If you didn't have enogh motivation to get in great shape, now you do....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johncronejr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
or at least I do HAHA. I don't know how it is at the schools the rest of you are applying to, but at the interview I was in today we were told that in labs the guys would have to be shirtless and in shorts. Now how is that for motivation to get in shape??

Girls are in sports bras and shorts for labs.

Members don't see this ad.

Thats how it is for all schools. They even said that we find out who is ticklish and who has the bony fingers.

Thats how it was in my undergrad as well for us exercise science majors. Im not fat, but I dont have a six pack. One because I had surgery which I have huge scars that takes the place of where my six pack should be. Some of us are already in shape though ha lol.

lol I say screw it. Let it all hang out! Chest hair hanging out like Chuck Norris in the "Way of the Dragon".:eek: google it.

Members don't see this ad :)
That lab is called "naked Thursdays" at my school hahaha.

And I am one of those unlucky ticklish people, I actually slapped a classmate on impulse when they were checking iliac crest height...oops :oops:

just wait until you get to palpation lab for the pubic symphysis....and when they remind you the importance of "palpating on skin, not through clothing" (although there are few exceptions...that being one of them....however the femoral artery is not and can get awkward really fast lol).

Honestly we were all a little sketched out the first day when we're all practically naked, but now we're like "whatever." It's at the point where during our breaks we'll mindless walk out of the classroom and down the hall to the bathroom/lounge/whatever without putting our real clothes back on. Granted our whole floor is for the PT program, but still.

And for those of us with dance/theater backgrounds, it's great cuz we really don't care. haha.

Thats how it is for all schools. They even said that we find out who is ticklish and who has the bony fingers.

Thats how it was in my undergrad as well for us exercise science majors. Im not fat, but I dont have a six pack. One because I had surgery which I have huge scars that takes the place of where my six pack should be. Some of us are already in shape though ha lol.

Bizzle, I don't know when you graduated FSU but we didn't/don't have to do that. I haven't taken Exercise Testing and Prescription yet though (Just Ex Phys), so I don't know what the protocol is in that lab. But in my opinion, if your major is 'exercise science'....you should practice what you preach and not be hypocritical. For that reason, it's definitely got me going to the gym (which I have a love/hate relationship with)

Bizzle, I don't know when you graduated FSU but we didn't/don't have to do that. I haven't taken Exercise Testing and Prescription yet though (Just Ex Phys), so I don't know what the protocol is in that lab. But in my opinion, if your major is 'exercise science'....you should practice what you preach and not be hypocritical. For that reason, it's definitely got me going to the gym (which I have a love/hate relationship with)

LMFAO. Wait until you take Dr. Panton for exercise testing & Rx. At the end of the semester you have a practical type exam and guess what. She will be one of the people you have to touch. Well I didn't touch her I told her where to put the leads for the EKG. Between the 4th intercostal if I remember correctly. And she wanted me to point and touch to it on her body. Literally told me to point to where I need to put it. Anyway, she's awesome. She wrote me an LOR. But the lab for that class you will have to learn where to put the leads so you will definitely be shirtless. The guys are out an about in the room but the girls get this curtain type barrier if they wanted, which all of them went to.

And I remember volunteering for the stress test in ex phys so the shirt came off. And everyone had to volunteer at some point. I forget what else we did in that lab though. I don't remember the professors name but I took the dude that only has 20 questions on his exams and he's barely there to teach. He has his TAs teach the class while he's out doing his research.

Oooooh, man. Looks like i'm going to have to hit the gym this spring semester... hard. Trying to finish undergraduate early + work really took a toll. lol

Now i'm used to being so lazy. gotta lose ~20 pounds! i have to look good too. TWU is 90% women! lol

Been getting "naked" for labs since undergrad! The same is true for my M.S. program! No matter how confident or even cocky someone is about there body, it always gets awkward when you are in these labs. DanceFutureDPT is right though. The more you do it, the less uncomfortable it becomes. At least for some people.

LMFAO. Wait until you take Dr. Panton for exercise testing & Rx. At the end of the semester you have a practical type exam and guess what. She will be one of the people you have to touch. Well I didn't touch her I told her where to put the leads for the EKG. Between the 4th intercostal if I remember correctly. And she wanted me to point and touch to it on her body. Literally told me to point to where I need to put it. Anyway, she's awesome. She wrote me an LOR. But the lab for that class you will have to learn where to put the leads so you will definitely be shirtless. The guys are out an about in the room but the girls get this curtain type barrier if they wanted, which all of them went to.

And I remember volunteering for the stress test in ex phys so the shirt came off. And everyone had to volunteer at some point. I forget what else we did in that lab though. I don't remember the professors name but I took the dude that only has 20 questions on his exams and he's barely there to teach. He has his TAs teach the class while he's out doing his research.

