About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

If I am accused of academic dishonesty can I still get into Med School?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by sameric, Jun 19, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. sameric

sameric

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Please don't hate on me. It was a stupid mistake.:(

What are my chances? Am I screwed for life?
  2. TheMightySmiter

TheMightySmiter

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It depends on the situation, but I'd say there's a good chance you are screwed. :( Can't say for sure without knowing exactly what happened. Any record of academic dishonesty does NOT look good, though.
  3. music2doc

music2doc Student of Mad Doctoring

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The details are important. That said, the answer is usually yes. Academic dishonesty is taken very seriously at the university level, as it should be, and if your conduct was serious enough so as to be reported to the institution, then yes, your chances are probably pretty shot. OTOH, if your prof decides to give you a 0 and move on (i.e., not report it) you would likely still be okay as this would not be an IA (at my school anyway).
  4. theWUbear

theWUbear MS0

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Also depends on whether your app will be near perfect otherwise, and how close to applying you are (i.e. would be best if you're a freshman vs. a junior about to apply). You can always go to SGU and just have a tougher time matching into high end specialties. Inb4 carribean flame war
  5. V5RED

V5RED MS-1

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  6. sameric

sameric

Idk what to do
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  7. TheMightySmiter

TheMightySmiter

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Really? Huh. Did you take it under someone else's name? If you did, I can understand why that's academic dishonesty. If not, I would beg and plead with the honor council to explain your motivation.
  8. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor

Academic Administration
    Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    :confused:

So you were just showing up in class every week although you weren't on the roster? Not kosher but not the end of the world. You didn't get credit or even a "audit" note on the transcript. So you were breathing air in the room but in an otherwise empty seat... not sure how that rises to be "academic dishonesty".

Taking the exam?? Do they think you were obtaining information about the content of the test to use later for nefarious purposes? Again, I'm not sure how this rises to the level of academic dishonesty.

Your typical plagiarism, copying, sharing, cut & pasting, taking an exam for someone or having them take the exam for you, etc is a dream obliterator but I'm not sure that this rises to that level.
  9. JESSFALLING

JESSFALLING

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Please give us more details. Were you in this class half of the semester? Did the professor give you permission to be there? Who called you out? Who have you talked to already about this?
  10. sameric

sameric

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  11. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Removed

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Why would you even do that to begin with? Were you going to take the class later?

I second going to beg the honor council. This is not a big deal. I really wonder if medical schools would think it is?
  12. sameric

sameric

It's academic dishonesty. Would it matter?
  13. sameric

sameric

Please help me guys? Can I still get into Medical School?
  14. sameric

sameric

Shameless bump.
  15. V5RED

V5RED MS-1

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You really need to explain this "personal knowledge" bit. Were you trying to see a professor's tests so that you could take his class next semester and have an edge since you had already taken the class and the tests?

As it is, what you have written does not make any sense.
  16. sameric

sameric

17. SeminoleVesicle

SeminoleVesicle MS2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That sounds like academic dishonesty to me. This gives you at an unfair advantage to others also planning to take the class. I don't know how this will affect your chances of medical school, but that was a really boneheaded decision on your part.
  18. MeowMeowCAT

MeowMeowCAT

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    But isn't he/she technically taking an exam for someone else, even though he claims it to be a fake name. I mean say I was taking and exam for someone and then get caught somehow, I doubt I would be able to get away with the excuse of actually faking the exam.

I don't know but it feels like there is not enough of evidence to back up the idea that he was simply faking his identify, I would assume to the school it sounds like some lame excuse to either cover his ass or who ever he was taking the exam for, which he claims was not the case.
  19. sameric

sameric

I wasn't taking this exam for someone else.
  20. V5RED

V5RED MS-1

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This says to me that you were taking the class off the record so that you would not risk hurting your GPA by taking the class. It also sounds like if you did well in this attempt you would then take the class on the record.

I can see why something like this would be labelled academic dishonesty. It is not like you cheated off of someone's paper, but I can see why someone would label it as dishonesty since you were dishonest and it is an academic issue.

I am not trying to be judgmental or demeaning in any of these statements.
  21. SeminoleVesicle

SeminoleVesicle MS2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Why didn't you ask someone else who had taken the course what to expect, search online for old tests, talk to the professor yourself about what to expect, or accept that you're going to have to work your tail off to do well in the class?

This could have easily been avoided.
  22. sameric

sameric

Thank you for your honesty. What do you think will happen to me? How might this effect my chances of getting in a med school?
  23. JESSFALLING

JESSFALLING

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think you need to plead your case to the professor, chair, dean, president, etc. Be tenacious, don't give up. You really need to try to convince them that while you messed up, you deserve a second chance and that you will be a shinning example of academic virtue for the remainder of your studies at their university. If it was me I'd suggest to be placed on a probationary period - where if I complete the next year FLAWLESSLY, then my transcript will be cleared. Let us know how you do. Tears might help.
  24. sameric

sameric

Is it really that bad that I be placed on probation?
  25. sameric

sameric

Will it go on my record? How will this effect my chances of getting into medical school?
  26. MeowMeowCAT

MeowMeowCAT

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well considering you were not using your name, and instead a name that is not yours, whether it be a fake one, it awfully does sound like you were taking the exam not for yourself, but for someone other than you.

