ICO Vs IUSO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tidgey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I thought I was totally set on going to IUSO, but now I recently got accepted to ICO and questioning everything. The schools do seem to have almost a completely different experience so it is hard for me to choose. There doesn't seem to be many opinions on IUSO here also so any info on that will be helpful.

I am mostly focusing on Research Opportunities, Externship and Residency opportunities and a solid speciality contact lens education. Also anything about student life, Bloomington and Chicago will help too. If anyone can give me feedback on either IUSO or ICO on those subjects specifically it will greatly help with my final decision.

Members don't see this ad.

For me, I was thinking about applying to IUSO but still haven't because the school is more expensive and it's inconvenient to travel to and from there, since the nearest airport is in Indianapolis. ICO is one of the biggest, if not the biggest school, in terms of class size, which has its pros and cons (I can't remember how big IUSO's class size is). On the one hand, I think a larger student body means more opportunities to get involved in student life, and ICO has lots of student groups I'm interested in. But it also means the class is less family-like just because there are so many more people. ICO is my top choice mostly due to its location in Chicago. True, it's more on the south side of the city, which has a bad reputation, but I don't think that's a huge deal (plus chinatown is really close). I don't know much about public transportation in Bloomington, but it's decent in Chicago, which I also appreciate.

Reactions: 1 user
Aside from externship lists (which I can't imagine being vastly different in effectiveness between the schools), "Research Opportunities, Residency opportunities and a solid specialty contact lens education" are things that you will find very limited during your stay at a school as these are mostly post-graduate things:

1. Independent research will be likely extremely limited for a learning vision scientist and clinician. You can help out faculty doing clinical research but I'm sure you can do that at any school if you just ask the faculty if they have a job for you.
2. Residency opportunities are independent of what school you attend.
3. While you will get specialty contact education anywhere you go (ie 5 credit hours), you most likely won't get the field experience needed to become proficient unless you choose contact lens/cornea externships or residency. You can also just do post-grad continuing education (eg workshops)

In my opinion, the things you mentioned you are focusing on are not something I believe you will find a strong-point related to any school as their nature is mostly post-graduate (and thus not related to the school you attend) or are limited in scope to a student.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Aside from externship lists (which I can't imagine being vastly different in effectiveness between the schools), "Research Opportunities, Residency opportunities and a solid specialty contact lens education" are things that you will find very limited during your stay at a school as these are mostly post-graduate things:

1. Independent research will be likely extremely limited for a learning vision scientist and clinician. You can help out faculty doing clinical research but I'm sure you can do that at any school if you just ask the faculty if they have a job for you.
2. Residency opportunities are independent of what school you attend.
3. While you will get specialty contact education anywhere you go (ie 5 credit hours), you most likely won't get the field experience needed to become proficient unless you choose contact lens/cornea externships or residency. You can also just do post-grad continuing education.

In my opinion, the things you mentioned you are focusing on are not something I believe you will find a strong-point related to any school as their nature is mostly post-graduate (and thus not related to the school you attend) or are limited in scope to a student.

Hmm that is true. Thanks for the input. I guess I was looking at which school would provide with the best opportunity to complete those things. That puts things more into perspective. Thanks again!

First year at ICO here:

I'm not going to lie or exaggerate but I'm having the time of my life here at ICO. Having a big class hasn't been a big problem here. Yes, there's alot of people to meet and deal with but you end up finding your group of friends after awhile. Even though we are a huge class, we do have a family-like feeling. Everyone is always helping each other out and we're always there for each other. The class I'm in right is also very diverse and we have individuals from several different states and Canada. I've had a blast trying to learn what the Canadian provinces are on top of my studies. I'm also currently living in the Residential Complex so I pretty much live in the same building with 80% of my classmates. We're always there for each other when it comes to finding a study group, going out on Friday nights, finding new places to eat and explore the city of Chicago. There's so much to do here. You can never go wrong if you end up here! There are so many parks along Lake Michigan and we're even 1 mile away from the lake.

