Icu Book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drnunia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am not got going to be able to do a ICU rotation during my 4th year and was wondering if any one has any recommendations for some ICU books that can give me a good background and can be used as a good referance book during my intern year rotation that I can begin to look at while i have some time off? Thanks for your help.:)

Members don't see this ad.

There is really only one...Marino's "The ICU Book." It's a suprisingly easy read...not the go-to book when the poop's hitting the vent but perfect for getting an idea of what you have in store for you and to get the bread and butter stuff in your mind. Things change quickly enough in the CCM world that, unless you can get the last (2nd) version for free, I would pony up for the newest one (3rd edition). If you just need a quick, handy reference, some of my colleagues swear by the Tarascon's CC pocketbook.

Having said all that, I started the year in the MICU w/ no ICU rotation as a student and no pre-reading and managed to survive and even treat patients appropriately. Reading ahead of time might have been a good idea but not doing it wasn't the end of the world. As with everything in medicine, I read about the patients I was treating @ the time and it all stuck a little better.

Good luck.

Lanken's ICU Manual (orange cover) very good as well - Marino is the sole author of his book and therefore, his book is his opinion (I use it every time I work in the unit - dont get me wrong), but the Lanken book is written by dozens of ICU personnel