If an adcom Googled "your name your university", what would they see?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

123abcforme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just thought I'd play something fun with all the people doing their secondaries and potentially fretting over who they were as people?

So yeah if the adcom Googled "your name your uni" or just "your name", what would they see? For me, it turns up a poster presentation, my Instagram, and ECs

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing. I'm invisible.

You didn't see anything

Reactions: 1 users
they would see all the other people who went there who have the same name

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
It depends on how they search my name. One version shows the fb page of one of my student organizations and a quote in the student newspaper. The quote puts me in a positive light so I wouldn't mind if they saw it lol. Another version shows more newspaper quotes and some youtube videos from my dance performances.

Just newspaper articles I wrote.

Research group, linkedin, poster presentation, paper on trip abroad

A lot of random stuff, including a blog for a course I was in (we were required to write entries/comments throughout the semester as part of our participation grade) and an online version of my class directory. And weirdly, a newspaper article about an award I won at 6 years old that just happened to also have the name of my school in it.

A few news articles that detail every person who made dean's list for every semester..

Reactions: 1 user
My linkdin, publications, an article I wrote for a club, other club websites

Members don't see this ad :)
Random pages about my undergraduate research, and a post I made on facebook on a school page! I didn't even know some of these existed!

My freshman year, I let my old high school do some bio of me on their website that in retrospect is incredibly embarrassing and lame. Complete with a 10 year old pic of me as a freshman. This is what comes up for me. I hate it. (My grad school name garners less embarrassing results)

My LinkedIn, My facebook, an article about my SAT score, an article on research I did in high school, and the abstract on neurology.com for a paper of which I am the second author.

EDIT: did not realize this was for people doing secondaries LOL I'm a rising junior, but thought this would be fun!

Best of luck to you guys!

college awards
(research) lab group website

I just thought I'd play something fun with all the people doing their secondaries and potentially fretting over who they were as people?

So yeah if the adcom Googled "your name your uni" or just "your name", what would they see? For me, it turns up a poster presentation, my Instagram, and ECs

I wrote one article for the school newspaper before quitting. I also was one of many signers on a proposed bill submitted to the student government. That's it.

my twitter, my linkedin, my facebook fan page, my hip-hop videos, my website, an article written about me. i hope they search me.

The first result for me pulled up a mugshot for someone with my same name who lives across the country lol.

The first result for me pulled up a mugshot for someone with my same name who lives across the country lol.

Ouch. Thankfully the worst a person with my name has done is...be a modestly successful actor.

Wow, there are things. Here I was thinking I was hitman levels of incognito... There's some stuff from being on the Dean's list multiple times, an old pic of me in respiratory school (OMG I WAS HOMELESS LEVELS OF THIN) and that's it. Holy craaap!

Reactions: 3 users
Nothing scandalous, thank goodness.

I'd be more concern if I had a very common name amongst serial killers or something.

my awful e-portfolio/website I had to make for a class. At least they'll delete it once I graduate, hopefully...

My contribution of fire to humanity, something about eagles eating my liver--an institutional action from Mt. Olympus, hope that isn't too big a red flag...

and some Ridley Scott flick?

I hope they do! I look like a saint! Philanthropy, volunteering, academic honors. Hope they all do.
Nicknames find bad YouTube vidoes.

Linked in profile of different person with same name (someone much more impressive lololol). Then my own linked in profile.

Two ECs and then a random article about an Australian getting rescued from an avalanche o_O

Better than my name alone. Apparently tons of people with my name overdose on drugs as teenagers, dunno why. :shifty:

Social media. ResearchGate. School affiliations. Page 2 professional e-Sports.

Research and a scholarship. Nothing else. I honestly worry about this a lot and always am trying to control it.
More so than needed and turns into time wasted, but I read an article that said something like 66% of them use google.
about 15% found something they used to deny interviews. Or something like that.

Research and a scholarship. Nothing else. I honestly worry about this a lot and always am trying to control it.
More so than needed and turns into time wasted, but I read an article that said something like 66% of them use google.
about 15% found something they used to deny interviews. Or something like that.
What do you do that would be so awful you'd be denied admission? You're probably fine.

You guys must have very unique names or something. My name must be too generic, I've got the usual mugshot, random people and their accomplishments.

My name is pretty unique. It shows my Facebook and one of the events I volunteered for several years

You guys must have very unique names or something. My name must be too generic, I've got the usual mugshot, random people and their accomplishments.
When you include your school name?
My school was small, so it's mostly just me. When I just do my name, without my college, I get NOTHING on myself.

A picture of me riding a Siberian Tiger. Things got out of control during my undergrad abroad trip.

For Michigan's Secondary:
'Most people don't know that I can: Talk to animals'

A neurosurgeon's profile on a university webpage and then me in my premed club.

A club I was part of, a publication.
And also someone with the same name on Facebook...but their middle name is Butt. Sigh.

LinkedIn, deans list announcements, announcements from the biology department about finishing my graduate degree, link to pictures of me doing community service with fraternity brothers.

A random blogpost
Outstanding tutors award (first I heard of this!)
And some random awards all the way back through Junior High

Then stuff from another person with my name - and it isn't good...

I hope if they look me up they just use my name and hometown- much better.

LinkedIn, publication links, poster links, ResearchGate, Alumni updates from HS and college, etc And a lot about a someone who I share a last name with- all good stuff.

My name is pretty common, but not in the Western Hemisphere.

Facebook, twitter, linkedIN, deans list and actually an article that I am featured in for my school in 2013 that supports one of my strongest AMCAS activities I listed...That I had no idea about until I just googled my name and my school...LOL.

Last edited:
Wow, I always thought my name was too generic to google, but I actually got some cool results with my university included. Some blog posts I wrote as a student ambassador for my college, the Twitter I made for that same role, Facebook posts/pages about one of my main ECs in college, my Linkedin, aaand my Instagram. It's almost creepy what people can find out about me, but I have nothing to hide.

When I type my full name on google and hit enter, I get no results but just one link to an old friend's twitter who was asking everyone if I passed away or not.

Reactions: 2 users