Ideas for gaining clinical exposure-less than ideal circumstances (Help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mammalspod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a 37 year old recent under-graduate who is struggling to find ways to gain clinical experience to enhance my forthcoming applications to medical schools. I work 6 days a week and do not have a car. I live in central Denver. My schedule will not permit me to get a second job. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I am not against volunteering once a week at a nearby clinic or hospital (there are many), but will I be able to gain any noteworthy experience? Am I doomed to just fish around for any shadowing programs I can find?

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing and clinical volunteering are two different things.

If there are many venues around for you to volunteer at, I don't really see the problem. Whether an experience is noteworthy or not isn't dependent on the place, it's dependent on you. Someone can volunteer at a tiny clinic on the corner and have their life changed by it; someone else can volunteer at the most prestigious hospital in the country and learn absolutely nothing from it. Find a place that's doing work that's meaningful to you.