If I'm missing one Pre-req. should I bother applying to that school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2031mdp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hellooo everyone,

So I'm currently finishing up my last semesters here in SFL and I'm looking at all the Pre-Reqs for Nova and Realize that unless I do 6 classes in the Fall of 14' and 7 classes in the Spring of 15' that I wont be meeting their standard Pre-Reqs.; I'm wondering if anyone has had or know anyone in the past that has been in the same situation as mine? Also, what was done for the situation ?

Thank you all =0]

[Updated] what I meant to ask is "For nova I would need to take 7 classes in the Spring, if I was to just not take Nova's (Advanced Science #2) or (Anatomy and Physio #2), would they even bother to look at my application?"

^^ Thats what I'm wondering if anyone has been in the same situation where they're missing one course or two.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hellooo everyone,

So I'm currently finishing up my last semesters here in SFL and I'm looking at all the Pre-Reqs for Nova and Realize that unless I do 6 classes in the Fall of 14' and 7 classes in the Spring of 15' that I wont be meeting their standard Pre-Reqs.; I'm wondering if anyone has had or know anyone in the past that has been in the same situation as mine? Also, what was done for the situation ?

Thank you all =0]

[Updated] what I meant to ask is "For nova I would need to take 7 classes in the Spring, if I was to just not take Nova's (Advanced Science #2) or (Anatomy and Physio #2), would they even bother to look at my application?"

^^ Thats what I'm wondering if anyone has been in the same situation where they're missing one course or two.

6 classes in the Fall and 7 classes in the Spring ??

usually schools still consider your application if you got most of the prereq done and only a few left when you submit your application. But generally you still need to complete ALL of their prereq before matriculation.

IMHO, you need to do things at the pace that you are comfortable and able to handle and make sure you do everything to the best of your ability rather than rushing things and getting a bad results. That being said, I did take some 17-19 credit semesters myself before. So if you can take the load you described above, more power to you. GL :)

Last edited:
A lot of schools require that you finish the science prerequisites by your Spring semester before matriculation. Nova may not. It may be best to call them and ask.
Personally, I would try to finish all of my science prerequisites by Spring and take some summer/Maymester/J-term classes to finish any other prerequisites. That way you can also apply to multiple schools.
Have you taken the PCAT? I would also worry about taking the PCAT with so many prerequisites missing, but I do not know if you're missing a lot of science or general electives. You definitely can take 18 credit hours and succeed, it just takes a lot of work.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of schools require that you finish the science prerequisites by your Spring semester before matriculation. Nova may not. It may be best to call them and ask.
Personally, I would try to finish all of my science prerequisites by Spring and take some summer/Maymester/J-term classes to finish any other prerequisites. That way you can also apply to multiple schools.
Have you taken the PCAT? I would also worry about taking the PCAT with so many prerequisites missing, but I do not know if you're missing a lot of science or general electives. You definitely can take 18 credit hours and succeed, it just takes a lot of work.

I think both you and "OldStock" are right, well If I take it easy in the fall and spring all I would have left is [Bio 1&2 +L's ] + [Cal] + [Phy 1&2 + L's] , as of now I have yet to take the PCAT, I have been working on Some Dr.Collin packets that my friend who took it late 13' gave to me, I agree that if I take on that any classes it would have a high chance at hindering my score. I just wanted to go somewhere close to home because my girl well fiancé wanted to be close and it would help us save money because we would possibly find a mid point from Miami and Nova.

I have to read more in these forums because there is plenty of info here that'll help me prepare properly, I also saw that LECOM Bradenton Campus offers this odd program that I haven't seen any other school mention which is called "4-year distance education pathway" and I'm more of a hands on person so I don't know really how that would go, but I'll definitely read up on it.

I have to find a forum where it talks about, is it beneficial to take the PCAT in september to see how I do before taking it one more time in january.

6 classes in the Fall and 7 classes in the Spring ??

usually schools still consider your application if you got most of the prereq done and only a few left when you submit your application. But generally you still need to complete ALL of their prereq before matriculation.

IMHO, you need to do things at the pace that you are comfortable and able to handle and make sure you do everything to the best of your ability rather than rushing things and getting a bad results. That being said, I did take some 17-19 credit semesters myself before. So if you can take the load you described above, more power to you. GL :)
replied in the top message, didn't know how to add yah. thanks!

I think both you and "OldStock" are right, well If I take it easy in the fall and spring all I would have left is [Bio 1&2 +L's ] + [Cal] + [Phy 1&2 + L's] , as of now I have yet to take the PCAT, I have been working on Some Dr.Collin packets that my friend who took it late 13' gave to me, I agree that if I take on that any classes it would have a high chance at hindering my score. I just wanted to go somewhere close to home because my girl well fiancé wanted to be close and it would help us save money because we would possibly find a mid point from Miami and Nova.