Also to clarify, ICO is "near" south side. If you keep walking more south, yes, you'll end up in the questionable parts of the city. Most of us never really venture down there so don't fret! Most places that you'll need to go to will take you up north and more into the city. We have 24/7 security patrol around our campus and we are also located to the Illinois Institute of Technology which also has their security patrolling around the area too. My advice to people would just be to be aware of your surroundings and don't flash any expensive things in plain view.

As for the academics side of ICO, the professors, classes, and labs here are top notch! Every professor and doctor I've encountered here has only made me feel more enthusiastic about my optometric education. Every professor has been very open and approachable to help us improve. I never really experienced this kind of welcoming environment in my undergrad so I'm enjoying this a lot. We always have a great time in our labs too since we're able to learn from so many students and doctors.

I don't own a car here so I do use the public transit and Uber frequently. I guess that would be my only negative thing but it hasn't bothered me too much yet. I really enjoy the public transit here since I can get to places without enduring the Chicago traffic but the commute time does add up.

I can go on and on about ICO so if you have any questions, I'm more than willing to answer!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi tidgey, I'm a second year at IU, and I'll throw in my two cents because I was in the same boat that you are in now. I took months to decide between MCO, ICO, and IUSO. I liked MCO for the in-state tuition, and I loved ICO for the city it's located in, but picking the "perfect" school wasn't just based on one aspect I liked most. Let me first talk about my research experience at IUSO, which I understand you are interested in, and then dive into student life (which I am very involved in).

I participated in the The Dean's Scholar program, an "intro to research" job that picks eight 1st year students and matches them with research labs over the summer in between 1st and 2nd year. You get paid +$5000 for the summer, and also take free research ethics and exploration classes that count towards your Master's (if you decide to pursue that route). I was matched with the contact lens lab, however I worked on my own project with the professor that runs the lab. After summer ended, I was hired in as an employee and continued the research. I presented a powerpoint presentation and a poster at the American Academy of Optometry meeting in New Orleans this Fall! Being able to gain that experience talking about your project with your peers and other doctors was one of the most rewarding experiences I've had so far at IU. It's hard to explain the feeling; it's very gratifying, and a great learning opportunity. If you chose IU, I highly recommend either looking into getting a job in a lab the summer before you start, or applying for this program. Each of us had different experiences. One of my best friends was also accepted into the program, and is now doing concussion research with the IU football and other sports teams. Also, I would like to say that we participate in other students' and doctors' studies and get paid handsomely :)

Now onto student life. Hands down, this might be the deciding reason why I went to IU. Coming from a smaller college (don't get me wrong I had an amazing 4 years there) I wanted to go to an environment where I could be limitless, and have great people to enjoy school with. The overall attitude of the student body at IU is perfect for me: work hard, but also stay healthy and have some fun too. I also wanted to go to a big school with a diverse population and lots of school pride. Another reason I liked IU is that I could live in a house, cook my own food, have people over, etc. If you are looking to be involved in clubs, we have the same ones every school has, but I believe our class size of 70-80 is an advantage. Almost everyone participates, so we have great turnout to fundraisers, get-togethers, and meetings, but are clubs aren't so big that it is impossible to compete for either a leadership position or a travel grant. I travel to the Academy meeting every year, two trips for the American Optometric Student Association, and will be traveling to Jamaica for VOSH in a few weeks. It's amazing that I am able to see cities I've never been to, and get financial aid to do it! The clubs, especially IUOSA, throws get togethers and parties like every other school does, but one unique thing that I love here is the tailgates. People from all classes come out either before the game or as a study break. I personally go to the football games and basketball games. The energy leading up to the games is incredible! You can feel it throughout Bloomington. The campus is beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous. I often compare it to Hogwarts. I love being outside and being able to walk around to wherever I need to go. Park, friend's house, school, library, starbucks, restaurants, bars? They are all within walking distance, and it doesn't matter if it is 3PM or 3AM, I feel comfortable walking home. The only places I drive to are the gym and the grocery store. If you don't like walking, there are two free bus systems that run through campus and Bloomington, and many apartment complexes have shuttle systems that drop off near the school. The gym is great. The first time I saw the IU pool, I drooled. I love the free exercise classes (there are many) and you can go whenever you want. Many of my classmates go to the gym, so we normally go in groups. We also mingle with other schools at IU. We play flag football with the law school and in third year, do eye exams with the med students. The Jacobs School of Music is a very well known school, so all operas, plays, ballets, etc are world class, at a cheap student price. There are also many festivals in Bloomington that we can wander into.

