ICO Interview Perspectives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tubatu111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is for those of you that have interviewed at ICO this cycle. Mind sharing your experience? Pace, atmosphere, details on your interview ( I know it varies with different faculty). I have mine tomorrow so I am just doing some last minute prep. Anything can help :)

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

I just interviewed today! It started with a file review with Alison Perle (there were four of us and we each went in individually), then there was a 10-minute writing sample, then someone came in to talk about financial aid, then someone came to talk about the career services on campus, then we each got interviewed by a different faculty member (they said each interview was 45 to 60 minutes but I honestly didn't check how long mine took), then a tour with some students, and lunch with more students, then wrap-up with the director of admissions who told us what to expect next (when we'd hear back, etc).

as for atmosphere, everyone was really enthusiastic and smiley and jovial.

I just interviewed today! It started with a file review with Alison Perle (there were four of us and we each went in individually), then there was a 10-minute writing sample, then someone came in to talk about financial aid, then someone came to talk about the career services on campus, then we each got interviewed by a different faculty member (they said each interview was 45 to 60 minutes but I honestly didn't check how long mine took), then a tour with some students, and lunch with more students, then wrap-up with the director of admissions who told us what to expect next (when we'd hear back, etc).

as for atmosphere, everyone was really enthusiastic and smiley and jovial.
Thank you for the insight. Can you go into detail at all as to the scope of "questions" you encountered? Or was it truly a conversational format where there was not a laundry list of sharp questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
whoops, sorry for not seeing this sooner. hope your interview went well, though!

whoops, sorry for not seeing this sooner. hope your interview went well, though!
Hey no sweat. I don't know about you but I am my worse critic. I can't say I smashed it but I think I did well to not hurt myself. It was hard to read how it was going to be honest.

I noticed you had your interview two weeks ago, have you heard back? /any advice on the interview?

They incidentally met on Thursday the following week to decide. I called in the afternoon the next day and was told I was ACCEPTED! It was the first of 5 interviews I had scheduled too! Looks like I won't have to bother with the rest, although I do plan on going to one other just to make sure I give myself options.

There were 4 other applicants with me on interview day and we all had different faculty members when it came time for our one-on-one. Personally, my interview was pretty informal/conversational. Make sure you have appropriate interview etiquette. Don't cut the interviewer off, make sure you sit properly and make eye contact, SMILE. As far as the actual dialogue, it wasn't always a question/answer format. Sometimes my interviewer would make a remark with the implicit expectation that you continue the thought. Obviously you want to use any opportunity to speak to convey who you are and give a thoughtful/honest answer. I honestly think as long as you know your application inside out and have spent time being contemplative about your experiences you'll be fine.

Bon Chance :)

Reactions: 1 user