all classes/labs. Of course, like anywhere, you will have those that struggle. Majority are doing fine, so I am not worried about my classmates getting to graduation. Again, its what you put in is what you get out. If you study hard and don't expect to be babied, you will do just fine. Personally speaking, I didn't do as hot as i wanted to undergrad, but I made sure i wouldn't make that same mistake in OD school. My GPA is by far better here and it will continue to rise if I keep it up the hard work...Remember its what you put in!

7) We have plenty of entertainment and activities/clubs at our disposal. VOSH took students to Domican republic for a trip, there are monthly screenings that you can attend, plenty of student clubs that fit your niche...etc. We also are 25 mins from the awesome beaches of PR (go further and youll get to culebra...search it on google!) There is national rainforest, zipline tours, San Juan nightlife, clubs/bars, outlet malls, bat caves, Old san juan...amongst a million other things.

I think im done for now, but I am open to questions about PR and the school. Thanks for starting this thread with the purpose of informative discussion, and not bashing (like every other thread).

Gracias amigos.

Last edited:
I interviewed at IAUPR and while at first I did not know what to expect, I was very impressed by the school when I visited. The restructuring of the curriculum looks promising and I've bumped up the school on my priority list.

While at first I did not know about having to learn more Spanish, I actually see it as an opportunity now as being bilingual is a major selling point for ODs.

San Juan also seems to be a great area from the sunny beaches to the cultural and historic spots.

What I don't get is why are we questioning people's authenticity and intentions behind comments when there should be some real conversation taking place here. From what I gather this thread is for informative purposes and so it should be used for that. :)

Was thinking the same thing. :cool:

yeah, I agree....I dont understand the haters who know nothing about Puerto Rico or its school. Where do you get off judging that school? Do your research...

Fact: 34.10 % of the spanish speaking population of the world lives in north america. (http://www.spanishseo.org/resources/worldwide-spanish-speaking-population)

in some parts of the US local percentages of spanish-speaking people (can be 40% or higher (AZ, TX, FL...to name a few)

and the stats are ever increasing.

do the math...if you cant speak spanish, ~30% of your client base wont come to you, or if they do, you will have to rely on or even be paying someone else to translate for you.

if your potential client base were 10,000 people....and each one came in regularly (except those who speak spanish, because you don't speak it) and each time they visited, they only paid $1 in a given year...that would leave you with that would leave you with $7000 wherein you could have earned $10,000.

i know my analogy is lame but..still
in the real world - there is competition, you may wont get your entire patient base. you'll be loosing it to someone else for whatever the reason (lower prices, better selection, closer location, SPANISH competency...etc)

what im trying to get at here is that there is only ONE school that is an official BILINGUAL SPAN/ENG school in the US. What it has to offer besides that is good pathology (that I wont find on the mainland) among other things, Im sure. I think whomever is permitted to go there is lucky (either for schooling, or for an externship)

I say...there should be less haters from the outside looking in, more positive from the inside, and more curiosity from the outside. Since optometry has no ranking system, and all the schools teach the same material. this school is just as good as any other - who knows, maybe better...

it looks like there are some pretty good students there from the posts in this thread.

It looks like they are willing to answer any concerns we may have

Wow! what OD's have you been shadowing?

Year after year, by far, the lowest GPA and OAT of all schools. Poor NBEO pass rates as well.

For as long as I can remember, IAUPR has been known as the school for native spanish speakers & those who want immersion in the laguage, but primarily as the school for applicants rejected by all other programs or kicked out of another school.

I'm sure the clinical/academic training is adequate, but you're starting in a hole with those numbers.

in the end...an OD is an OD no matter where you went to obtain it. Post-graduation, ODs are all on the same playing field. An OD who graduated from Puerto Rico will know the same things (except maybe spanish) and do the same things that an OD who graduated from (INSERT NAME OF SCHOOL HERE).

If you are good, people will come to you regardless of where you went.

