If I'm from Illinois...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How likely is it that I'll get into a medical school in Illinois? *If I get in when I apply.

The reason I ask is because my dad has some serious health issues going on and if by any chance something happened, I'd like to be close.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, you would be a fool to not apply in state. Your greatest chances of acceptance are usually in state.

Reactions: 1 user
List of illinois schools you can apply to
*Interview rate (IR) = interview/applications
*Post Interview Acceptance Rate (PIAR)= Matriculant*2 / Interview <<< This is an approximate. May be lower or higher...
1) Rosalind Franklin: MCAT (27-35) , IR (9%), PIAR (77%)
2) Loyola: MCAT (29-37), IR (12%), PIAR (72%)
3) Northwestern: MCAT (32-40), IR (7%), PIAR (94%)
4) Rush: MCAT (28-35), IR (11%), PIAR (74%)
5) Southern Illinois: MCAT (25-35), IR (25%), PIAR (48%)
6) University of Chicago/Pritzker: MCAT (33-41), IR (9%), PIAR (52%)
7) University of Illinois: MCAT (26-37), IR (31%), PIAR (79%)

The numbers aren't important. Overall, odds are good. Especially for those state schools in bold. I think AMCAS has a chart to gauge how many people get in to a medical school for each state, but I'm too lazy to find it.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, you would be a fool to not apply in state. Your greatest chances of acceptance are usually in state.
Of course, but if I applied only in my state, would that be foolish?

*Post Interview Acceptance Rate (PIAR)= Matriculant*2 / Interview <<< This is an approximate. May be lower or higher...

The numbers aren't important. Overall, odds are good. Especially for those state schools in bold. I think AMCAS has a chart to gauge how many people get in to a medical school for each state, but I'm too lazy to find it.
Thank you for this info!

Lol that wasn't her question..

Op you have a wide variety of Md and do, and uic likes in state applicants so it shouldn't be too difficult. Gl!

Of course, but if I applied only in my state, would that be foolish?

Yes, applying to only 7 MD and 1 DO program would be unwise. Most applicants apply to 13 programs minimum.

Reactions: 1 users
Depending on where you live IU, Marian, U of Iowa, DMU, MCW , St Louis and WUSTL are relatively close choices.

If you are from Illinois your odds will far and away be best at U of I and if you are from the southern part of the state SIU

Note I believe only around 21% or so of Md applicants from the state matriculated there for med school. Not the greatest of odds unfortunately

Table 5 for reference btw
https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstable5.pdf

Last edited:

It's not that the numbers aren't important, it is that they are grossly inaccurate. Looking at my old MSAR with data from 2010-2011, I have 170 matriculants and 783 interviewed for a "PIAR" of 43%. Northwestern has a 7 year BS/MD program so counting those matriculants (x2!) in the numerator when they aren't in the denominator is crazy, besides. Someone I know who interviewed there told me that interviewees were told that 1/2 of those interviewed get offers.

It's not that the numbers aren't important, it is that they are grossly inaccurate. Looking at my old MSAR with data from 2010-2011, I have 170 matriculants and 783 interviewed for a "PIAR" of 43%. Northwestern has a 7 year BS/MD program so counting those matriculants (x2!) in the numerator when they aren't in the denominator is crazy, besides. Someone I know who interviewed there told me that interviewees were told that 1/2 of those interviewed get offers.
PIAR is not important because as you said, I've taken alot of liberties on those numbers. It's funny because if MSAR put that much effort into getting school stats, why would they leave out the total number of acceptance...

What's more important is that interview rate. Unfortunately, looking back on those numbers, it doesn't seem like applying purely instate makes for a safe gamble to me. What do you think about applying purely instate with respect to OP's situation? I actually have a friend who is also concerned about traveling far for medical school education because she has an old dad that may need full-time care in the near future.

Edit:

I see where our numbers are different. I only focused on the instate numbers and ignored the total numbers.

Last edited:
Don't forget about CCOM in downers grove. FWIW as a newly minted IL resident with a LizzyM of 69-70, I've gotten 5 IIs that are all chicago programs. Just be aware that the chicago programs with reasonable stat ranges heavily emphasize service.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is probably the most selective DO schools (not sure if they have any preference towards IL residents, though I don't think they do), so OP, you'll want to have a good mcat (something equivalent to like a 30 on the old one).

This is true. If your MCAT is sub 30 (or whatever the new equivalent is) however, your chances anywhere in IL are relatively poor.

True, however if it's really high 20s I wouldn't count yourself out for University of Illinois and SIU. Loyola, Rush, and the others are definitely way harder with an mcat in that range. Even if that wasn't the case I'd still recommend going for an mcat equivalent to 30+. It makes things much easier.

