If i want to go into healthcare consulting... how do I do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medschoolornah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
\lkjlk

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
probably first thing to do would be to apply for internships with the top consulting firms. usually one of the best means of getting full employment is to do an internship and impress your supervisors. if they like you, then you get hired after the internship. find the recruiters of these organizations, find their phone number and call them, and ask exactly what skill sets they're looking for. kind of like you mentioned, if they're looking for people with quantitative skill sets and those who can use coding programs, start to learn that. those skill sets will be important to set you apart from everyone else. or do internships at some other health organizations to make yourself competitive for the internships themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
probably first thing to do would be to apply for internships with the top consulting firms. usually one of the best means of getting full employment is to do an internship and impress your supervisors. if they like you, then you get hired after the internship. find the recruiters of these organizations, find their phone number and call them, and ask exactly what skill sets they're looking for. kind of like you mentioned, if they're looking for people with quantitative skill sets and those who can use coding programs, start to learn that. those skill sets will be important to set you apart from everyone else. or do internships at some other health organizations to make yourself competitive for the internships themselves.

hmmm ideally.. but i dont think i can afford an internship right now...

actually, some consulting firms have internships that pay very, very well.

that will require some research on your part. i know friends from my school who've done internships with organizations like mckinsey or BCG during the summer, and they got paid very well. you'll have to look on the websites of these consulting firms, read about their summer internship programs, and then apply. though if you're serious about it, you probably want to start looking at them today, as their deadlines are likely to very soon. there's also a selection process, interviewing, etc, but internships are the way to go in terms of putting yourself in the best position to get an actual job.

Can only reemphasize internships! :prof:
After interning this past summer in health & benefits consulting, I was offered a full-time position along with most of my colleagues. The internship pay does vary, but I was paid comparable to salary, and getting your foot in the door in invaluable.

Needless to say it's really competitive and a MBA may often be more valued than an MPH. Look at some bigger, less-specialized, firms first who will have developed recruitment programs set up and go look at each of their sites.

Top 20 MBA with a focus on healthcare.