If I get a 37 MCAT and have a 3.2 GPA, what are my chances at American MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UniBoy4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I currently stand at about a 3.1 GPA and I am going back to school next year to take some additional courses and improve my GPA.

I feel very comfortable with the material on the MCAT, and I'm doing well on practice tests. I could see myself getting a 36-37 if everything goes well on VR the day of the test.

Given the predicted future situation regarding U.S. residency placements for Caribbean medical students, I would much prefer to go to an American medical school, but I am worried my GPA is going to hinder me. If I get a 37 on the MCAT, would I stand a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I currently stand at about a 3.1 GPA and I am going back to school next year to take some additional courses and improve my GPA.

I feel very comfortable with the material on the MCAT, and I'm doing well on practice tests. I could see myself getting a 36-37 if everything goes well on VR the day of the test.

Given the predicted future situation regarding U.S. residency placements for Caribbean medical students, I would much prefer to go to an American medical school, but I am worried my GPA is going to hinder me. If I get a 37 on the MCAT, would I stand a chance?

It may be painful to need to stay in school for up to 2 years, but in the long run it is well worth it, if your goal is to practice medicine. You should apply to osteopathic schools and allopathic schools as well, if you don't have an aversion to DO. DO is a much safer bet than Caribbean, with regards to this it is a no-brainer.

I had a 3.2 out of undergrad, took almost 3 years of upper level classes to get it to a 3.5 with only A's, got a 37 and I'm going to a top 20 school. However, I never expected a 37 (I was expecting a 30-32) and you assuming you'll get a 37 is kind of unrealistic. There are too many variables during test day that could negatively impact your score. Remember, a difference of one point in scores is a matter of a few questions. Go back to school if you mind DO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.2 out of undergrad, took almost 3 years of upper level classes to get it to a 3.5 with only A's, got a 37 and I'm going to a top 20 school. However, I never expected a 37 (I was expecting a 30-32) and you assuming you'll get a 37 is kind of unrealistic. There are too many variables during test day that could negatively impact your score. Remember, a difference of one point in scores is a matter of a few questions. Go back to school if you mind DO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm not willing to do 3 more years of school to improve my GPA to somewhere around a 3.5. but I'm asking if I would be able to get into a U.S. MD (not DO) school with a 3.3-ish GPA and a 36-ish on the MCAT, or is my GPA just too low and if do get in with such stats it would be because I was one of those rare exceptions.

That combination of numbers will get you through some doors with schools that have screening formulas. After that, your LORs, ECs, etc. will play a role. If your application is pretty solid otherwise, a 3.2/37 could definitely get you into medical school. I've definitely heard of worse cases, much worse stats and still getting into M.D. programs. Remember though, that 37 is going to really mean something because it's difficult to get, so be prepared to really put in some hard work and acknowledge the possibility that the score may still not be attainable (and you can still get accepted with a lower, but above average MCAT). Good luck though, the M.D. is within reach. :luck:

But what's ur science gpa, I'm assuming that 3.2 is your cumulative gpa?

Hi there,

If you look at the MSAR, most schools, even the "lower tier" ones, have their 10th percentile GPA at around 3.3 at lowest. Any lower, it's most likely super non-traditional or URM status. While a 37 would certainly warrant your application a second look, a 3.2 will still limit you at many MD schools. I would honestly suggest a post-bacc or even a SMP (if you do get that 37, you'll get into competitive SMPs) if you want a good chance at all MD schools, including the top ones. There are just too many people who apply with 3.5+ GPAs with 35+ MCATs that you have to compete with.

You'll at least get looked at by most mid/low tier schools and should get a couple interview invites.

get the 37 first, then come back here.

Don't predict the future, just take your MCAT and do good .... stop worrying too much, you'll end up getting a heart attack :D

With a 37 and very strong EC and an upward trend, it's possible that lower tier MD schools will take a look at you, but no guarantees. I also believe this magical thinking of a 37 is complete nonsense. You're a student that barely got (I'm assuming) a 3.0 in his science. There's nothing to indicate you'd be exceptional at the MCAT, although it has (very rarely) happened before. If your science GPA is below a 3.0, you're wasting your time thinking the MCAT will save you.

Concur strongly. Your GPA is significantly below avg for MD programs.

With a 37 and very strong EC and an upward trend, it's possible that lower tier MD schools will take a look at you, but no guarantees. I also believe this magical thinking of a 37 is complete nonsense. You're a student that barely got (I'm assuming) a 3.0 in his science. There's nothing to indicate you'd be exceptional at the MCAT, although it has (very rarely) happened before. If your science GPA is below a 3.0, you're wasting your time thinking the MCAT will save you.

I think that's a bit unfair - I know plenty of people who are brilliant who had a low GPA for other reasons ("extracurriculars", "personality", being 20 years old) - so the real question is, why do you have <10th percentile grades and >90th percentile hypothetical MCATS? Because that's what all the med schools will be looking for you to explain.

If you truly have a reason for this improvement and can explain it, you should show it by doing one year of post-bac and getting an amazing GPA, or by really acing your last year of college. If you do this, med schools will have no problem accepting you, as it is your future, not your past, they care about.

If your reason is just "I'm smart but lazy, so I can study for 6 weeks and ace a test but otherwise don't care about doing well academically", then you should consider why you want to go to medical school, as it is at least 3 years of backbreaking, dedicated studying 24-7.

I appreciate your input, however, during my undergrad I was battling severe depression and still managed to pull off the 3.1. I am in better health now and I have been doing EK 30-minute exams and scoring 12s and 13s on the biological and physical sciences (haven't touched verbal yet, although I just took an online course in sociology and ended off with an 82%).

Last edited:
I think that's a bit unfair - I know plenty of people who are brilliant who had a low GPA for other reasons ("extracurriculars", "personality", being 20 years old) - so the real question is, why do you have <10th percentile grades and >90th percentile hypothetical MCATS? Because that's what all the med schools will be looking for you to explain.

If you truly have a reason for this improvement and can explain it, you should show it by doing one year of post-bac and getting an amazing GPA, or by really acing your last year of college. If you do this, med schools will have no problem accepting you, as it is your future, not your past, they care about.

If your reason is just "I'm smart but lazy, so I can study for 6 weeks and ace a test but otherwise don't care about doing well academically", then you should consider why you want to go to medical school, as it is at least 3 years of backbreaking, dedicated studying 24-7.

Because I am in better health now, I hope to go back next year for a full course-load fifth year of undergrad and ace everything.