If I fail NBDE part 1, will it affect chances at OMFS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent1891

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the NBDE part 1 in 5 days and haven't gone over an entire section on the dental decks. I still want to get this test over with so that I can go on to study for the NBME, but if I fail Part 1 will OMFS programs know/find out that I attempted Part 1 more than once? If so, I rather move my test date... Please help me out guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm assuming it would end up in your institutional evaluation from your school.So I think yes they would know and it would affect you. If you can't pass NBDE you will have a ton of problems with NBME . Why rush to finish dental boards right now? Unless you are taking NBME in 3 weeks and are a 4th year

There's no excuse to fail NBDE Part 1. My entire class passed studying only 2-3 weeks. Even the weaker students. So yes, I would say if you fail, that will severely hinder your chances. Additionally, as pointed out above if you can't pass NBDE, you will bomb NBME. All that being said, pass rate for NBDE is well over 90%. Granted, most people are able to at least get through Decks or First Aid one time through...