If I am accused of academic dishonesty can I still get into Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ethically, I personally don't think this should be a huge issue. There are many ways to investigate the intensity / content material of a class - speaking with a professor, speaking with students, viewing old exams, reading through the textbook, auditing the class. Your method was somewhat unorthodox, but in reality, unless the professor uses 100% recycled exams, you wouldn't have any sort of advantage that couldn't be gained through traditional means.

When looking at the technicalities though, you seem to be up a creek, for a couple reasons:

1 - You submitted false academic information. Judging from LizzyM's response and similar threads, regardless of the details behind the accusation, this is a deal-breaker. Unless you can have the charges rescinded (have you already been found guilty?), you are most likely out of luck.

2- The story as a whole isn't making sense. Too many questions remaining, too many obtuse answers. It gives the impression that you are trying to withhold information and downplay what really happened. Whether you are doing this intentionally or not I don't know - I'm just telling you how the situation looks from my perspective.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I'm not a member of any med school admission committee. While an Internet forum is a great places to hear people's opinions and have judgement cast upon you, to get a real answer you need to speak with a real person involved in the process.

Members don't see this ad.

This definitely vies for stupidest story I've ever heard. You shouldn't be allowed into medical school for being a total idiot at the least. What exactly did you think was going to happen when they had the name of someone who didn't exist? "Oh yeah that must just be the invisible wizard who shows up to take tests for fun...don't worry about him"

Members don't see this ad :)
What action will they take if I am found guilty? I gave them a fake name.

That's up to your school. At minimum, this is an IA and would keep you out of med school. If they're calling it academic dishonesty, you could be suspended or expelled. (The latter would keep you out of not only your current school but just about every other school in the country making it impossible to finish your degree.) It's impossible to say, though.

OP you should have just left the name line blank.

What did you write? Ben Dover

So is this academic dishonestly accusation towards you or fake-you? If it is actually towards the real you, then I'm only curious how they connected the dots between fakealias1 to realguy8502. Seems almost improbable, especially if you go to a huge university.

That's up to your school. At minimum, this is an IA and would keep you out of med school. If they're calling it academic dishonesty, you could be suspended or expelled. (The latter would keep you out of not only your current school but just about every other school in the country making it impossible to finish your degree.) It's impossible to say, though.

What is an "IA"?

Can I still apply to medical schools outside of the country?

So is this academic dishonestly accusation towards you or fake-you? If it is actually towards the real you, then I'm only curious how they connected the dots between fakealias1 to realguy8502. Seems almost improbable, especially if you go to a huge university.

This is a really good question

Last edited:
I added a similar class to the one that I was taking a test in. The class I added is supposed to start this summer. They have picture ID so they probably picked out my face from the roll sheet.

I doubt the TA's in your class would have roll sheets with every face from every class in the department on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt the TA in your class would have a roll sheet with every face from every class in the department on it.

Our professors can print off role sheets with everyone's ID picture and name on it. This is usually how they take roll the first couple of weeks.

Probably Ron Jeremy
Funny story, when I was letting my hair grow long, I got called Ron all the time. Even had random strangers ask me if I was him (probably because I was dressed well and had a bunch of much younger women with me). Good times. Almost worth the hassle of keeping it long.

Our professors can print off role sheets with everyone's ID picture and name on it. This is usually how they take roll the first couple of weeks.

Wouldn't that just be a roster of that class in particular? I don't see the entire point of having a 80 page roster with every kid in the department on it, when you're just looking at page 1-8 or something. I could see them identifying the OP as an unknown attendee, but if he/she is going to a big university it seems like it would be nearly impossible to identify that it was actually him/her.
I don't know, maybe professors are more ubiquitous than I give them credit for...:laugh:

honestly. This is such a dumb scenario that, you'd probably be successful in pleading your case.

just when I think I've seen everything, this guy pops up. I mean WOW why would you do this? This story makes no sense at all. Thanks for the laughs though

I've done that. :(

Will this effect med schools that I apply overseas also?
Wouldn't this be effecting your undergrad as well? In which case I would say worry more about actually graduating.

How will this effect it? Could I get expelled or something? :scared:

Almost no one here has the answers to your questions, because we don't know your university's policy, and most of us don't sit on adcoms. Ask the pre-med advisors at your school: it's their job to put up with clueless individuals such as yourself.

