All Branch Topic (ABT) IDMT selected for EMDP2, questions about USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDMT-2-MD

Emergency Medicine Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently an active duty IDMT (independent duty medical technician). I was very fortunate to be one of 5 AF members selected for the inaugural EMDP2 (enlisted to medical degree preparatory program). Basically, USUHS is partening with George Mason university for two years to have us complete all required pre-med courses and have focused MCAT prep, and then apply to usuhs/hpsp. This program is only available to enlisted active duty in any AFSC.

I have been active duty for almost 10 years and have wanted to become a physician for quite some time now. Having been accepted to this program, I can start to see my dreams come true. I know there are tons of threads about USUHS, military residency, and related topics. However, my situation is rather unique and I would greatly appreciate some insight from others who have greater knowledge on the subject.

I have signed an active duty service commitment that I will owe back 7-10 years after med school (7 for USUHS/4 for hpsp + 3 years owed back for 2 years pre-med). If accepted to med school at USUHS I will more than likely go seeing as I have already been serving and I love it, not to mention I will have 16 years active duty by then. By the way I just turned 31 a couple months ago. Does anyone out there have an inkling on my chances of going straight into residency after USUHS contingent on my grades/letters of rec, etc. By the time I apply for a specialty I will have 16 years time in service. I am completely happy knowing I will end up doing close to 30 years and I will only be 51 years old by then (not to mention an MD).

If there are any prior service folks that went to USUHS I would appreciate your input on how your experience was and how your residency match went.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
If you make it to USUHS your chance of going straight into internship afterwards is 100%. It may take a GMO tour to be in ortho or derm or ER or Rads etc. If you want to do internal medicine
or pediatrics (and some others) your chances of going straight through are 100%. Assuming you don't have red flags like flunking step I, recycle a year, DUI etc.

How long are GMO tours typically?

Members don't see this ad :)
At the risk of stating the obvious, be aware that the 10 year commitment for USUHS and the premed program doesn't include time spent at USUHS or the premed program or internship or residency. So from the time you start this path you're looking at 20-24 years of additional obligated service. That's a long time.

That's why I'm asking about my chances of going straight to residency to avoid that. Besides, 20 years from now I'll have 30 years in service and they'll have to retire me.

That's why I'm asking about my chances of going straight to residency to avoid that. Besides, 20 years from now I'll have 30 years in service and they'll have to retire me.

There but for the grace of God...

Seriously, I'd be real cautious about making this long-term assumption if I were you. That same kind of assuredness was once held about "free health care for life when I retire."

My father, who retired as an O-5 with 30 years, gave me two invaluable pieces of advice when I applied for my ROTC scholarship so many years ago: "All recruiters lie," and "The 'needs of the Army' will ALWAYS come first." In the 20 years since I was first commissioned, I've experienced no evidence to the contrary.

Best of luck!

Hello all, I am currently an active duty IDMT (independent duty medical technician). I was very fortunate to be one of 5 AF members selected for the inaugural EMDP2 (enlisted to medical degree preparatory program). Basically, USUHS is partening with George Mason university for two years to have us complete all required pre-med courses and have focused MCAT prep, and then apply to usuhs/hpsp. This program is only available to enlisted active duty in any AFSC.

I have been active duty for almost 10 years and have wanted to become a physician for quite some time now. Having been accepted to this program, I can start to see my dreams come true. I know there are tons of threads about USUHS, military residency, and related topics. However, my situation is rather unique and I would greatly appreciate some insight from others who have greater knowledge on the subject.

I have signed an active duty service commitment that I will owe back 7-10 years after med school (7 for USUHS/4 for hpsp + 3 years owed back for 2 years pre-med). If accepted to med school at USUHS I will more than likely go seeing as I have already been serving and I love it, not to mention I will have 16 years active duty by then. By the way I just turned 31 a couple months ago. Does anyone out there have an inkling on my chances of going straight into residency after USUHS contingent on my grades/letters of rec, etc. By the time I apply for a specialty I will have 16 years time in service. I am completely happy knowing I will end up doing close to 30 years and I will only be 51 years old by then (not to mention an MD).

If there are any prior service folks that went to USUHS I would appreciate your input on how your experience was and how your residency match went.

First of all, Congratulations!

Second, do you mind if I inquire about your qualifications? I am currently an AD SSgt in a non-medical career field. I don't have a bachelors yet but I am very interested in this program and was wondering how badly an online degree would hinder my application. Do you have any advice for future applicants (volunteer bullets etc)?

