If you could only do one: research or away?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hzanchor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I really need some advice. I only have one month to play with in my fourth year schedule. I don't know if it's better to use the time for research or an away rotation. I'm an average student aiming for a competitive specialty. Here are my thoughts:

Research Pros
-a resident who also went to my school and applied for the same specialty (but didn't match) told me that it's good to do research with this one prof who is an editor of one of the subspecialty journals because it'd be easier to get published (in that journal, I presume)
-I am going to be doing a two-week elective with that same prof and will be asking for a LOR; added time with him in a research capacity may strengthen the LOR

Research Cons
-I don't really need more research as I am already working on a review article. I'm trying to finish it to submit before apps go in, but that may not happen.
-I have publications from college and med school, basic and clinical (one of them is tangentially related to my specialty, two others are not).

Away Pros
-I talked to my friend who is applying to a similar specialty (also surgical subspecialty) and our PD for that program said aways are meant to get outside LORs to confirm that your home LORs are legit and that your school isn't sugarcoating everyone's application.
-May help me get into that one program (I take it this is very dependent on the individual department).

Away Cons
-Our PD thinks aways are "a complete waste of time" and only makes it look like you're interested in that one program.
-Opportunity cost (if any?) of not doing research with that prof.

I haven't contacted the prof to see if a project with him would even be possible to begin with, though the elective description says that there is opportunity if interested. It just seems like the two PDs have very different views, and I don't know who is right. I would appreciate any advice at all! TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, guys. I really need some advice. I only have one month to play with in my fourth year schedule. I don't know if it's better to use the time for research or an away rotation. I'm an average student aiming for a competitive specialty. Here are my thoughts:

Research Pros
-a resident who also went to my school and applied for the same specialty (but didn't match) told me that it's good to do research with this one prof who is an editor of one of the subspecialty journals because it'd be easier to get published (in that journal, I presume)
-I am going to be doing a two-week elective with that same prof and will be asking for a LOR; added time with him in a research capacity may strengthen the LOR

Research Cons
-I don't really need more research as I am already working on a review article. I'm trying to finish it to submit before apps go in, but that may not happen.
-I have publications from college and med school, basic and clinical (one of them is tangentially related to my specialty, two others are not).

Away Pros
-I talked to my friend who is applying to a similar specialty (also surgical subspecialty) and our PD for that program said aways are meant to get outside LORs to confirm that your home LORs are legit and that your school isn't sugarcoating everyone's application.
-May help me get into that one program (I take it this is very dependent on the individual department).

Away Cons
-Our PD thinks aways are "a complete waste of time" and only makes it look like you're interested in that one program.
-Opportunity cost (if any?) of not doing research with that prof.

I haven't contacted the prof to see if a project with him would even be possible to begin with, though the elective description says that there is opportunity if interested. It just seems like the two PDs have very different views, and I don't know who is right. I would appreciate any advice at all! TIA!

First of all, which specialty are we talking, and what are your grades and scores? Aways are important in a few cases:
1. It's a supercompetitive specialty.
2. It's a supercompetitive program you want to match to.
3. Your grades/scores are below average for the specialty.