I have to read more in these forums because there is plenty of info here that'll help me prepare properly, I also saw that LECOM Bradenton Campus offers this odd program that I haven't seen any other school mention which is called "4-year distance education pathway" and I'm more of a hands on person so I don't know really how that would go, but I'll definitely read up on it.

I have to find a forum where it talks about, is it beneficial to take the PCAT in september to see how I do before taking it one more time in january.

I am starting prerequisite in next month, but I still have to register for classes. Which classes should take in first semester? Lecom counselor told me to take chemistry and biology. But there 8 credits for each them, I don't know would it be possible to take them all in one semester? If you know anything about this, can you explain me in detail? I am totally new t this. I am from another country and I have decided to study pharmacy. I am also thinking to start online application in next term.

I am starting prerequisite in next month, but I still have to register for classes. Which classes should take in first semester? Lecom counselor told me to take chemistry and biology. But there 8 credits for each them, I don't know would it be possible to take them all in one semester? If you know anything about this, can you explain me in detail? I am totally new t this. I am from another country and I have decided to study pharmacy. I am also thinking to start online application in next term.

No, unfortunately it would not be possible, the way most people do it is they start with Inorganic Chemistry 1 and the Lab Class and probably take Biology 1 and the Lab Class.... then proceed to the Ino. Chm. 2 + Lab and Bio 2 + Lab....

you also have to consider your math classes, Lecom requires you to have at least Calculus and stats, but the road to Calculus is.. college algebra > Pre-cal > Trigonometry > Calculus ..

another thing is if you havent started on these just yet the requirements for school change every year, so by the time your eligible to apply they'll probably be a few more classes added to their Pre-Reqs.

but for now just start on the ones I mentioned and you should be fine you have enough time because you'll more than likely be able to apply for 2016 year

I more meant I would be worried about taking the PCAT without taking the prerequisites first (especially the introductory courses), while it is true that taking classes at the same time would affect how much time you have to study for the test. I would be worried about taking the PCAT without taking General Biology. LECOM also has a strict policy on prerequisites being finished by a certain date in the middle of summer (we were told at the interview that this date would not be budged at all). I do not know if there are special cases though.
I took the PCAT in the summer so I had a lot of time to study (I didn't take any classes that session). I had not taken A & P, never had to take Biochemistry, and still had to take OChem II, but all of my other prerequisites were done before I took the PCAT (including Cell Bio, Genetics, and Microbiology).
The math section is a LOT of calculus (at least mine was). If you took it in high school and were good at it you should be okay. I had to look up a lot, because I hadn't taken a math class for like 3 years when I took the PCAT. Chemistry and math were the two sections I studied for the most. If no one has told you yet, you will probably not finish the math section in time. I always was one of the first (if not the first) to finish math tests in high school/college and had to put random answers for the last 10 questions because of time.
If you can teach yourself all that stuff for the PCAT, more power to you. I just personally would worry about taking it without calculus or biology.
Good luck!

I more meant I would be worried about taking the PCAT without taking the prerequisites first (especially the introductory courses), while it is true that taking classes at the same time would affect how much time you have to study for the test. I would be worried about taking the PCAT without taking General Biology. LECOM also has a strict policy on prerequisites being finished by a certain date in the middle of summer (we were told at the interview that this date would not be budged at all). I do not know if there are special cases though.
I took the PCAT in the summer so I had a lot of time to study (I didn't take any classes that session). I had not taken A & P, never had to take Biochemistry, and still had to take OChem II, but all of my other prerequisites were done before I took the PCAT (including Cell Bio, Genetics, and Microbiology).
The math section is a LOT of calculus (at least mine was). If you took it in high school and were good at it you should be okay. I had to look up a lot, because I hadn't taken a math class for like 3 years when I took the PCAT. Chemistry and math were the two sections I studied for the most. If no one has told you yet, you will probably not finish the math section in time. I always was one of the first (if not the first) to finish math tests in high school/college and had to put random answers for the last 10 questions because of time.
If you can teach yourself all that stuff for the PCAT, more power to you. I just personally would worry about taking it without calculus or biology.
Good luck!

Heard, well I've been reading a lot on these forums and it seems like LECOM is not such a great institute to go to, I do have other options in mind either way. With all things said, I really will just wait till january to take my test where I have some information on Biology, I'll be meeting the requirements for LECOM in time but I'm also looking at PCOM and a few others.