If I hate IM should I still consider Emergency Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tednus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting near the end of my internal clerkship, I don't really "hate it" (I just put that to grab people's attention in the tittle) but I have found it boring and not very stimulating. The only time I am having a good time is when there is a procedure being done. I was previously really gun ho on Emergency Medicine, but considering the similarities of IM and EM I think I may not really enjoy a career in Emergency medicine. Perhaps I'm over simplifying the similarities (I really hope I am). The problem is that my school doesn't really have an EM rotation and if I want to do something more competitive I need to start getting research and building my resume soon. I have done research in EM and been on the wards many times in the States, but I don't really know what the day to day life is like, are there enough procedures? is it really that similar to IM or am I just crazy? (A little more info about me, I'm a US IMG in school in Israel, Step 1 score 254)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really know what the day to day life is like, are there enough procedures? is it really that similar to IM or am I just crazy?

Go to the EM forum in the physican/resident area. There are umpteenzillion threads on "what day to day life" is like in EM.

Reactions: 3 users