Oh, and stop answering questions with other questions.

...how has no one called troll on this thread? Unless I missed it....

ETA: If this really is a real situation...I'm curious as to how you got caught. How did they approach you? What'd they say?

Lol you guys don't believe me..

Please post any helpful tips and advice please. If you don't have any then please don't make me feel worse than I already am. :(

Lol you guys don't believe me..

Please post any helpful tips and advice please. If you don't have any then please don't make me feel worse than I already am. :(

Alright here's the order in which you'll want to begin your pleading:
Professor --> Department Head --> Student Judicial Committee (or equivalent)

As many have already said there's nothing anyone on here can do for you. Start having some serious discussions with the powers that be and see what happens.

Alright here's the order in which you'll want to begin your pleading:
Professor --> Department Head --> Student Judicial Committee (or equivalent)

As many have already said there's nothing anyone on here can do for you. Start having some serious discussions with the powers that be and see what happens.

Thanks for taking the time to write that. Hopefully by tomorrow I will tell you guys the results of my outcome. Please pray for me. +pity+

Step 1: Attend class for srs
Step 2: Take test for srs, srsly
Step 3: ????
Step 4: PROFIT!!

How has that not warranted a mention yet???

...how has no one called troll on this thread? Unless I missed it....

ETA: If this really is a real situation...I'm curious as to how you got caught. How did they approach you? What'd they say?

Honestly you are probably right.

The OP comes off as way too childish and immature to be a real person, and the whole situation seems too strange.

Honestly you are probably right.

The OP comes off as way too childish and immature to be a real person, and the whole situation seems too strange.

Please don't believe that troll. I'm probably acting childish bc I have mixed feelings regarding the issue.

Please don't believe that troll. I'm probably acting childish bc I have mixed feelings regarding the issue.
I believe you're misusing the term mixed feelings. At the end of the spring semester, I had some work stolen from me and plagiarized. Luckily, I was cleared fully with no mark on my record, but I definitely didn't have "mixed feelings" about the situation.

As a person that audits many, many classes...I make it a point to never take exams or go to the exam reviews. Usually I ask the professors beforehand unless it's a huge lecture.

I am literally SMH at the OP.

I believe you're misusing the term mixed feelings. At the end of the spring semester, I had some work stolen from me and plagiarized. Luckily, I was cleared fully with no mark on my record, but I definitely didn't have "mixed feelings" about the situation.

That's horrible. Glad things worked out for you.

Somewhere above, the OP admits that he signed up for the same class in the summer. Basically, he stole a look at a midterm. If this is the sort of class with lots of representative old exams floating around, maybe not a big deal. More likely, there aren't any and the prof collects the exams back and reuses questions.

That is academic dishonesty and he's toast.

Or he's a troll and I'm a sucker.

Wouldn't that just be a roster of that class in particular? I don't see the entire point of having a 80 page roster with every kid in the department on it, when you're just looking at page 1-8 or something. I could see them identifying the OP as an unknown attendee, but if he/she is going to a big university it seems like it would be nearly impossible to identify that it was actually him/her.
I don't know, maybe professors are more ubiquitous than I give them credit for...:laugh:

It'd be during a summer class...lot fewer classes, lot fewer kids, way easier to find someone. Even stupider than doing it during the school year.

Joe, a college student, was taking a course in ornithology, the study of birds. The night before the biggest test of the semester, Joe spent all night studying. He had the textbook nearly memorized. He knew his class notes backward and forward. Joe was ready.

The morning of the test, Joe entered the auditorium and took a seat in the front row. On the table in the front was a row of ten stuffed birds. Each bird had a sack covering its body, and only the legs were showing. When class started, the professor announced that the students were to identify each bird by looking at its legs and give its common name, species, habitat, mating habits, etc.

Joe looked at each of the birds’ legs. They all looked the same to him. He started to get angry. He had stayed up all night studying for this test and now he had to identify birds by their LEGS? The more he thought about the situation, the angrier he got.

Finally he reached his boiling point. He stood up, marched up to the professor’s desk, crumpled up his exam paper and threw it on the desk.