How many of our patients are going to care where we went to to get our schooling..slim to none - because in our profession, it doesn't matter. Or better yet, how many will refuse to come to us because of the school we went to? again...slim to none...and if so..thats fine, i wouldnt have wanted them as patients anyway - scaring off the normal people.

Whether you go to the most expensive school or the cheapest school, a school on an island, or a school on the mainland, whether you go to Canada, or stay in the US...if you're going to be a practitioner, it wont matter.

We are all held to the same standard on the boards

Just keep that in mind...

in the end...an OD is an OD no matter where you went to obtain it. Post-graduation, ODs are all on the same playing field....
Not true. You need to have passed all parts of the NBEO to get licensed to practice, not just an OD degree.

Since this is the Pre-Optometry forum, its used to help applicants decide where to apply. Choosing a school that historically has poor peformance in passing the NBEO should be a huge factor!

A good individual will pass the boards no matter where they attend, but not all schools will prepare you equally to take them, and that's where the stats don't lie.

Defenders are quick to glaze over the school's poor performance and low admission standards, but the fact remains that a large number of IAUPR students could not get in anywhere else.

I'd never advise anyone to choose that type of program if they were accepted somewhere else.

A good individual will pass the boards no matter where they attend, but not all schools will prepare you equally to take them, and that's where the stats don't lie.

Defenders are quick to glaze over the school's poor performance and low admission standards, but the fact remains that a large number of IAUPR students could not get in anywhere else.

I'd never advise anyone to choose that type of program if they were accepted somewhere else.

Okay, this thread was meant to be informative on the school and PR. I agree with both cjensen and optsuker on different regards. Yes I do believe Spanish does give you an edge up, and that this school is no different than any other, permitting you pass the boards.

However, it is on the individual to get there and pass them. You are not babied here (or anywhere else i would imagine), so it is truly on the student on how you prepare for boards. All the material is presented and KMK comes down to do their courses...etc.etc. Also, our professors all are ODs, MDs, PhDs that are very intelligent, have done residencies in the states..etc...so I do not buy the notion that the school does not prepare us.

As mentioned earlier, most students coming to PR in the 80s and early 90s were a majority puerto rican natives. So board scores have been low as those that wanted to stay behind in PR did not require boards to practice here. As of lately, board scores will go up, accreditation is intact, and applicant pool will become more competitive.

Students come here for many reasons, which yes, includes being their plan B option. However, we have students who made this their first and only choice, wanted to come here due to their PR/hispanic background, wanted a high pathology clinic...etc.

Again, I am open to questions and informative discussion.

Last edited:
I was inferring that an OD would have passed all his/hers boards...my school doesnt allow graduation without first passing the boards...and was unaware that other schools werent on the same page

well, who are you to advise? I'm Interested to know. What are your qualifications that make you THE advisor of pre opt students?
have you ever been to Puerto Rico? Have you ever studied there? have you ever worked with anyone who came from there?:confused:
Do you have any merit on why you would advise this...or is it particular and bias opinion?
You can graduate from most optometry schools without passing NBEO (I'd be surprised if a school could legally mandate that you do). There are some that graduate and never passed boards, they just can't practice/get licensed.

I've been adjunct faculty at 5 OD schools and directed a hospital-based clinic that had 4th year externs from 6-7 different schools. I'm now the faculty advisor for 2 universities' pre-opt clubs.

I'm not THE advisor, I'm an advisor. But I do think I'm more qualified than you to give advice.

I've been to PR on vacation, beautiful island!
I've worked with several grads, one side by side for 2 years, he's a fine doctor, and he readily admits what I've said here.

I understand your defensiveness, but don't let it bias you into giving potential students bad information.

Students come here for many reasons, which yes, includes being their plan B option. However, we have students who made this their first and only choice, wanted to come here due to their PR/hispanic background, wanted a high pathology clinic...etc.

I being one of them. Though my grades where not stellar, I DEFINITELY had the scores to get in someplace else (Look at my previous posts). I chose this school due to my experience working with 4rth year clinic students, and a IAUPR resident. Also, one of the 4rth year students was a IAUPR student. And personally, They displayed more confidence than many other 4rth year students. Grant it, It was all personal. But it still played a roll in my decision. Keesh and I already explained the low board scores. So you will have to wait a couple of months to see what I assure you will be improvements. Any other questions?

