If you could go anywhere, where would you go? List YOUR top 1sgz0!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrVanNostran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haha Title messed up! My 2 year old slammed the keyboard right when I was submitting this!

:naughty::naughty:Gutonc is going to kill me!!:naughty::naughty:

This is a not "top 10" list, but If I could rank any 10 programs, here is what I would do!

1. Dana-Farber
2. MDACC
3. MSKCC
4. UCSF
5. Johns Hopkins
6. U Washington
7. UCLA
8. Northwestern
9. U Chicago
10. Stanford

Other programs, I will definitely apply to:
Yale
BIDMC
Cornell
Columbia
Mayo
OHSU
Penn
Vandy
Michigan
Wash U
UTSW
Duke
USF
Emory
UCLA-Olive View
UCLA-Harbor
UC Irvine
UCSD
UC-Davis
CCF
USC
Rush
Brown
PITT
Loyola
UIC
Dartmouth
Ohio state
Orlando
Mayo Fl
Mayo AZ
Arizona
Loma Linda
Scripps
Colorado
Darmouth
Fox Chase
Baylor
UTSA
MCW
Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Haha Title messed up! My 2 year old slammed the keyboard right when I was submitting this!

:naughty::naughty:Gutonc is going to kill me!!:naughty::naughty:

This is a not "top 10" list, but If I could rank any 10 programs, here is what I would do!

1. Dana-Farber
2. MDACC
3. MSKCC
4. UCSF
5. Johns Hopkins
6. U Washington
7. UCLA
8. Northwestern
9. U Chicago
10. Stanford

Other programs, I will definitely apply to:
Yale
BIDMC
Cornell
Columbia
Mayo
OHSU
Penn
Vandy
Michigan
Wash U
UTSW
Duke
USF
Emory
UCLA-Olive View
UCLA-Harbor
UC Irvine
UCSD
UC-Davis
CCF
USC
Rush
Brown
PITT
Loyola
UIC
Dartmouth
Ohio state
Orlando
Mayo Fl
Mayo AZ
Arizona
Loma Linda
Scripps
Colorado
Darmouth
Fox Chase
Baylor
UTSA
MCW
Wisconsin

I don't see NCI/NIH anywhere on your list.. is there any particular reason as to why you wouldn't even rank it? If you want to choose a career in academia (seems like this is the case based on your top 10), I would definitely consider NCI/NIH. Finding the grants for your research is almost impossible nowadays.. However, if you go to the NCI/NIH, this might not be an issue since they're the one who approve everyone else grants except their own.. hahah.

I always forget about nih. I prob will apply there, how large iA their program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I always forget about nih. I prob will apply there, how large iA their program?
together (NCI + NIH), they're pretty large. If you like basic research, either NCI or NHLBI/NIH is the place. Everyone has to go through the NIH/NCI for grant money. You don't have to go through that whole process of applying for R1 grant when you're there...

If you're really serious about making research as your number one career priority then NIH/NCI is the place (I would even rank it number 1 - ahead of MDACC/DFCI/MSKCC). Clinically, you're at a disadvantage since you don't get to do the early diagnoses like you would in a regular clinic. You most likely will only see patients who have failed one or two treatments and are now enrolled in your clinical trials. If you plan to have a career in private practice, NCI/NIH is NOT the place for you. Their fellows usually struggle for a couple of years when they opt for private practice.

I think this list depends on context. Some of the small community programs could potentially be the best, in terms of training for an excellent private practice. On the other hand, if you want to do Bone Marrow Transplant, then only a handful of centers would be the best. I think your 'other programs' category probably could be pruned a bit. Ultimately, most trainees make decisions based as much upon family and location as the training opportunity itself.