Yeah he's a horrible teacher. Unfortunately I had him for A&P I which killed my GPA, and he's the only Ex Phys teacher. I took it this past summer and we banded together and found old tests because he never changes the questions. I think he caught on this fall though, and changed it up. I don't think we did the stress test because it was over summer...the only really physically demanding one was determining VO2 max, and the chick was already ripped and was fine with just a sports bra. So other than that, I'm looking forward to spring! There are a few guys I wouldn't mind seeing with their shirt off...haha. That's not creepy...

just wait until you get to palpation lab for the pubic symphysis....and when they remind you the importance of "palpating on skin, not through clothing" (although there are few exceptions...that being one of them....however the femoral artery is not and can get awkward really fast lol).

My very first question on my very first PT school practical was to find my male partners femoral pulse. I actually said, "Can you spread your legs apart a bit further? I don't want to accidentally touch something that I didn't mean to!" Though we only palpated femoral pulse over clothes; I can't imagine any common reason that would necessitate it being done directly on skin.

That being said, you get really used to all the touchy-feely stuff really fast, and I doubt anyone cares what you look like shirtless. In fact, the more variations in body type that you can get your hands on, the better. With the state of our current population, a large portion of your patients are going to be obese anyways, and palpating a 300 pound patient is nothing like palpating a bunch of young fit classmates! As a disclaimer though, there's a good chance that the guy with the best muscle definition will end up being used for demonstration over and over again, hah.

In fact, the more variations in body type that you can get your hands on, the better. With the state of our current population, a large portion of your patients are going to be obese anyways, and palpating a 300 pound patient is nothing like palpating a bunch of young fit classmates!

HAHA, this may be true but I do not care to be the one that everyone goes to when they need more practice for the obese population!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm surprised they let you do it through clothes...for pulses especially you wouldn't be able to feel it through jeans or anything...and realistically the only time you would need to find a femoral pulse is maybe with a patient who had a leg amputated, or had some sort of surgery that you have to check for peripheral pulses, and in that case they're probably in-patient in a gown anyway. lol.

But yeah, things get super awkward. That's what draping is for.

This is one thing that I'm really not looking forward to if/when I get into a PT program. I'm going to be an older/non-traditional student and not a young/toned student. I'm not obesse, but I'm definitely no where near athletic either. I could definitely lose a solid 20 pounds and will have to do so before starting school. I don't want to be labeled the "fat one" in class. The idea of having to walk around in a sports bra and shorts in front of everyone is very intimadating. :scared: I was never one to show much skin anyway. :oops:

I'm surprised they let you do it through clothes...for pulses especially you wouldn't be able to feel it through jeans or anything...and realistically the only time you would need to find a femoral pulse is maybe with a patient who had a leg amputated, or had some sort of surgery that you have to check for peripheral pulses, and in that case they're probably in-patient in a gown anyway. lol.

But yeah, things get super awkward. That's what draping is for.

Exactly, which is why I said common reason. It's one of those things you need to know how to find, but you very well may never or very rarely use. Aside from that, we had to be in gym shorts for lab, so finding a femoral pulse through them was never an issue. Besides, we probably spent a total of 30 seconds covering this in class, so why get any more into it than needed I suppose. Though if you tried to find any other peripheral pulse or palpate through clothes, I'd hate to see the reaction you would get in terms of a practical grade, hah.

lmao. unfortunately, yes. I'll just have to enjoy TWU for you also jbizzle. haha :D
Maybe I'll come visit lol. I would suggest to people who are reading this thread to hold off until he holidays. Dont miss out on some good food lol!!!

This is one thing that I'm really not looking forward to if/when I get into a PT program. I'm going to be an older/non-traditional student and not a young/toned student. I'm not obesse, but I'm definitely no where near athletic either. I could definitely lose a solid 20 pounds and will have to do so before starting school. I don't want to be labeled the "fat one" in class. The idea of having to walk around in a sports bra and shorts in front of everyone is very intimadating. :scared: I was never one to show much skin anyway. :oops:

As a current personal trainer, strength and conditioning coach, and committed PT student, I can honestly tell you even I am insecure about my body!

Just know, even those who are 'fit', still may feel uncomfortable. I understand the insecurities, but just remember that we all have them. Because everyone is in the same boat, I don't think many will be inclined to judge. We are all adults!

As a current personal trainer, strength and conditioning coach, and committed PT student, I can honestly tell you even I am insecure about my body!

Just know, even those who are 'fit', still may feel uncomfortable. I understand the insecurities, but just remember that we all have them. Because everyone is in the same boat, I don't think many will be inclined to judge. We are all adults!

I second everything you just said. I will be a committed PT student next year, but even the most "conditioned", ripped, "sexy flexy" ppl are self conscious about their bodies. And these are the ppl who are chosen most for practical exams in class, which may exacerbate the embarrassment. :oops:. Lol.

x 3!!!
I have competed in two bodybuilding competitions and ashamed of my off-season body haha. CUT MODE!