Last edited:
I was just recently accepted into PR, and will most likely be going there (95% sure). Now, time to abuse this thread with some questions!
I have a bunch of random questions, most of the important ones have already been answered by DrSpontazeous in other posts.

1. If I plan to live on campus, how early do you think I should get there? School starts on August 11th. I can set up the house with the school over the phone or email correct? They will assign me a room I guess?

2. How long does orientation last?

3. I know that mostly everything is within reach, but I do plan on purchasing a car. How much do you think any point A to point B car would cost? I'm just thinking a Honda Civic, Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla/Camry, Nissan, etc.

4. I've heard that driving in PR is crazy. To me, I think that's possibly an advantage. I drive in New Jersey, New York, and have driven overseas where most people don't seem to follow the rules, what's your experience driving in PR? Also, how are the police force there? Do they pull you over and give you tickets like they do here in the states?

I think those are the questions for now :D

I was just recently accepted into PR, and will most likely be going there (95% sure). Now, time to abuse this thread with some questions!
I have a bunch of random questions, most of the important ones have already been answered by DrSpontazeous in other posts.

1. If I plan to live on campus, how early do you think I should get there? School starts on August 11th. I can set up the house with the school over the phone or email correct? They will assign me a room I guess?

2. How long does orientation last?

3. I know that mostly everything is within reach, but I do plan on purchasing a car. How much do you think any point A to point B car would cost? I'm just thinking a Honda Civic, Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla/Camry, Nissan, etc.

4. I've heard that driving in PR is crazy. To me, I think that's possibly an advantage. I drive in New Jersey, New York, and have driven overseas where most people don't seem to follow the rules, what's your experience driving in PR? Also, how are the police force there? Do they pull you over and give you tickets like they do here in the states?

I think those are the questions for now :D

1. well orientation is aug 3rd-5th, so you can arrive like the 1st of aug. You will need to call the housing office (ask for Gladys) at the school and she will give you all the details, and how assignment works.

2. Orientation starts Wed. Aug 3rd - Friday 5th.

3. many 1st and 2nd yr students DO NOT have a car..Sams/walgreens are walking distance, and the school sponsers "shopping trips" on the weekends. However, students do buy from older students for a basic car (nissan, kia...) from anywhere from $3000-$5000. New and even used cars can run from $8000 up (from dealership and lots). Renting a car for our fun weekends is cheap ($47 total, then split a couple ways with friends).

4. Driving here is nuts, people do what they want when they want. And its the accepted way of driving...so just be cautious and keep your eyes on the other cars. They love to honk..haha. cops drive with their lights on, and yes they give tickets, but you need to be doing something hella crazy to get noticed by cops. Nothing to worry about tho...just a little different..haha

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum and I would love some insight to help me decide on an optometry school. Since I started to pursue optometry, I briefly browsed various optometry schools and knew then that IAUPR is where I wanted to go! I passed the OAT with 350AA and 370TS, have a decent GPA 3.5, and applied to 5 schools: IAUPR, NECO, SCCO, UIW, and Western University.

Yesterday, I had a phone interview with IAUPR and was offered acceptance, Yay!
Friday, I'll be in San Antonio for an interview with University of Incarnate World.
Next Wed, I'll have an interview with SCCO in Fullerton.
April 29th, I'll have an interview with NECO.

I'm pretty confident in my interview abilities, and I think my qualifications are strong. If I am offered acceptance to all these schools, I will have a hard time deciding.

I read in another thread that IAUPR should be a plan "B", but it had always been my plan "A". I know optometry school is what I make of it, and I will work hard. I was drawn by the opportunity to improve my spanish at IAUPR and become fully trilingual. I also have heard great things about experience in diagnosing various pathologies at IAUPR. However, the negative comments about the faculty and staff is making me nervous in my decision. I did notice during my application process that neither of the two voicemails I left were returned, and I never received any of the email correspondence that they promise me over the phone. That somewhat concerns me.

