ICO vs. SCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roadrunner158

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been accepted to both ICO and SCO and have to make a decision between the 2 within the next 3 weeks. I am working on an excel spreadsheet of comparing the 2 schools, as well as pros and cons about living in Chicago and Memphis.

Anything I can add to the document to compare these 2 schools or cities would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

SCO just built a brand new classroom, if that matters to you. I would also guess that Memphis has cheaper housing options than Chicago. SCO's Eye Center is pretty cool as well. I don't know anything about ICO..

What are the different parts on your spreadsheet? I'm assuming you've seen both schools.

Specific questions would be a lot easier to answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never visited Chicago, but I'm a happy SCO student. The Eye Center is definitely the main attraction. Very diverse patient base with a lot of diabetes and glaucoma. You will see a lot of disease here. Outstanding pre clinic labs, brand new classroom and study areas are icing on the cake.
Memphis is high crime, but the school really helps you in choosing good housing locations. I live outside the city in a surrounding town, which is still only 20 minutes from campus. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

I'll be graduating from SCO in a month and I loved my time at that school. I was a spoiled California girl who moved to Memphis because I wanted the education. Yeah, the crime statistics are high, but if you're smart about keeping your valuables out of your car and locking your doors, you'll be just fine. It's all very common sense stuff. I have never felt unsafe, even when walking to my car alone downtown at night.

The education is great. The disease factor is definitely there, but we're also one of the best schools for pediatrics and binocular vision/VT. Our instructors are awesome - each of them care so much about you doing well in school. Tons of extra-curricular activities to participate in and the class size is just right (130 now, I believe). I strongly recommend it and if you have any questions about the progression of 1st through 4th year, I'm happy to give you my perspective through PM. Good luck making your decisions!

I'm a first year at ICO and am very happy with the education I'm receiving. If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me.