ICO Scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrandNewSpaces

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

When I received my acceptance letter from ICO, there was also an information sheet about the Trustee Scholarship that was in the envelope, however it didn't actually state that I was receiving it. I called the school to clarify, and they said it must have been inserted with my letter by mistake (cue heartbreak). However, I do remember when I originally called ICO to inquire about my admission status, the admissions counsellor on the phone mentioned that I could make a request for them to re-assess my application to re-consider scholarship qualification.

Just wondering if anyone has ever done this? Does anyone know how many Trustee Scholarships they award, and what kind of stats they award it for? Just want to know whether it would be worth it to have them re-assess my application.

I am a Canadian student and government loans wont cover much of my tuition so any scholarship amount I could get would be be awesome. If anyone knows about other resources for scholarships, please let me know! I keep looking on studentawards.com but they seem to be targeted to high school students :(

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to get free money is always a good idea. There are VERY few Trustee awards given to incoming first years (think one or two) and not many outside scholarships awarded. How scholarships work at ICO is that you get awards based on your performance *in optometry school*, so your first opportunity for most awards is late in your first year. Again, though, they are few in number and they really don't cover a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Trying to get free money is always a good idea. There are VERY few Trustee awards given to incoming first years (think one or two) and not many outside scholarships awarded. How scholarships work at ICO is that you get awards based on your performance *in optometry school*, so your first opportunity for most awards is late in your first year. Again, though, they are few in number and they really don't cover a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for the reply! I thought it was the Presidential Scholarship that was only given out to 1-2 people, and that there were a few more Trustee Scholarships handed out? Or was it only 1-2 people for both of those scholarships? Haha hopefully my performance in optometry school will somehow be good enough :p

So frustrating that there aren't many outside private scholarships for optometry schools, or even professional and grad schools in general!

Thanks for the insight :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm a first year at ICO right now. One person (not me lol) received the Presidential scholarship. There was quite a few (10ish?) for minority students.

There were about 30-ish people who received the Trustee scholarship for my class, and one person for the Presidential. If you need the financial help, then I would say go ahead and get your application reassessed. Can't hurt, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Presidential Scholarship
A limited number of Presidential Scholarships, which cover 50 percent of the annual tuition, are awarded each year. Presidential Scholarships are competitive and are typically awarded early in the application cycle. Applicants should demonstrate outstanding academic performance at the undergraduate level and academic promise for a professional education, possess a minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher, an OAT score of 350 or higher, and exhibit the ability to contribute significantly to the ICO community and the optometric profession.

Trustees Scholarship
The Trustees Scholarship was established to encourage outstanding students to select ICO as their school of choice for professional education. The award amounts vary based on the available funds in a given year.

via ICO's website