Now that we talked about the fun stuff, it's time to talk about academic responsibility. Other schools have this policy too, but IU makes you keep a certain GPA to be able to take boards. Everyone here helps each other. Our facebook page is usually flowing with study guides and flashcards people have made. No one gets left behind, and I always feel comfortable posting on facebook if I need someone to practice with. We have all found our study spots, and regularly study together since we live close to each other. We get a "big sib" our first year who passes down all study materials they made and guides us through first year. We practice clinic skills in the lab until second year competency. After seeing my pharm school boyfriend get his white coat during his first two weeks of school and then seeing some of his classmates fail out, I appreciated IU's white coat policy of waiting until the end of second year. Yes, it's a long wait, but IU tests you on all clinic skills to make sure you are competent enough to perform full eye exams on patients on your own. Halfway through my first semester of second year, I already know the skills I will need to perform on my competency test. There are many scholarships for good grades too. The staff here are so friendly. I can go into Cindy or Joe's office and get advice about classes, tutors, and life in general. Many professors are also interested in how you are doing, and want to help.

I chose IU because of a gut feeling. I love that I am friends with everyone, and I still get to meet new people. I love that a life outside of studying is encouraged, and yet you are still respected if you don't want to join in. I felt like I have accomplished so much as a person and a student and it is only my second year. If I could go back in time, I would pick IU again, even considering the pros of other schools and the cons of IU. There are good things and bad things about each school (I obsessed over them), but you have to go with what you feel is right for you. Talking to people from each school from the time I was accepted until the time I decided really helped me, let me know if you have any questions. Good Luck!

Reactions: 7 users
nice poster:

Although visual acuity is paramount for lifeguards, 77% of facility managers said they don’t know their lifeguards’ vision and correction status, according to Katherine Rachon, a student at Indiana University School of Optometry. While 42% of lifeguards said they typically wear vision correction, only 30% do so while on duty, suggesting a need for improved vision standards.
Source: “Can Aquatic Lifeguards See to Protect the Public?”

Hi tidgey, I'm a second year at IU, and I'll throw in my two cents because I was in the same boat that you are in now. I took months to decide between MCO, ICO, and IUSO. I liked MCO for the in-state tuition, and I loved ICO for the city it's located in, but picking the "perfect" school wasn't just based on one aspect I liked most. Let me first talk about my research experience at IUSO, which I understand you are interested in, and then dive into student life (which I am very involved in).

I participated in the The Dean's Scholar program, an "intro to research" job that picks eight 1st year students and matches them with research labs over the summer in between 1st and 2nd year. You get paid +$5000 for the summer, and also take free research ethics and exploration classes that count towards your Master's (if you decide to pursue that route). I was matched with the contact lens lab, however I worked on my own project with the professor that runs the lab. After summer ended, I was hired in as an employee and continued the research. I presented a powerpoint presentation and a poster at the American Academy of Optometry meeting in New Orleans this Fall! Being able to gain that experience talking about your project with your peers and other doctors was one of the most rewarding experiences I've had so far at IU. It's hard to explain the feeling; it's very gratifying, and a great learning opportunity. If you chose IU, I highly recommend either looking into getting a job in a lab the summer before you start, or applying for this program. Each of us had different experiences. One of my best friends was also accepted into the program, and is now doing concussion research with the IU football and other sports teams. Also, I would like to say that we participate in other students' and doctors' studies and get paid handsomely :)