I've also heard from a current student at SCCO that their 4th year students felt a lot more prepared than students of other optometry program during their clinical rotations. Also, SCCO has a near perfect board exam pass rate. I can get tuition discounts through WICHE/PSEP. Most importantly, Fullerton, rather LGB, is a short/cheap flight to my home state of Colorado. I wish Colorado had an optometry school, sigh!

So I guess I'm torn between IAUPR and SCCO, help!

Are the clinical rotations all over the world? I know some schools offer clinicals in Europe and NECO, for example, has one in China. Are these clinical opportunities available to all 4th year optometry students?

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Thanks!

~Smile, Laugh, Be Free!

at the school of your choice, they may already have a clinical rotation set up somewhere in China, if not you can always open one up. it takes maybe a years prior planning and contacting, but the sky is the limit

I read in another thread that IAUPR should be a plan "B", but it had always been my plan "A". I know optometry school is what I make of it, and I will work hard. I was drawn by the opportunity to improve my spanish at IAUPR and become fully trilingual. I also have heard great things about experience in diagnosing various pathologies at IAUPR. However, the negative comments about the faculty and staff is making me nervous in my decision. I did notice during my application process that neither of the two voicemails I left were returned, and I never received any of the email correspondence that they promise me over the phone. That somewhat concerns me.

I wouldnt worry too much about what you read here on boards...there are a lot of negative people, and the facts may or may not be

if i were you, I'd find some actual students that are there. there are a few here on the boards, including the original poster aaronisrahn
i would ask them directly, and not worry about what the outsiders have to say. Thats what ive done...
:thumbup:

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum and I would love some insight to help me decide on an optometry school. Since I started to pursue optometry, I briefly browsed various optometry schools and knew then that IAUPR is where I wanted to go! I passed the OAT with 350AA and 370TS, have a decent GPA 3.5, and applied to 5 schools: IAUPR, NECO, SCCO, UIW, and Western University.!
With those numbers, I think you'd be crazy to consider any of the new schools or IAUPR.

Choosing your professional school is one of the biggest decisions we make and should definitely be done with our head, not our heart.

To me, the WICHE option makes this an obvious decision.

With those numbers, I think you'd be crazy to consider any of the new schools or IAUPR.

Choosing your professional school is one of the biggest decisions we make and should definitely be done with our head, not our heart.

To me, the WICHE option makes this an obvious decision.

I have to agree. You will be surrounded by students that are not as intelligent as you at IAUPR (unless this is what you desire). You should go to an established school and not one that the average GPA is 3.0 and OAT 290. Most of the students that go there don't even take the boards because they want to practice in PR. They are much less strict about optometry in PR. In any case, you can learn Spanish in any major city. I lived in a Spanish neighborhood in NYC and I learned how to speak it somewhat.

I have to agree. You will be surrounded by students that are not as intelligent as you at IAUPR (unless this is what you desire). You should go to an established school and not one that the average GPA is 3.0 and OAT 290. Most of the students that go there don't even take the boards because they want to practice in PR. They are much less strict about optometry in PR. In any case, you can learn Spanish in any major city. I lived in a Spanish neighborhood in NYC and I learned how to speak it somewhat.

please dont make wild assumptions like this..your not even in opt school yet, let alone PR. How can you make judgement that the students here are "less intelligent"? Do you know any students from our school? it seems your basing "intelligence" solely on undergrad grades and OAT scores. As stated, I did great my first semester, and am on track to get a 4.0 this semester...Does that make me intelligent now by your standards? If you read my earlier posts I said the extreme majority of students are from the US mainland. So most students not taking boards is not true. I didn't know if you knew or not but our school has been open since 1980, so wouldn't you consider it established?

to coloradosky, good luck with the rest of your interviews. Weigh your options, talk/interact with students from each school, and see whats the best fit for you. As Cjensen said, the clinical opp. are limitless. You get in touch with our director and you can "open" a site overseas, if you choose to do so.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Standardized tests are basically IQ tests. There is a reason why admissions committees weigh them so much. If you want to be a PhD. you take the GRE, if you want to be an MD you take the MCAT, Lawyer LSAT, etc etc, so yes they do measure intelligence. IAUPR is basically the optometry equivalent of carribean med schools.

