If there are no more spots left, will AAMC add more testing centers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manohman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are still many dates open, but if come November there are next to now more test dates open, would the AAMC add more? Or is that highly unlikely (lol - guess im flying)

I may have to delay my test date, but i wont be able to sign up until after november. How worried should i be (about to book a test in puerto rico)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A lot of people preemptively booked spots after their test just in case they didn't receive a good score. So, I wouldn't worry too much about there being no spots available, because they inevitably open up

Members don't see this ad :)
doubt it. i didnt realize how few testing dates they have till now...

What state? Im going to be changing mine shortly...

What date are you going to be changing? If you are changing seats in ANY of the East Coast states (NY, NJ, DE, MD, PA, NC, or especially VA), I would love to switch with you! Please let me know!

Im moving to california and all of the west coast spots in january are taken. •\• its insane

Will anyone else be changing? Test dates? I'm from MA and it looks like I have to take a test in Ohio :/
Hey man. Im switching my november test and its in syracuse. I know its not that close but it may be better than ohio? Its for the nov test date.

I just wanted to let you know that when in registered for my MCAT, in the spring of this year, I was dismayed because when I originally logged on to set my date, the closest MCAT available to me was 8 hours away. It took me a couple of weeks to figure which date was best for me because I was trying to schedule around undergrad classes, family, etc. When I was finally ready to schedule, I logged back in and, magically, there were available seats in my seats! Here's what happened. I called AAMC and asked them because I was hesitant to schedule because I feared that it was a computer glitch. They advised me that tons of students immediately register for a second test after they finish their first test, just as Cafeverona said. Those students get their scores and end up canceling their second test if they are pleased with their original score. AAMC doesn't immediately re-open those dates. For me, my test date was only two weeks out from the date I called AAMC. I'm not sure what their logic is in holding those dates back but then again, no one understands any logic that takes place within AAMC so don't start trying now. My advice is keeping checking available test dates everyday. I promise dates will open as the date you want draws near. It does every this as every test date draws near. Now, the danger in that is that you may not get the date you want but you may save hundreds of dollars by not having to fly to another country to test! Good new is that none of this will change your study prep so keep plugging away until you find the perfect date! You got this! Good Luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm looking forward to a road trip in January though, so whatever.

Honestly, my belief is that AAMC holds seats back from being available until you reach the Bronze Zone (1-2 weeks out from test date) time frame. If they do this, this forces the applicants to pay the most expensive price for the seat which means more money for them. I can't be sure of this but it is a smart business move if that is the case!

A few of you have talked about switching test locations with other people... Is this even possible? Are you assuming that once you give up your current reservation, that this spot will immediately open up for other people?

My boyfriend is currently signed up for the Nov 7 test, but just in case he needs to, he wants the opportunity to retake the test in January. And the Jan tests are filling up REALLY fast. So if his friend reserved a January spot for him, is it even possible for my bf to snatch up that spot as soon as his friend cancels?

A few of you have talked about switching test locations with other people... Is this even possible? Are you assuming that once you give up your current reservation, that this spot will immediately open up for other people?

My boyfriend is currently signed up for the Nov 7 test, but just in case he needs to, he wants the opportunity to retake the test in January. And the Jan tests are filling up REALLY fast. So if his friend reserved a January spot for him, is it even possible for my bf to snatch up that spot as soon as his friend cancels?

From what @premednontrad said, it seems even if your friend cancels, AAMC might not reopen up those seats right away so who knows when they will open it up. I don't know how the whole process work but maybe that's how AAMC handles it so people don't reserve two seats by having their friends do it?

From what @premednontrad said, it seems even if your friend cancels, AAMC might not reopen up those seats right away so who knows when they will open it up. I don't know how the whole process work but maybe that's how AAMC handles it so people don't reserve two seats by having their friends do it?

This. You are correct. I recently switched my seat to the Jan exam successfully and found that when I went to look for my previous center/Nov 7 date, it was not there. Unless someone was looking and refreshing right then and there, thats a different story, but I did this just to check this very idea across two different laptops....so I think you are correct, AAMC does not release those seats right away.

Ok, so I live on the East Coast United States. I am trying to take the MCAT in January. I've been abroad and didn't realize that these test dates have been booked. So, I checked last week and there were some options, but nothing really close to home. So, I took some time to research and choose the best far destination for me, but it has gotten even worse. The only opening is for Guam. So, I registered, but I am really hoping something else opens up. As I would definitely not want to travel all the way to Guam just to write the exam. Anyone know the chances for this happening? Is it likely or should I not count on it at all. Airfare is ~$2000 so I am really hoping something more local opens up. I'll take anything at this point.

UPDATE: According to their twitter, they have added a December 6th test date, which is likely too early for me. But, they also said they will be adding a limited number of seats over the next few weeks for Nov-Jan test. There was Texas in January this morning, but I was too slow.

Last edited:
UPDATE: According to their twitter, they have added a December 6th test date, which is likely too early for me. But, they also said they will be adding a limited number of seats over the next few weeks for Nov-Jan test. There was Texas in January this morning, but I was too slow.

Best of luck with the search. I've heard about people finding January spots by refreshing the page for an hour or two.
Also, after taking their exam but before getting their score, people will sign up for an another date, just in case they want to retake. So when they get their score back, a lot of them will cancel their reserved spot. Keep an eye out for spots opening on those days when scores come out. The next day is Oct 15.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/reserving/355164/scorereleaseschedule.html