Ideas for a medical student interest group?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted682584

Yes, yes, I know this is rather a rough crowd, but I wonder if anyone has suggestions for activities/talks for a pathology student interest group. This is at an established mid-tier public institution that both emphasizes primary care and also has a great deal of basic science research funding.

So far, we've been tossing around...

General "intro to pathology" lunch talk
Forensics lunch talk (bon appétit!)
Workshops geared to the organ of the month (pathologist brings in uteri at the appropriate time, kidneys in their season)
State of the job market, from our residents/fellows
Histology review session
Plain ordinary mixer

So I'd be curious to hear any thoughts you may have. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe have a program director come and talk about different career paths in pathology and how students can work towards becoming a strong residency candidates.

How about a talk about the JOB MARKET! and about how program directors are plotting to create an army of pathology zombie orcs to profit off and how once they are done they will take the best and make them instructors working 52 out of 52 for free meals at the hospital cafeteria and take the rest and euthanize them and then feed them to the next wave of trainees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, yes, I know this is rather a rough crowd, but I wonder if anyone has suggestions for activities/talks for a pathology student interest group. This is at an established mid-tier public institution that both emphasizes primary care and also has a great deal of basic science research funding.

So far, we've been tossing around...

General "intro to pathology" lunch talk
Forensics lunch talk (bon appétit!)
Workshops geared to the organ of the month (pathologist brings in uteri at the appropriate time, kidneys in their season)
State of the job market, from our residents/fellows
Histology review session
Plain ordinary mixer

So I'd be curious to hear any thoughts you may have. Thank you!
May I suggest a series of: "A day in the life of..." different types of pathologists: community-based generalist, academic (which could have lots of sub-types), specialized lab (ie, someone who looks at tray after trey of prostate biopsies), forensic pathologist, blood banker, etc. I think med students don't have a grasp of what actual daily work entails, and knowing that would be helpful in deciding if a career in pathology is something they'd enjoy.

Reactions: 1 user
I think have a pathologist who sees patients sometimes or interacts with other specialties regularly (like transfusion/BB) come talk. Sometimes students don't know that is an option in pathology and think it is all AP. I had no idea until I sought it out myself.

Wow I just want to say this. The pathology program at our school has trouble filling, as it should. That means that the pathology program tries to recruit gullible med students full force. Some specialties never have an interest meeting ( ortho, optho), Pathology has an interest meeting group every week with people doing their 3rd,4th,5th! fellowship telling us how great pathology is. And if a student ask about the job market ( some med students are aware and just there for the free pizza) they look them directly in the eye and lie. I could never do something like that, its disgraceful. I know there people want their program to fill so that they can have the cheap labor, but don't try to ruin a kids future.

4th fellowship? 5th fellowship? I have never heard of anyone doing this many, much less known anyone who has done that. I don't even know anyone who has done 3, though I know those people are out there.

I too am skeptical about someone on a 5th fellowship.

That said, anyone who lies to med students, that's not cool. I always try to be as honest as I can.