Now that being said, there are outliers of course, students have different levels of intelligence and you can be one of the smart ones.

If you can get WICHE to go to SCCO, I would probably go there. It is a very good school with a long history of success. If not, pick your favorite school. I could understand going to the puerto rico school and i believe the students when they say that it is turning around its bad reputation. But the thing is, to turn around a bad reputation, you have to 1st have a bad reputation. This is not what you want to have when picking a school. If you feel like being able to speak spanish would be a major perk where you want to practice, you must definitely consider puerto rico, but you also could take spanish classes or learn it on your own.

As for shnurek's statement that peurto rico generally has less intelligent people, makes sense to me. It is not meant as an insult, but if that is not what that meant why do schools try to accept the highest GPA's and OAT scores. Its a universal concept. It doesn't mean that puerto rico students are not inteligent or are incapable.

The point of this thread is to address legitimate questions and concerns, in which student who attend the school (being that they are the only ones who know how things work) answer. This brings me to the issue with the term bad reputation. Honestly, the only "bad reputation" that I came across concerning IAUPR is on this forum. Being the reason why I came up with this thread.
That being said, I urge those to keep their ignorant opinions to themselves. I understand that it is hard for some of you, being that your "intelligence" insist on spreading revelation amongst all.
Questions concerning the school?

The point of this thread is to address legitimate questions and concerns, in which student who attend the school (being that they are the only ones who know how things work) answer. This brings me to the issue with the term bad reputation. Honestly, the only "bad reputation" that I came across concerning IAUPR is on this forum. Being the reason why I came up with this thread.
That being said, I urge those to keep their ignorant opinions to themselves. I understand that it is hard for some of you, being that your "intelligence" insist on spreading revelation amongst all.
IAUPR had a bad reputation long before this forum existed.

The point of the of the whole website is to help students make good decisions when it comes to what field to go into and to what school.

Calling the biased opinion of current students who are defensive/embarassed about attending IAUPR the only legitimate souce of information just makes that fact more obvious.

What % of IAUPR would have preferred going to an established school in the States?

IAUPR had a bad reputation long before this forum existed.

The point of the of the whole website is to help students make good decisions when it comes to what field to go into and to what school.

Calling the biased opinion of current students who are defensive/embarassed about attending IAUPR the only legitimate souce of information just makes that fact more obvious.

What % of IAUPR would have preferred going to an established school in the States?

For Someone who posted frequently on this topic, you sure don't seem to either a get an understanding of this thread, or choose not to read post made from other people. Yes, the point of this website is help students make good decisions; However, this is a thread amongst many others addressing a topic not suitable for mislead assumptions. You quoted me right?
But, you did raise a good question asking what percent of IAUPR would have preferred going to an established instate school by saying... I don't Know. I for one chose this school and it was my number one choice. Obviously I am not the only one considering the fact that there is a post of a student able to go someplace else on this thread (Just stating that in case you were understanding this thread...) But if I was to guess, I would say that the percentage of students wanting to be in the state equals the percentage of students who are in the states wanting to be in their 1st choice school. Now I am only guessing so we can go on for days about my assumption but, that wouldn't be the point of this thread. But thanks for the question optsucker.

Ignorant, not a nice word. You've provided a very informative thread that reshaped what i thought of your school. It went from somewhere i would not go to, to somewhere i would go if i was going to practice in a largely hispanic population. I said that in what i posted, i said it had intelligent people. I said it was improving. I mean wow, i took that from you! because i believe what you said! Your the teacher, we're the students. Never call a students opinion ignorant. I wish you all the luck in improving your school and securing great new students and raising your NBEO scores and staying accredited.

