ICO Interview Tips and Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dani91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently received an invite to interview at ICO and I am super excited about it! I was wondering if anyone has already gone for an interview and has any advice for me on how to prepare or what they encountered?

I have taken a look at the questions posted here on Student Network, but was hoping for more of an in depth account on what I can except on the day of the interview. I have had another interview at RSO which was pretty laid back in terms of the questions asked during the actual interview. I've heard that ICO can be very tough and pick apart your file (grades, OAT scores, etc..) so I just want to be fully prepared!

Thanks for all of your help!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I recently received an invite to interview at ICO and I am super excited about it! I was wondering if anyone has already gone for an interview and has any advice for me on how to prepare or what they encountered?

I have taken a look at the questions posted here on Student Network, but was hoping for more of an in depth account on what I can except on the day of the interview. I have had another interview at RSO which was pretty laid back in terms of the questions asked during the actual interview. I've heard that ICO can be very tough and pick apart your file (grades, OAT scores, etc..) so I just want to be fully prepared!

Thanks for all of your help!! :)
Congrats on the interview invite from ICO! I'm still waiting to hear back from them, but I'm going to Indiana next week for their admission day so I'm pretty stoked for that too! Hopefully I can get in there :) I did recently get into MCPHS though so that's also a relief!

Reactions: 1 user
So i interviewed at PUCO, ICO, Indiana and NOVA. ICO is somewhat different for every person. Ill explain. For those that have academic 'question marks' such as low GPA, low OAT, low course GPA, low individual score on OAT, they want answers/explanations. For me that wasn't as much an issue as other stuff. So if you have academic low points such as retaking courses, failed courses etc… or anything mentioned above, be expected to give an answer. Beyond that the day starts around 9 i believe, you do a writing sample, then you have individual interviews, then a tour, then a lunch and then another talk about financial stuff. Day is 9-2 i think. For the individual interview it was fairly laid back for me, know answers for standard questions and some personal experience that motivated you toward optometry. The group you interview with will probably only be like 4 people total…. ummmm cant think of anything else. Let me know if you want more info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the interview invite from ICO! I'm still waiting to hear back from them, but I'm going to Indiana next week for their admission day so I'm pretty stoked for that too! Hopefully I can get in there :) I did recently get into MCPHS though so that's also a relief!

That's terrific news!! Congratulations :) hopefully you hear back from ICO soon as well!

So i interviewed at PUCO, ICO, Indiana and NOVA. ICO is somewhat different for every person. Ill explain. For those that have academic 'question marks' such as low GPA, low OAT, low course GPA, low individual score on OAT, they want answers/explanations. For me that wasn't as much an issue as other stuff. So if you have academic low points such as retaking courses, failed courses etc… or anything mentioned above, be expected to give an answer. Beyond that the day starts around 9 i believe, you do a writing sample, then you have individual interviews, then a tour, then a lunch and then another talk about financial stuff. Day is 9-2 i think. For the individual interview it was fairly laid back for me, know answers for standard questions and some personal experience that motivated you toward optometry. The group you interview with will probably only be like 4 people total…. ummmm cant think of anything else. Let me know if you want more info.

Thank you for your response! The only thing I'm a little worried about explaining is that my first OAT score was not as great as I expected 280/300, but I did improve when I retook it so hopefully that will be self explanatory to them :)