if you get admitted to an optometry school, and you say yes, can you deny the acceptance if you get

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fifa518

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you get admitted to an optometry school, and you say yes, can you deny the acceptance if you get into another school a few weeks later? Also, if one school says yes, and another school tells you to retake the OAT, what would you do in this situation? I am very confused! Please help! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Send in your deposit to reserve your seat. If you withdraw to go elsewhere you're not getting your deposit back.

If you want to retake the OAT for school #2 you could ask school #1 to extend their deadline. If that doesn't work or isn't enough time and you don't want to risk it, send in your deposit for school #1 and withdraw later if school #2 accepts you.

Reactions: 1 user
Send in your deposit to reserve your seat. If you withdraw to go elsewhere you're not getting your deposit back.

If you want to retake the OAT for school #2 you could ask school #1 to extend their deadline. If that doesn't work or isn't enough time and you don't want to risk it, send in your deposit for school #1 and withdraw later if school #2 accepts you.

Thank you! Also, how long can you reserve your seat? Just to clarify, you can reserve a seat without committing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um, indefinitely? Depending on the school, I believe they send your acceptance letter by mail with request for deposit within 2-4 weeks. The acceptence and deposit is a commitment, but they know things can change; it's rolling admissions. Some not-so-smart people have issues when they schedule their interviews for their safety schools before their primary.

Some schools will give you more time if you let them know that you have future interviews coming up.

Um, indefinitely? Depending on the school, I believe they send your acceptance letter by mail with request for deposit within 2-4 weeks. The acceptence and deposit is a commitment, but they know things can change; it's rolling admissions. Some not-so-smart people have issues when they schedule their interviews for their safety schools before their primary.

I just got my interview for my safety school and have not yet heard anything from my first choice school. I only have one week to respond to my safety schools interview invitation. Do you think I should go to their interview or try to move their interview later? I had submitted my applications in August without my OAT scores. I just took my OAT 2 days ago, and sent them my scores 1 day ago.

In my opinion, I would suggest your go to the safety school anyway. Usually with the deposits, they divide it. You pay the first one within a few weeks and then the rest of it won't need to be payed for until late spring, probably around May. That final deposit is sort of like the "I'm for sure going to your school."

Just send in the deposit, even if it's not your first choice. Security is worth the price.

Go to the interview, you don't have to worry about a deposit until well after you are officially accepted. You could push the interview back, but I think you will feel more secure with a backup. Putting down a deposit at a school you're not sure you want to attend is ridiculous, but at this point all you need to worry about are the interviews.

Thanks everyone ! Also is it possible to put a deposit down at more than 1 school? And if this is possible is it looked down upon/ cause revoking of acceptance ?

You can, and it shouldn't affect your acceptance, but why spend all that money? Every school I was accepted at was willing to give me extensions on the deposit date because of upcoming interviews. You will throw away a lot of money putting down multiple deposits.

Thank you I did not realize they offer extensions to most students. Great help thanks !!