Peace

The term ignorant simply means to be without knowledge. Sorry If my choice of words offended you. That being said, I am not your teacher, and you are not my student. But IF you disagree with me on that topic, then don't let comments dictate a decision. There are plenty of "blunt" people representing every school on this forum.
I encourage those not to believe everything I or anyone say here as fact. Information provided on this thread is not the location in which things are set in stone. What is discussed here should then be your incentive, if interested, to investigate. There are plenty of misinformed information concerning every school on this website. However, that doesn't mean the majority of us don't do our best to at least provide good understanding.

Last edited:
I'd never really thought of PR as a choice for optometry school (maybe because I never looked into it), but this thread really provides an interesting view on it!!

How are the professors at IAUPR? Can they speak well in English? How's their attitude, professionalism etc. [Asking IAUPR students]

P.S. Arahnisarahn - good job holding up a positive view!!

at the school of your choice, they may already have a clinical rotation set up somewhere in China, if not you can always open one up. it takes maybe a years prior planning and contacting, but the sky is the limit

Thanks for the info!

I'd never really thought of PR as a choice for optometry school (maybe because I never looked into it), but this thread really provides an interesting view on it!!

How are the professors at IAUPR? Can they speak well in English? How's their attitude, professionalism etc. [Asking IAUPR students]

P.S. Arahnisarahn - good job holding up a positive view!!

All your classes are in English (tests..etc, as the boards are in English). All the professors, librarians, and admin staff speak English! With the first year professors, i haven't had any troubles chatting with them about tests, going to office hours...etc. In a professional setting, you show respect to get respect, so its not any problem!

im sure others can give their thoughts.

The term ignorant simply means to be without knowledge. Sorry If my choice of words offended you. That being said, I am not your teacher, and you are not my student. But IF you disagree with me on that topic, then don't let comments dictate a decision. There are plenty of "blunt" people representing every school on this forum.
I encourage those not to believe everything I or anyone say here as fact. Information provided on this thread is not the location in which things are set in stone. What is discussed here should then be your incentive, if interested, to investigate. There are plenty of misinformed information concerning every school on this website. However, that doesn't mean the majority of us don't do our best to at least provide good understanding.

Arahnisarahn, you have the right to call them ignorant. Calling someone "less intelligent" is clearly an insult, and you don't have to take that crap. And the OATs, MCATs etc are not IQ tests. And Optsuker, you can be the smartest pre-optometry advisor in the world with infinite knowledge and I would not listen to a single word you have to say. You'd spoil every lesson you teach by being a condescending snob. Advisor Optsuker, maybe you should take lessons at IAUPR on respect. Keeshdawg seems to have picked that up in his 1st year there.

Arahnisarahn, you have the right to call them ignorant. Calling someone "less intelligent" is clearly an insult, and you don't have to take that crap. And the OATs, MCATs etc are not IQ tests. And Optsuker, you can be the smartest pre-optometry advisor in the world with infinite knowledge and I would not listen to a single word you have to say. You'd spoil every lesson you teach by being a condescending snob. Advisor Optsuker, maybe you should take lessons at IAUPR on respect. Keeshdawg seems to have picked that up in his 1st year there.

You caught me.
I apologize for saying that they are less intelligent, im sure it comes of condescending which was not my intention. I was trying to point out that puerto rico (and every school) would rather accept candidates with 4.0 gpa's and 400 oat's yet they have the lowest of any school. Im not picking a fight. my point was that the the student can get wiche to pay for half there tuition they should really do that.
I truly am sorry for offending people. please, dont let this post go on a tangent like so many do. keep up the information, Arahnisarahn is doing a very great job here.

And the OATs, MCATs etc are not IQ tests.

Sounds like someone could be a "bad test taker" lol
Whatever keeps you sane.

And in case you were wondering, no I am not being a snob as I grew up in a bad neighborhood in NYC. I made it out so I've seen both sides of society.

Sounds like someone could be a "bad test taker" lol
Whatever keeps you sane.

