ID vs. Rheum vs. Allergy and Immunology??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain what exactly the difference will be with these specialties? For example what kind of Immuno would a Rheumatologist see/treat vs an A & I or and ID (who to my understanding sees a lot of HIV/AIDS)

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone explain what exactly the difference will be with these specialties? For example what kind of Immuno would a Rheumatologist see/treat vs an A & I or and ID (who to my understanding sees a lot of HIV/AIDS)
Rheumatology and allergy/immunology are relatively closely related, and are actually part of the same department in many institutions. While allergy and immunology sees immunodeficiencies, rheumatology would see autoimmune diseases such as lupus, scleroderma, vasculitis, rheumatoid, etc.
ID deals with immunology only when it is pertinent to infections, but that's far from being the bulk of their practice.

Reactions: 1 user
Also A/I training allows you to see both pediatric and adult patients (at least in sub-specialty private practice setting; in academia it can be different) no matter what your prior residency was, so if you like taking care of both kids and adults, A/I is the way to go!

Reactions: 1 user