ideal pain practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neutro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the best practice model for interventional pain physicians these days?
what are some of the pros and cons of employed vs. independent vs. group vs.hospital based practice
Is it really possible to have a complete interventional ONLY practice working solo/independent?
Is is really worth doing procedures at an ASC vs. your own fluoroscope in clinic with your own staff with less overhead.

Members don't see this ad.

seeing the amazing response, perhaps i need to shed some light here :)
me: new attending. anesthesia trained. pain fellowship trained. finished training in summer of 2015. was in PP for 7 months (was employed by them) but didnt like it, took a hospital job...much happier. still ups and downs like tremendous beuracracy, inefficiencies, fighting for fluoro time, types of patients and case load since FP/PCP are ridiculous and wont even examine the patient or evaluate or order basic imaging for work ups. >50% of my population is medicaid. im the only pain doc catering to 20 pcps, spine surgeons, a huge cancer department...plus i do anesthesia 1 day a week.
it is busy, but so far so good.
its a 2 year contract. basically my goal is to get my procedures in and slowly build my skill then go independent in an area where i will settle.

i have realized i really want my independent practice. its not so much about the money - its the fact that i want my own brand. i want to primarily do cancer pain, spinal pain and possibly addiction medicine (not suboxone) - essentially multidisciplinary with emphasis on things i like. plus possible ketamine infusions, CBT, etc. all under one roof. i think having a neurologist in my practice will be useful, they can do EMGs and offer neurological view point...maybe my own imaging center..not a big fan of ASC since more staff = more headache. ofcourse fluoro/ RFA stuff.. i am not sure what is the limit - seems limitless given the huge shortage of quality pain docs and PCPs not wanting to manage pain.

not a big fan of PA's as i like to do everything myself. atleast initially. i will obviously need MA's. so i probably will cap out at 700-1000 patients total...esp. if i have them on opiates, and if they meet the criteria for long term opiate therapy for chronic non malignant pain...

a practice of that nature is my dream.

i have been researching all this very heavily. they say one should start preparing 18-20 months before.

what can i do at this time?
is this kind of a practice sustainable? what are the start up costs of this practice? will it be profitable? if i am seeing 20 patients in clinic and doing 10 procedures a day? (bread and butter stuff).
how do i get the patient volume in? i mean high quality patients.
Do i get them from providing inpatient pain consults or staffing the ER? (someone mentioned this to me, but i cant imagine the quality of ER pain patients being very good).

advice welcome. if you can share any stories and resources, that will be helpful

I'm in a physician owned multi specially group. We're about 25 doctors and 15 PAs, mostly primary care, a few IM subspecialties and I'm the only Pain guy. The CEO is a doc. The board of directors are all practicing docs (I'm one of 5 on board) and we all function as separate practices on our own budget and get to make our own hours and practice rules on most things that matter. You can make or as much or as little money as you generate (or don't). We're not hospital employees. We're a group big enough to survive in today's crazy competitive market, but small enough not to feel you work for a hospital equivalent. At the same time, we're not so small to struggle with mandates like meaningful use, EHR and other such Obamacare BS that we'd struggle to deal with if a group of only a few doctors. I feel like it's pretty close to ideal, in the current healthcare climate. I'm not sure how many jobs like this are left out there. Probably not many.