Well, it certainly a lot better than getting "academic dishonesty" on your record. Not sure what the circumstances in your case would be, but once fulfilled you will be able to get off the probation, and it just becomes a past mistake. With dishonesty, I am not even sure how one would he able to get out of that.
  27. JESSFALLING

JESSFALLING

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm not suggesting that you want to be on probation...I'm just suggesting that you might want to let them know in some fashion that you are willing to be held accountable for your actions and that you understand the importance of ethical decision making. Maybe you can suggest to them that you will agree to complete an Ethics course as part of your plea deal. :)
  28. sameric

sameric

Thank you for clarifying. :)
  29. sameric

sameric

I didn't mean for that. I was under pressure and did not know what to do. I panicked.
  30. sameric

sameric

Can anyone answer my question regarding med school now that you know the situation I'm under?
  31. TheMightySmiter

TheMightySmiter

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well, no one can really give you a definitive answer. I agree that the circumstances sound fishy enough that you will be asked some extremely tough questions about it, at the very least. Remember, too, that even if it's removed from your transcript and record, you still have to report it to AMCAS. It sucks, but med schools have thousands of qualified applicants with no blemish on their record whatsoever. Why should schools accept you and not one of them? It's something you'll have to answer eventually.
  32. DrHouse579

DrHouse579

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm a bit confused since my school's convocation speaker encouraged intellectual curiosity and told us to sit in on classes we weren't enrolled in. I can see how taking a test in a class you are not enrolled in can be interpreted as being dishonest, but certainly just sitting in on a class and trying to learn the material can't be considered cheating in itself, can it?
  33. SeminoleVesicle

SeminoleVesicle MS2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No, that's called an audit.
  34. V5RED

V5RED MS-1

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have no idea. I am not an adcom member nor do I know any adcom members.

I was trying to get you to open up more so that others could help you and to satisfy my own curiosity.
  35. MeowMeowCAT

MeowMeowCAT

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If there is a possibility of there being no record of it, why would it be wise to bring it up to the amcas? Isn't that just saying more than you need to?
  36. sameric

sameric

I never took that class in my life. I was just curious.
  37. sameric

sameric

I'm so stupid. I know. :(
  38. sameric

sameric

I don't know why this is happening to me. Thank you for your sympathy.
  39. V5RED

V5RED MS-1

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Obviously you had not taken it previously.

I prefaced my point by saying it only applied if you were trying to get an advantage in a course you wanted to take in the future.

If you were just showing up for fun and were not testing to make sure you would get an A before you took the class, then of course I feel bad for you.

I thought that it was clear that I had no issue with just showing up for fun.
  40. DrHouse579

DrHouse579

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    OP, I really think you need to emphasize this point to the committee. You need to prove that you really had no intention of taking this class for credit or were not taking the test for someone else. If the class is not a pre-req or a class required for your major, this will be an easier point to make obviously. What class was it, if you don't mind my asking?
  41. torshi

torshi

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    Only way to find out is to apply to a lot of med schools
  42. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor

Academic Administration
    Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    The point where you gave a false name in an academic setting is where your chances went from maybe/maybe not to snowball's chance in hell. Lying in an academic setting (and giving a false name is telling a lie) is the kiss of death.
  43. sameric

sameric

44. ponyo

ponyo 人魚姫

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Sorry if you clarified this already, but I think a key question is whether the false name you gave was somebody actually on the roster of the class.

There are two points that you have to prove:

1. You weren't going to this class with the intention of taking it later. (If this is one of the pre-med classes or a required class for your major you're screwed)

2. You weren't taking the exam for anyone else. If the false name isn't linked to an actual person then this is fairly easy.

I sympathize with you because I went to 2nd semester Ecology every day last semester just for fun. Of course I never took the exams though. I always figured that they would have just the correct number of exams.
  45. Aromatic Amine

Aromatic Amine

Pre-Dental
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    How did you get caught? You technically didn't exist in the class. You were essentially a ghost. Did you go to the professor asking for your grade?:confused:
  46. sameric

sameric

I honestly don't know.
  47. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Klassy Gentleman

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    That's where I see it being the red flag, too. I don't know why you decided to do something like that... but it ultimately is wrong to take the test, too, because you're definitely not supposed to. If you'd just sat in on the lectures, that's cool, but this is just beyond the gray area at this point. If you'd kept your real name, it could actually work in your favor because you could even lie and say you thought you were enrolled in the class. But this is just lying... :thumbdown:(
  48. raltima07

raltima07

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This story makes no sense what so ever
  49. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Klassy Gentleman

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Oh, I think I know what happened! You put a fake name that wasn't in the online database! :idea:
  50. vickpick

vickpick TreeHugger

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member