And in case you were wondering, no I am not being a snob as I grew up in a bad neighborhood in NYC. I made it out so I've seen both sides of society.

Gee, I hope this "bad test taker" you're referring to isn't me. I did quite well! Thanks for reminding me :laugh:. But like most other students, I scored high because I prepared well. Shnurek, I never called you a snob but I'm glad to know of your humble beginnings since you brought them up. Anyways, we're going off on a tangent boasting about ourselves.

But IAUPR, lets talk about this school. I didn't apply here but I'm curious to know more about the campus and its students. My questions:

How often do you take exams during the first year?

I noticed your school only offers one residency spot this year. Are you looking to increase the number of residencies in the near future?

Last edited:
Gee, I hope this "bad test taker" you're referring to isn't me. I finished every section on the OATs with at least 10 minutes on each to spare. I even took an early restroom break during reading comprehension. I did quite well! Thanks for reminding me :laugh:. But like most other students, I scored high because I prepared well. Not because I have a genius' IQ. Shnurek, I never called you a snob but I'm glad to know of your humble beginnings since you brought them up. Anyways, we're going off on a tangent boasting about ourselves.

But IAUPR, lets talk about this school. I didn't apply here but I'm curious to know more about the campus and its students. My questions:

I noticed your school only offers one residency spot this year. Are you looking to increase the number of residencies in the near future?

Hey there,

Each class (we have 6 and a couple labs) has usually 3 midterm exams plus a final. They are usually spread in a reasonable manner during the semester.

As for residency spots, I cant really say. You may have to get in touch with the clinic director..sorry i couldnt be more of a help in this regard.

Standardized tests are basically IQ tests. There is a reason why admissions committees weigh them so much. If you want to be a PhD. you take the GRE, if you want to be an MD you take the MCAT, Lawyer LSAT, etc etc, so yes they do measure intelligence. IAUPR is basically the optometry equivalent of carribean med schools.

Now that being said, there are outliers of course, students have different levels of intelligence and you can be one of the smart ones.

words of a small mind....

Reactions: 1 user
Gee, I hope this "bad test taker" you're referring to isn't me. I did quite well! Thanks for reminding me :laugh:. But like most other students, I scored high because I prepared well. Shnurek, I never called you a snob but I'm glad to know of your humble beginnings since you brought them up. Anyways, we're going off on a tangent boasting about ourselves.

hey i was curious too on your question..it looks like PR has a second residency in the works - Ocular diseases

i wonder when it'll be ready, id like to take a look at that one.

anyone know how i could get more info on that?

hey all, keep in mind the purpose of this thread. aaronisrahn has made it obviously to give a positive outlook on his school.

I for one applaud him for trying, and for defending his school. I enjoying reading the positives about this school and any other school as well. I would say that the negatives have another place to go, and are better off expressed there, or not at all.

I would say, that there are other threads where one could write all their negatives and complaints about Puerto Rico, or any other school for that matter

I'd just like to share a quote from the Disney Movie Bambi that I think we could all learn from..
"...if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all..."

there are negatives from all/any schools.

thank you everyone else who has had positive things to say, or genuine questions - keep 'em comin'...thats how we all learn

Surely it's a person's own decision to attend the school they think suits them (and for whatever reason) without someone having to bash them. For whatever reason any of us do not approve of a particular school, it is no way a guest pass to criticize others for choosing it just because it's not the decision you would make. That being said, no doubt we all have taken steps to SERIOUSLY think about what type of education we want and what school fits the type of student we are. If I got on here saying I wanted to go to school in FL, CA, or PR b/c of the nice weather, that's one thing, but if someone truly feels as though a particular school is the best for them, then we should be praising each other for taking such a tremendous career step- we may all be colleagues down the road. And more power to those that take the "less safe" route. Who knows, they may end up paving the road for future classes and turn it all around. Point of it all is that we all have to make the decision based on what is best for us and what each of our career goals are. Who knows, one of us may find ourselves working with the school on some level in the future. Though it is not the school for me, I am really interested in hearing what everyone has to say- thanks for the info.