Ideas for retrospective chart review research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahblah56

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3 so I know there's still a ways to go before even thinking about GI fellowships but I figure I can start showing that I have an interest while still in medical school. However, I'm rotating at a community hospital where research isn't really emphasized. We have one GI attending who is really busy and doesn't really have much going on in terms of research, so I was hoping I could pitch him a few ideas and see where it goes from there. I was hoping to get some suggestions on here regarding ideas for possible chart review projects. I am particularly interested in the hepatobiliary system but open to anything. Any input you guys can offer would be great appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS3 so I know there's still a ways to go before even thinking about GI fellowships but I figure I can start showing that I have an interest while still in medical school. However, I'm rotating at a community hospital where research isn't really emphasized. We have one GI attending who is really busy and doesn't really have much going on in terms of research, so I was hoping I could pitch him a few ideas and see where it goes from there. I was hoping to get some suggestions on here regarding ideas for possible chart review projects. I am particularly interested in the hepatobiliary system but open to anything. Any input you guys can offer would be great appreciated

It doesnt sound like you will get anything productive from it. really busy GI attending with almost nothing going on in terms of research. look for a different PI. Look for a fellow to help you out ... they may have projects already started or have ideas. If you havent done any research at all ... I doubt the mentioned attending will have time to show you how to navigate through the IRB process.

Well there isn't great data out there on the optimal time antiplatelet agents should be held after high risk endoscopic procedures. GL with that :p. Could be an interesting project idea if you can design it

Clinical attending at a community hospital = wrong mentor for research. Even if he claims to be interested, he won't be savvy, won't be a name that gets published automatically and will probably lose interest.

And sorry, my research ideas are for my peeps.

Here is your problem though? Why dont you research and publish on your own. Your attending can provide you with medical knowledge only but beyond that the research design is all you. And thats just biostats, are you ok with that stuff? You might find that someone who does basic science is more knowledgable in that area.

But here is the thing though, the idea has to come from you!!!! If you pick something that someone else says "this is a good project for you" STAY AWAY ok, find your own thing first and go from there.