If you add a voltage(battery) to a Galvanic cell, will it then become an Electrolytic cell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zaids37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will it go from a spontaneous reaction to a non-spantaneous reaction because of the added voltage source....or will it remain spontaneous and the voltage does nothing?

ORRRR will it depend on which side of the voltage source is connected to the cathode and anode? For example, Cathode is hooked to - end and Anode is hooked to + end, this leads to a nonspontaneous reaction (electrolytic cell activity). But if it is the other way around it will keep galvanic cell activity.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think whether a cell is galvanic or electrolytic depends on the thermodynamic potential of redox species. If the cell potential is + you will have a galvanic, if - then electrolytic.
I am not sure what would happen if you switched the electrodes. I suppose it would make a galvanic cell futile if current stops.

I think whether a cell is galvanic or electrolytic depends on the thermodynamic potential of redox species. If the cell potential is + you will have a galvanic, if - then electrolytic.
I am not sure what would happen if you switched the electrodes. I suppose it would make a galvanic cell futile if current stops.

So does this mean galvanic cells can never have a negative Ecell (cell potential)? I suppose if it were no spontaneous than there would be no reaction so this should make sense right?