If you could be talented at any sport what sport would it be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

If you had to choose a sport to be talented in meaning being a high school standout, getting D1 level offers and playing D1 what sport would you guys choose and why? I'd choose football but thing is never really know what it feels like to be tackled and the physicality of the sport so don't what that is like or if I could handle it. Position of choice Qb, rb, wr. Or basketball!

Members don't see this ad.

Quidditch.

Reactions: 5 users
If you had to choose a sport to be talented in meaning being a high school standout, getting D1 level offers and playing D1 what sport would you guys choose and why? I'd choose football but thing is never really know what it feels like to be tackled and the physicality of the sport so don't what that is like or if I could handle it. Position of choice Qb, rb, wr. Or basketball!

I played rugby in college. Like in football, it's not fun to get your head kicked in.

I'd pick ballet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Baseball, with the ability to throw a 90 mile an hour fastball.

Reactions: 2 users
Mathletics? I would not want the risk of brain damage associated with football.

Looking at salaries, injury outcomes, career length, and number of professional players. Baseball is the only answer to this question.

Mathletics? I would not want the risk of brain damage associated with football.
I mean football is s very rough and physical sport and I am talking about American football. Basketball has less roughness and physicality involved.

Lacrosse... I played a bit, love the sport, was pretty good but not great. I just think its one of those sports that's still played for the love of the game and not the money, even at the pro level. I respect that about it just like I respect other sports that are similar even though I don't have as much enthusiam about them.

I mean football is s very rough and physical sport and I am talking about American football. Basketball has less roughness and physicality involved.
There is actually conversation occurring that younger kids are not joining football to the extent they once did due to the concerns related to trauma and concussions on the long term well being of the participants.

Lacrosse... I played a bit, love the sport, was pretty good but not great. I just think its one of those sports that's still played for the love of the game and not the money, even at the pro level. I respect that about it just like I respect other sports that are similar even though I don't have as much enthusiam about them.

Love lacrosse, played it in college, but I'd definitely have a hard time turning down those multimillion dollar MLB contacts lol.

Also, this thread should probably be more of a lounge thread, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
Basketball (but that's a given since I'm a Kentucky native)
Or volleyball, that's the sport that they have in the NCAA that I actually have SOME skill at.
If they had NCAA rock climbing I'd pick that.

Basketball for the fame (U.S.) or soccer for the money (Europe)

Baseball, with the ability to throw a 90 mile an hour fastball.

Come on Goro, you gotta go bigger -> 100 mph fastball :)

Joggling

Joggle.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

Are those standard issue balls or water balloons?
I wonder what the presidents council on fitness ranks this exercise?
Are you supposed to juggle a certain amount of times during a standard run?
If you two opponents have the same run times but different juggle counts who wins?
what is prioritized? juggling or jogging?

Are those standard issue balls or water balloons?

Standard juggling balls. But beanbags with birdseed are used for longer distance runs since they are light enough to be juggled and heavy enough to resist winds.

I wonder what the presidents council on fitness ranks this exercise?

Don't know. Probably somewhere similar to an ordinary sprint (mostly either 100 m or 400 m).

Are you supposed to juggle a certain amount of times during a standard run?

The objects should be juggled at every step of the run following a certain juggling pattern. There isn't a fixed number of times the objects should be juggled in a run.

If you two opponents have the same run times but different juggle counts who wins?

Probably the opponent with the greater juggle count. But these instances are extremely rare, and juggle count isn't readily measured (the jogging times are more important). I'd call this instance a tie tbh.

what is prioritized? juggling or jogging?

If an object is dropped during the run, the joggler should return to the point where the object had fallen and continue from there. So jogging is prioritized because the race doesn't end when the objects are dropped, and jogging times are measured and recorded.

More here:

http://dev.juggle.org/pastfestivals/joggling/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joggling
http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/joggling.html

Reactions: 1 users
probably something less 'popular' like rock climbing or even a martial art/weaponry

I played hockey in high school. I was pretty good but by no means exceptional. If I had to pick a sport, I'd probably pick hockey.
Hockey. Give me the talent to be a top 6 forward and be able to maintain that level of play for at least 12 years and I'd ditch this medicine thing in a heartbeat.

Sdn mods, you just gonna let this off topic thread slide?

Last edited:
I enjoyed watching/playing soccer up until 10th grade of high school. I found that sports meant nothing to me, so I entirely stopped watching television that year. So I haven't really watched any sports, tv/shows in 4 years.

I think I played back yard soccer, 2 years or 3 last when I remember. I ended up getting a nosebleed from the ball hitting my face. So I stopped with sports since I'm not meant for sports.

I enjoyed watching/playing soccer up until 10th grade of high school. I found that sports meant nothing to me, so I entirely stopped watching television that year. So I haven't really watched any sports, tv/shows in 4 years.

We own one tv, and is used exclusively for Elmo and my wife's workout stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
Olympic Weightlifting.
Seriously, some of these dudes weigh 200 pounds and can push 350+ over their heads.

I've been in and out of oly lifting. It's super fun and gets you strong. I worked out with some guys who warmed up with a 295 c&j. Crazy.
I'm a bit of an amateur at it. Picked it up in college, it was a great way to get fit and blow some pre-med exam stress off. I'm not spectacular, I'd love to know how it feels to warm up with 300 pounds...

I'm a bit of an amateur at it. Picked it up in college, it was a great way to get fit and blow some pre-med exam stress off. I'm not spectacular, I'd love to know how it feels to warm up with 300 pounds...

Yeah, I'm by no means anything other than amateur. I started it through CrossFit, actually, and then just got more interested in the oly stuff. I still try to Murph every year though.

My goal was to be able to do more than my body weight in everything. The only one I can't do that on is snatch, but that's because of neck problems. I don't have the range of motion.

I wouldn't recommend doing any DB snatches with a torn labrum, and I'm speaking from experience here... lol. But in all honestly, I absolutely love C&J's. It's definitely the most "fun" movement in the weight room IMO. Nothing feels as good as getting under and catching a new max on a power clean either honestly.

Yeah, I don't do snatches at all. I don't go to the box anymore, but when I did I would just sub with c&j. When I hit my last 1RM on power clean, I was so happy lol.