If you could've taken these classes in your undergrad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drewdrewpewpew

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am at a position where I have a gap year (and a half) before I (hopefully) am able to matriculate into dental school - as such - I want to prepare myself (perhaps even have a head start in preparing for dental school/preparing for the NBDE 1 as best as I can (my dream is to become an oral surgeon - shadowing experience was phenomenal btw, I am envious of all that are able to have that kind of impact on people's lives).

The following are the classes that are offered at my university that could (potentially) aid me in dental school/the NBDE part 1 - ranking them from 1-5, which ones would you guys rate I take - from 1-5. Thank you!

Classes Offered

Gross Anatomy
Embryology
Human Micro anatomy
Human Neurobiology
Proteins and Enzymes
Clinical Exercise Physiology
Immunology
Neurophysiology
Vertebrate Histology
Molecular Biology
Clinical Microbiology
Cell Biology

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. gross
2. embryo
3. micro
4. immuno
5. human neuro

Gross and micro are usually pre-reqs for dental school anyways though.

Reactions: 1 user
Spend some time traveling! Get away from academics, because once you start dental school and if you decide to do oral surgery especially, you'll have no time after!
Even if you take the classes now just to get ahead, lot of the stuff is memorization - you will not retain most of it until you get to take your NBDE part I anyways because you'll be so focused on other courses while you're in school.

take some time off!

Members don't see this ad :)
No point in taking those classes to prepare you simply for the NBDE Part I. Your school could teach it in a totally different way. But to answer your question, in order 1)gross anatomy 2)Micro 3) Neuro 4) Histology 5) Clin Ex Physiology

If you want to prepare yourself good for D-school, don't waste your time on those classes. Instead get a review book for NBDE. Also get a review book for the USMLE Part 1 (if you are interested in OMFS). But I would spend more time on the NBDE. Read the Dental anatomy and anatomy parts of each review book, pretty well.

Here are the best review books. Don't kill yourself. Exercise, get yourself ready for D-School.

Amazon product
Amazon product

gross and micro by far. anything after that is prob tied.

Reactions: 1 user