“What a ridiculous test!” he told the prof. “How could anyone tell the difference between these birds by looking at their legs? This exam is the biggest rip-off I’ve ever seen!”

With that, Joe turned and stormed toward the exit.

The professor was a bit shocked, and it took him a moment to regain his composure. Then, just as Joe was about to walk out the door, the prof shouted out, “Wait a minute, young man, what’s your name?”

Joe turned around, pulled up his pant legs and hollered, “You tell me, professor! You tell me!”

...why don't you just anonymously call schools and ask? That's what i do for most of my awkward questions

To complement LizzyM's post, a classic cheating joke/story:

At the end of the final exam period, the professor called time and directed the students to turn in their blue books. One student, finishing his thought, kept writing. After finishing, he hurried to the front of the room to turn in his exam; however, the professor refused, stating that the student had waited too long after time was called and the exam could not be accepted.

The student asked what would happen and the professor stated he would get a zero on the exam. In response, the student puffed out his chest and took an arrogant tone, asking, "Do you have any idea who I am?"

To this the professor responded, "No."

The student replied, "Good!" and grabbed the pile of exams, stuffed his exam in the middle and shuffled the pile before setting it in front of the professor and briskly leaving the room.

To complement LizzyM's post, a classic cheating joke/story:

At the end of the final exam period, the professor called time and directed the students to turn in their blue books. One student, finishing his thought, kept writing. After finishing, he hurried to the front of the room to turn in his exam; however, the professor refused, stating that the student had waited too long after time was called and the exam could not be accepted.

The student asked what would happen and the professor stated he would get a zero on the exam. In response, the student puffed out his chest and took an arrogant tone, asking, "Do you have any idea who I am?"

To this the professor responded, "No."

The student replied, "Good!" and grabbed the pile of exams, stuffed his exam in the middle and shuffled the pile before setting it in front of the professor and briskly leaving the room.

If this actually happens, I wonder if a professor would bother going through the individual tests to figure out who the miscreant was, or if they would simply say "Well played."

This is obviously the kind of situation where they simply dusted for fingerprints.

OP got most of you guys. Once a situation becomes too ******ed realistically it becomes brilliant hypothetically. We reached the point about halfway down page 1

OP got most of you guys. Once a situation becomes too ******ed realistically it becomes brilliant hypothetically. We reached the point about halfway down page 1
We need to go deeper. We are not done until we have reached quantum.

Last edited:
sorry to tell you, but there are so many applicants to med school these days that they will not even care to find out about the specifics of what actually happened. They will simply see the red flag and discard your file. Even if they did want to look into it further, your chances are slim at best. I do think that the carib schools wouldnt care as much

Joe, a college student, was taking a course in ornithology, the study of birds. The night before the biggest test of the semester, Joe spent all night studying. He had the textbook nearly memorized. He knew his class notes backward and forward. Joe was ready.

The morning of the test, Joe entered the auditorium and took a seat in the front row. On the table in the front was a row of ten stuffed birds. Each bird had a sack covering its body, and only the legs were showing. When class started, the professor announced that the students were to identify each bird by looking at its legs and give its common name, species, habitat, mating habits, etc.

Joe looked at each of the birds’ legs. They all looked the same to him. He started to get angry. He had stayed up all night studying for this test and now he had to identify birds by their LEGS? The more he thought about the situation, the angrier he got.

Finally he reached his boiling point. He stood up, marched up to the professor’s desk, crumpled up his exam paper and threw it on the desk.

“What a ridiculous test!” he told the prof. “How could anyone tell the difference between these birds by looking at their legs? This exam is the biggest rip-off I’ve ever seen!”

With that, Joe turned and stormed toward the exit.

The professor was a bit shocked, and it took him a moment to regain his composure. Then, just as Joe was about to walk out the door, the prof shouted out, “Wait a minute, young man, what’s your name?”

Joe turned around, pulled up his pant legs and hollered, “You tell me, professor! You tell me!”

One again LizzyM proves her awesomeness!

If this actually happens, I wonder if a professor would bother going through the individual tests to figure out who the miscreant was, or if they would simply say "Well played."

Well the student did have some big cojones.

We need to go deeper. We are not done until we have reached quantum.
+1

Question: what schools don't require you to report academic dishonesty if it is not in your transcript?