If I don't get into medical school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caprica6

I call it Vera
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about joining the army

So I'm applying to medical school this cycle for fall 2010, so its too early to be thinking about what if I don't get in. But I am thinking that. If I don't get in I am thinking about joining the army. I would eventually reapply to medical school, but I am okay taking multiple years off before doing so, if I choose to go this direction. I have no interest in staying at my current job which is in research. I would really like to serve, but would like to do so in a medically related way. At this point its too early to go talk to a recruiter, but I am interested in what my options would be. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to join the Army and work in a medical environment, you have three main options: 1) enlist as a medic, 2) enlist as a lab tech or something related, or 2) attend OCS and become a Medical Service Corps officer.

#1 you will attend basic training, AIT, etc... become essentially a grunt EMT. You will be deployed. You will treat wounded soldiers on the battlefield. Unless you stay in for many years, you will gain minimal leadership experience.

#2 same thing except you will be a lab technician and when you get deployed you won't be on the battlefield, outside the wire as often.

#3 you will attend Officer Candidate School and gain a commission; however, you aren't guaranteed any particular branch within the army. Your performance at OCS and the number of slots available in the Med Service corps dictate whether you get it or not. Worst case you may be branched infantry, transportation, etc... something completely unrelated to medicine. As a MSC officer you will serve in an administrative position over medics, nurses, docs, etc.

I am a female. If I enlist as a medic, how does this affect the units I can be attached to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a female. If I enlist as a medic, how does this affect the units I can be attached to?

It really doesn't anymore, you'll be excluded from line battalions but every brigade has a medical company females can be in.

You have a college degree. Don't join without a commission. Be sure you only talk to officer recruiters and if one service won't commission you, check out the other services.

If you have or plan on getting a college degree, do not enlist! It's a good option for some but does not make a whole lot of sense for you. If you are an elisted medic and don't plan on staying on to become a NCO (non commissioned officer) then it's just grunt work. While stateside, you'll do menial work in hospitals or clinics. Overseas, you'll be a medic. There's also a possibility that they don't make you a medic but give you a transportation or logistic assignment. It won't give you any advantage towards medical school. You could try medical corp. However, like someone mentioned above, that's not guaranteed. They could make you an artillery officer or other various specialties.