Eh, I'm sure after a day or two most everyone will be de-sensitized enough to stop caring about this petty stuff. Work out for yourself or a special someone only, not some people you happen to go to class with... The reasoning seems horribly misplaced otherwise.

How is this much different than being at a beach, pool, catching sun or the like? If you're worried about what others may see of you're body type, unless you a specific garment like say a thawb to cover the body or other non-traditional Western clothing, most people can have a general idea of your body shape anyhow. I hate to say it, but they can generally tell whether in lab or not. I've seen more unfortunately shaped bodies than I'd care walking across a sea of whaled up beach-goers down in Florida. I don't much of any bodies or bare skin can phase myself as this point.

Not to mention, as a PT you may just see all sort of body types if you work in-patient or the like. What happens when you have to help dress a mentally handicapped patient come down to therapy? Will you laugh and make insecure jokes? Nope, you'll keep your mouth shut and help get the job done and finish the dressing.

I say let it be. I may not have a body carved by Zeus but if it's to help out each other's education, so what? Who am I to judge and who am I to care if others judge back?

Actually, they'll naturally do the latter anyway. If not body types, they'll find something else. Ah well. :oops:

this is what im looking forward to.

cant wait to rip my shirt off and walk around lab shirtless. hopefully the girls are in good shape. not tryin to work with any grenades

x 3!!!
I have competed in two bodybuilding competitions and ashamed of my off-season body haha. CUT MODE!

i hear ya man. my bf% balloons when im bulking. i gotta make sure im cut when the shirtless labs roll around haha.

Ok this post is cracking me up and freaking me out at the same time. I workout but my eating is FAR from clean! Better jump on that wagon after Christmas!

Stupid question, but for those of you who are in one of these "naked" labs, please tell me you have some people in there who have more than 5% body fat?! :p

Ok this post is cracking me up and freaking me out at the same time. I workout but my eating is FAR from clean! Better jump on that wagon after Christmas!

Stupid question, but for those of you who are in one of these "naked" labs, please tell me you have some people in there who have more than 5% body fat?! :p

I can tell you that the large majority of ppl in the classes and/or "naked" labs are not 5%bf or anywhere close to it. That is for both genders. I know in at least one of my labs, our professor had males measure/palpate males and females did the same for females. I suspect that DPT school will not be like that. As DPTs we will be working with every gender, race, culture, etc under the sun so we need to get our hands on as many types of bodies as possible.

So no worries about a slew of elite athletes walking around(there may be a couple), but I would recommend being in some type of shape.

I agree with theOx....our professor is very much "CHANGE PARTNERS!" every few minutes. We all basically wander around the room and practice on whoever is free at that moment. Since we only have 16 guys and 61 girls, guys are harder to come by but I try to get at least one in there every once in awhile.

And very few people are super tiny/fit...yeah we have a few marathoners, and maybe a guy or girl or two who look like they should be in Sports Illustrated, but aside from that, most of us are "normal."

As an older student (1st year DPT @ age 40) I certainly understand where you are coming from with this comment, I mean, I look okay but I don't look 21 and I never will again! However, I felt compelled to chime in because there is something really important that needs to be pointed out here. We as PTs are going to do a LOT of touching of other people's bodies. I don't care if you are in Acute care or Ortho, your hands will be all over people and there is a very large spectrum of body types out there....

Don't mean to state the obvious - what I'm getting at is that this experience not only teaches you to palpate bony landmarks or whatever the course content is, it acclimates you to this situation of touching another person's body with respect, confidence and compassion. Good hands, y'know? Once you get used to touching others (you will have no choice, you will get past it) it may bring some acceptance towards your current body because "bodies" become less about what's attractive on a personal level and more about what's interesting or relevant on a therapeutic level.

Lastly and most importantly - diversity of body types in this type of setting does nothing except enrich everyone's experience and make their skills that much stronger! If you only have a chance to touch 22 year old fe/male athletes what is going to happen when you have an obese middle aged person to treat? The average person is pretty lumpy - better know how to deal with it I say. The wise students will be the ones that make sure they get around to palpate everyone - especially the ones that are a bit "different" because they are prioritizing training their hands and being effective - not staying in their safety zone. So wear your body with pride - you have a lot to offer these folks: an older body to train with and a little glimpse into their future!

I was nervous about this too. I was all set to get super toned for school (was not too bad before, but I am older too), but in fact I gained a ton of weight in my first semester! No time to go to the gym, studying all day and all night (I have a bad habit of snacking while studying), and stress eating meant I gained about 7 lbs. Ouch. I expect to reverse this trend next semester but you can be certain I wasn't super fit. And I wasn't the only one!

But trust me, no one cares. After about the first week or two of being in lab you are all too focused about trying to find bony landmarks than to worry about what you look like. After about a month it will feel completely natural to stand in front of a guy in your class half naked while they feel your "butt bones" or lean into you while testing your passive range of motion of hip flexion. It's shocking how quickly you adapt to being comfortable with your body in the classroom.