Agree 100%. If you're from northern IL, go UIC/UIUC, if you're from southern you can add SIU (they're regionally selective). Just be aware that by putting your eggs into one basket you risk being disappointed. Perhaps an EDP is the way to go for you.

Don't bother with SIU unless you live south of I-80. They are trying to gear people toward practicing rural medicine, and do NOT want people from Chicago.

Reactions: 3 users
New list with both instate and total calculation...

1) Rosalind Franklin: MCAT (27-35)
Instate stats only: IR (9%), PIAR (77%)
Total stats: IR(5%), PIAR (63%)

2) Loyola: MCAT (29-37),
Instate stats only: IR (12%), PIAR (72%)
Total stats: IR (6%), PIAR (54%)

3) Northwestern: MCAT (32-40),
Instate stats only: IR (7%), PIAR (94%)
Total stats: IR (10%), PIAR (44%) <does not count early assurance, MD/PhD, joint program

4) Rush: MCAT (28-35)
Instate stats only: IR (11%), PIAR (74%)
Total stats: IR (5%), PIAR (59%)

5) Southern Illinois: MCAT (25-35),
Instate stats only: IR (25%), PIAR (48%)
Total stats: N/A, only accepts instate

6) University of Chicago/Pritzker: MCAT (33-41),
Instate stats only: IR (9%), PIAR (52%)
Total stats: IR (10%), PIAR (30%)

7) University of Illinois: MCAT (26-37),
Instate stats only: IR (31%), PIAR (79%)
Total stats: IR (11%), PIAR (66%)

------
-Instate PIAR is still sort of a useless metric because there will likely be an over-representation of instate peeps in the matriculant pool because... well people like to stay close to home.
-Schools that have instate preference are Southern Illinois, University of Illinois, and Rush. Everything else is private/top-tier and really not a safe bet.
- If you add in the DO school, you have a total of 4 schools where you can say you have a fairly good chance of an interview provided you fit their MCAT/GPA range. But honestly, it's a dangerous bet. It's more productive to figure out ways you can attend closeby OOS schools and travel over to illinois in the case of a crisis as @Flashfan suggested.

Last edited:
That's rough. What if you're IS and have rural medicine experiences+interest, but aren't from that area?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the school's mission is to produce physicians to serve their community. I read a book recently in which the dean of SIU was quoted saying she wanted to see some evidence that you would serve there post-grad, which is difficult to show without ties to the area.

That's rough. What if you're IS and have rural medicine experiences+interest, but aren't from that area?

You'll need to center your ECs all over rural medicine. You need a serious commitment, and not just say it in your personal statement. If that's something you want to do, then more power to you. If not, it's better to focus your energies elsewhere and just write off the school.

Yup they did say 1/2 get accepted!

Move there. Walk the walk. It is as likely that someone from Logan Square would want to serve in southern Illinois as it is for someone from the Tenderloin of San Francisco to say they are going into medicine to serve the Imperial Valley or for someone from Park Slope to claim an interest in serving the Finger Lakes.

To follow up on my learned colleague's wise comments, mission-based schools look for evidence of commitment. Words are easy, doing is harder.

Move there. Walk the walk. It is as likely that someone from Logan Square would want to serve in southern Illinois as it is for someone from the Tenderloin of San Francisco to say they are going into medicine to serve the Imperial Valley or for someone from Park Slope to claim an interest in serving the Finger Lakes.

Fixed that for you.

Out of curiosity how long would some have to establish residence there for a school to really believe someone from another state is serious about practicing rural medicine in that area? Would simply moving the April before applying work or would you be looking at a several year commitment to really convince any ADCOM that you are serious about wanting to practice in that region?

Out of curiosity how long would some have to establish residence there for a school to really believe someone from another state is serious about practicing rural medicine in that area? Would simply moving the April before applying work or would you be looking at a several year commitment to really convince any ADCOM that you are serious about wanting to practice in that region?

I'm not from there but I would think that you'd need to live and work there a few years after college, or have your parents living there at the time you make your application. Keep in mind that much of southern Illinois is rural with farming and mining being the predominant industries. Some of the counties in southern illinois have populations of < 40,000. I would think it might be difficult to arrive as a newcomer, find a place to live and find a job. I suspect that many of these rural areas are very insular.

Last edited:
Lol that wasn't her question..

Op you have a wide variety of Md and do, and uic likes in state applicants so it shouldn't be too difficult. Gl!

Her question was how likely is it that she will get in a school in state. My answer was more likely than other options - which is the correct answer.

Hurr.