Now onto student life. Hands down, this might be the deciding reason why I went to IU. Coming from a smaller college (don't get me wrong I had an amazing 4 years there) I wanted to go to an environment where I could be limitless, and have great people to enjoy school with. The overall attitude of the student body at IU is perfect for me: work hard, but also stay healthy and have some fun too. I also wanted to go to a big school with a diverse population and lots of school pride. Another reason I liked IU is that I could live in a house, cook my own food, have people over, etc. If you are looking to be involved in clubs, we have the same ones every school has, but I believe our class size of 70-80 is an advantage. Almost everyone participates, so we have great turnout to fundraisers, get-togethers, and meetings, but are clubs aren't so big that it is impossible to compete for either a leadership position or a travel grant. I travel to the Academy meeting every year, two trips for the American Optometric Student Association, and will be traveling to Jamaica for VOSH in a few weeks. It's amazing that I am able to see cities I've never been to, and get financial aid to do it! The clubs, especially IUOSA, throws get togethers and parties like every other school does, but one unique thing that I love here is the tailgates. People from all classes come out either before the game or as a study break. I personally go to the football games and basketball games. The energy leading up to the games is incredible! You can feel it throughout Bloomington. The campus is beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous. I often compare it to Hogwarts. I love being outside and being able to walk around to wherever I need to go. Park, friend's house, school, library, starbucks, restaurants, bars? They are all within walking distance, and it doesn't matter if it is 3PM or 3AM, I feel comfortable walking home. The only places I drive to are the gym and the grocery store. If you don't like walking, there are two free bus systems that run through campus and Bloomington, and many apartment complexes have shuttle systems that drop off near the school. The gym is great. The first time I saw the IU pool, I drooled. I love the free exercise classes (there are many) and you can go whenever you want. Many of my classmates go to the gym, so we normally go in groups. We also mingle with other schools at IU. We play flag football with the law school and in third year, do eye exams with the med students. The Jacobs School of Music is a very well known school, so all operas, plays, ballets, etc are world class, at a cheap student price. There are also many festivals in Bloomington that we can wander into.

Now that we talked about the fun stuff, it's time to talk about academic responsibility. Other schools have this policy too, but IU makes you keep a certain GPA to be able to take boards. Everyone here helps each other. Our facebook page is usually flowing with study guides and flashcards people have made. No one gets left behind, and I always feel comfortable posting on facebook if I need someone to practice with. We have all found our study spots, and regularly study together since we live close to each other. We get a "big sib" our first year who passes down all study materials they made and guides us through first year. We practice clinic skills in the lab until second year competency. After seeing my pharm school boyfriend get his white coat during his first two weeks of school and then seeing some of his classmates fail out, I appreciated IU's white coat policy of waiting until the end of second year. Yes, it's a long wait, but IU tests you on all clinic skills to make sure you are competent enough to perform full eye exams on patients on your own. Halfway through my first semester of second year, I already know the skills I will need to perform on my competency test. There are many scholarships for good grades too. The staff here are so friendly. I can go into Cindy or Joe's office and get advice about classes, tutors, and life in general. Many professors are also interested in how you are doing, and want to help.

I chose IU because of a gut feeling. I love that I am friends with everyone, and I still get to meet new people. I love that a life outside of studying is encouraged, and yet you are still respected if you don't want to join in. I felt like I have accomplished so much as a person and a student and it is only my second year. If I could go back in time, I would pick IU again, even considering the pros of other schools and the cons of IU. There are good things and bad things about each school (I obsessed over them), but you have to go with what you feel is right for you. Talking to people from each school from the time I was accepted until the time I decided really helped me, let me know if you have any questions. Good Luck!

I've been stuck choosing between IU, NECO and NOVA, and i think reading this just made my decision for me. Thanks for all the help!!! :)