Thanks!

Congrats on make the program. I am an IDC for the Navy that is looking to apply in 2016 and would like to segway on Kimimonster's post to get more information on your application process as the Navy does not have them available at this time (i.e. guidance for package required for application, things that help to make a good candidate, the process involved, ect.) I am in a similar situation as you, 31 years old with 11 years in this December but like I mentioned not planning on putting in a package for another year as my degree is not complete. I have been special operations my entire military carrier as a Navy Diver Medic and in the past 3 years as an IDC. If you or anyone else reading this can provide any insight to the USUHS program it will be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on this major achievement, must be a great honor!

I am looking at applying for this program myself in future years as I am just getting enlisted into the USAF. I currently have a bachelor degree with a 3.255 CGPA, I spoke with a recruiter in my area, but he doesnt know much about the EMPD2 Program. I have not even committed yet, so I'm quite aware i've got quite some time in my hands, but I believe going in with this information will bolster my competitiveness and my attitude. I am also yet to decide on an AFSC , but im looking at anything medically related.

If you don't mind, will you be willing to share more light and mentor me on things I need to start doing now to stay competitive, I understand I will need at least 3 years Active duty commitment , 3.2 GPA etc , I am 26 now so hopefully by 30 I should have the 3 years Active duty commitment.

I will really appreciate any advice, words of wisdom or guidelines. I can also send you a direct message if its not a problem. Thanks!

Congratulations on this major achievement, must be a great honor!

I am looking at applying for this program myself in future years as I am just getting enlisted into the USAF. I currently have a bachelor degree with a 3.255 CGPA, I spoke with a recruiter in my area, but he doesnt know much about the EMPD2 Program. I have not even committed yet, so I'm quite aware i've got quite some time in my hands, but I believe going in with this information will bolster my competitiveness and my attitude. I am also yet to decide on an AFSC , but im looking at anything medically related.

If you don't mind, will you be willing to share more light and mentor me on things I need to start doing now to stay competitive, I understand I will need at least 3 years Active duty commitment , 3.2 GPA etc , I am 26 now so hopefully by 30 I should have the 3 years Active duty commitment.

I will really appreciate any advice, words of wisdom or guidelines. I can also send you a direct message if its not a problem. Thanks!

Contact USUHS directly, probably their admissions office. This program is so small I doubt any recruiter will have an inkling on what is going on. Goodluck!

Contact USUHS directly, probably their admissions office. This program is so small I doubt any recruiter will have an inkling on what is going on. Goodluck!
Thanks, I was actually looking for a more personal review from an insider with specifics ,but I will do that too. I appreciate it.

For the Army, all selected people are E-5 or above. The same goes for the Navy. For the Air Force, all selected people are E-4 or above.

I imagine that you need at least a 3.2 cgpa to be competitive considering the cutoff for hpsp. Obviously, the higher your cgpa, the better your chances to this program.

Awards probably matter depending on the people on adcom. However, the number one priority is to select candidates that have potential to get accepted and finish med school. Your PT score probably won't matter jack as long as you pass.

Search emdp on youtube. You will get a feel for the selected candidates from each branch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Additionally, PM me if you have any questions. I am in the first cohort and will be starting med school next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Additionally, PM me if you have any questions. I am in the first cohort and will be starting med school next year.

I know this thread is a bit retro, but first of all, congrats! I am in the Navy and I submitted an application package a few months ago. Should be hearing the results for the Navy's EMDP2 selection any day now. Fingers crossed. Just curious, I know you are in a different branch, but when did you PCS to the East Coast for the program? Do the classes start in August at GMU? PCS in July? Thanks in advance!

I know this thread is a bit retro, but first of all, congrats! I am in the Navy and I submitted an application package a few months ago. Should be hearing the results for the Navy's EMDP2 selection any day now. Fingers crossed. Just curious, I know you are in a different branch, but when did you PCS to the East Coast for the program? Do the classes start in August at GMU? PCS in July? Thanks in advance!

Hi CTI, good luck on your app. I PCS'd in July and we started school late August. Hope this helps! PM me if you have anymore questions.

Hi CTI, good luck on your app. I PCS'd in July and we started school late August. Hope this helps! PM me if you have anymore questions.
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely hit you up with a question or two if I get selected. Take care!