Icahn Flexmed Chances? 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

screenjunkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just joined SDN because I feel like I really need to get some opinions on this.

I recently found out about the Flexmed program at Mt. Sinai, and am very interested to say the least. Before I become too involved, I figured I'd get a reality check--if I have no shot at getting in, I'd want to know now.
So here are some of my stats:

College: HYPSM
Year/Major: Freshman/Chemical Bio+Psychology
SAT: 2400 single sitting
HS GPA: ~3.4 UW, 17 AP
College GPA: ~3.6
Relevant EC (HS): 2-sport HS All-American, bunch of lesser athletic awards, NMS, Nat'l AP Scholar, NHS, Christian Service, Catholic Ministry, certified concert pianist, liturgical band, 2 jobs, medical research (w/ 2 publications), surgeon shadowing, P2P Student Ambassador.
College EC thus far: school news editor, satire mag writer, reviewer for undergrad research journal, student researcher, student gov't, athletics, and various service/science clubs.
Also relevant to Flexmed: Fluent in both Spanish and Mandarin (apparently these are recommended?).

I understand that both of my GPAs are on the extreme low end of the scale for competitive applicants. What I want to know is if I have a realistic shot at getting in, as I really do not want to become too invested if the honest answer is no. So, please be as honest as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

The average college GPA for FlexMed in 2014 was 3.79. I think you have a chance, but it's hardly a lock.

I think you're spending too much time on ECs and not enough on classes. Is that "3.4 UW" referring to a 3.4 GPA obtained from college classes at the University of Washington? I could be wrong here, but I think those classes count towards your uGPA. If dropping two of those activities would bring you to 3.7, it would be well worth it: med schools mostly only care about volunteering, clinical experience, and research. It's nice to know that you just aren't sitting in your dorm room all day playing League of Legends, but the kids who are putting in volunteer hours at the local hospice are going to be looked at a lot more favorably at interview time, even if they're spending less time overall on activities.

Hey Doug thanks for the reply first of all. "3.4 UW" means 3.4 unweighted, just regular GPA. I'm a first year (never taken classes at a college during HS) and have a 3.6 thus far.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If the average GPA for Flexmed program is 3.79, I highly doubt you would stand a chance with a 3.6, though your ECs might help. You should just send in your application and see how it turns out. No one besides people on the admissions will know how you going to do, especially when it's just one program. No point discussing your chances here.

Hey Doug thanks for the reply first of all. "3.4 UW" means 3.4 unweighted, just regular GPA. I'm a first year at a HYPSM (never taken classes at a college during HS) and have a 3.6 thus far.

Respectfully, I think you should disregard any advice Doug gives you based singularly on the fact he somehow interpreted the line, "HS GPA: ~3.4 UW, 17 AP," to mean the University of Washington.

You should continue participating in the activities that interest you, pursue solid research, bring your GPA up to 3.75+, 36+ MCAT (which you should be able to do), and I believe you'll end up at a medical school better than Sinai. I'm not sure of the admission standards of the FlexMed program, but you're probably better off not completely locking yourself into one program (even if Sinai is a great school).

Respectfully, I think you should disregard any advice Doug gives you based singularly on the fact he somehow interpreted the line, "HS GPA: ~3.4 UW, 17 AP," to mean the University of Washington.

You should continue participating in the activities that interest you, pursue solid research, bring your GPA up to 3.75+, 36+ MCAT (which you should be able to do), and I believe you'll end up at a medical school better than Sinai. I'm not sure of the admission standards of the FlexMed program, but you're probably better off not completely locking yourself into one program (even if Sinai is a great school).

That's a bold statement. Sinai's MSAR stats are ~3.8 and 37. OP you should definitely pursue what interests you. If you want to apply then go for it and don't let others dissuade you (you're definitely not out of the running since your test scores, ECs, and pedigree are solid). If you're invited for an interview, you'll be able to see and judge the school for yourself. Good luck!

I would strongly caution extrapolating SAT --> MCAT. I knew plenty of idiots that scored highly (>2250) on the SAT. I know no idiots that scored above a 40 on the MCAT.

Until you have your MCAT you have no idea which schools you'd be competitive at, and you'll want to bring up that 3.6 as it's pretty borderline for many "good" medical schools (for top 20 bottom 10% is ~ 3.6, and that's often URM/distance traveled/other circumstances).

Resiroth I'm not sure from your comment if you are aware, but flexmed is a sophomore early assurance program, and doesn't require MCAT or traditional pre-med reqs. Other than that I agree with you and the above posters, that my GPA obviously needs improvement.

I just graduated high school and I'm interested in applying to flexmed, but my high school gpa/grades aren't great either so I'm in a similar boat just 2 years earlier. I didn't really consider medical school (or any STEM field) until a few months ago. I was set on studying international relations or political science. But, I plan to really work hard my first 1.5 years of undergrad and get a stellar gpa. (I had some emotional/psychological issues in high school so my grades don't really reflect my intellect. Not trying to absolve myself of guilt, but my hs gpa isn't a great indicator of my future college grades.) Do I have a chance at flexmed?

College: Bryn Mawr College (women's liberal arts college) class of 2019
Major: probably double major in psychology and international studies
ACT: (didn't take the SAT) 34 (35 Reading, 35 Science, 34 English, 30 Math, 10 Writing)
HS GPA: 4.0-4.1 weighted, my school won't give me unweighted

Rigorous (I hope) high school courses: 13 AP's (Calc AB (C, 4) , Calc BC (C, 5), US History (A, 5), Euro (A, ?), Macro (A, ?), Micro (A, ?), Bio (B, 4), Stats (B, ?), Lit (B, ?), Lang (A, 5), Music Theory (A, didn't take), Psych (A, ?), Spanish (B, ?)), honors anatomy and physiology (C), honors spanish (3 years, an A and 2 B's). I've only had honors chem (B) in 10th grade, and no physics. I told you, I was going to be a music/poli sci major...

oh also proficient in spanish and italian

High school EC's: President of Model UN; 4 years forensics team w/ superior distinction, varsity 2 years, all-american award; Bach Choir (community professional choir); Private Voice (7 years); CMU Pre-College Music (classical voice); Pittsburgh Opera Intern/apprentice/volunteer (I've served a variety of functions); NJHS/NHS; Orchestra Apprenticeship; Piano lessons; Spanish Club; World Affairs Council Youth Summit; World Affairs Council Video Seminars; Georgetown Intro to Law summer class; Intro to Computer Science at Duquesne University; shadowing a doctor this summer; summer job at Kumon

In college, I know I'm going to continue private voice, choral singing, piano, model un and get involved in a cappella, dance (ballet), musical theater, and shadowing/volunteering

I know I have close to zero demonstrated interest in anything science-related at the moment, but isn't the point of flexmed to attract humanities majors?