If you go a caribbean school..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LebLlama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) do you have to speak spainish?

2) can you come back to the states for residency or is it harder?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Not necessarily (and i think you mean Spanish) :rolleyes:

2. Yes and Yes.

even if they dont teach in spainish, wouldnt you need to know it to effectively communicate with the patients in the clinical settings? or is there a spainish translator available.

Members don't see this ad :)
even if they dont teach in spainish, wouldnt you need to know it to effectively communicate with the patients in the clinical settings? or is there a spainish translator available.

Again, I assume you mean SPANISH. :mad:

Well, it depends on the school you're looking into. That then would tell me which of the Caribbean islands you're talking about. English is spoken on almost all caribbean islands although the accent is a bit hard to comprehend sometimes, but there are ways around it.

I think, you're probably referring to schools in Peurto Rico (Ponce), where a large population speaks (sometimes, ONLY) Spanish.

Considering that the student populations at many of Caribbean schools are 90%+ American citizens (Big 3 anyway, more Canadians at Saba) with goals of getting accepting in US residencies...

I'm going to have to get back to you on this one.

:(

Again, I assume you mean SPANISH. :mad:

Well, it depends on the school you're looking into. That then would tell me which of the Caribbean islands you're talking about. English is spoken on almost all caribbean islands although the accent is a bit hard to comprehend sometimes, but there are ways around it.

I think, you're probably referring to schools in Peurto Rico (Ponce), where a large population speaks (sometimes, ONLY) Spanish.

spainish spainish spainish spainish spainish spainish spainish spainish :p

I would like to know about all schools where an english-only speaker would be ok at. Which ones require only engrish?? The only caribbean schools i know of are in puerto rico cause theyre in the MSAR.

As if spainish wasn't enough. :rolleyes:

Ladies and gentlemen,

I give you, ENGRISH.

I threw that in specifically for you.

I also speak:

Arabish
Ruccian
Chiknees

spainish spainish spainish spainish spainish spainish spainish spainish :p

I would like to know about all schools where an english-only speaker would be ok at. Which ones require only engrish?? The only caribbean schools i know of are in puerto rico cause theyre in the MSAR.

The question you should ask is which caribbean school wouldn't you be ok at.

The only once is Ponce that I know of.

Lol at the Spainish thing. Spanish* it makes me cringe reading this.

To answer your questions:

1) do you have to speak spainish?
No, you do not have to speak Spanish. The only way it would be of use to you would be if you studied or did Clinical Rotations in Puerto Rico. I would suggest you possibly learn Spanish or French only because they are interesting languages if you ever want to travel later on in life. It isn't necessary. Furthermore only some islands are former Spanish Colonies, there are also British, Portuguese, French, and Dutch Colonies as well. Additionally, If you are going to the Caribbean many of the US-owned Caribbean schools are specifically designed to get you back into the US. Research is important. The top schools in general require you to complete your clinical rotations (years 3 and 4) in the US at US hospitals. At which point you are essentially no different then other US students because you are learning in the same setting from the same people. This is important because to ensure you want the most choices of specialties as you want you need things like Letters of Recommendation or LOR from US physicians. Not all schools are set up in this way. If your goal is returning to the US then you would want to focus on these schools IF and only IF you go to the Caribbean. I hope this answers your question

2) can you come back to the states for residency or is it harder?
I partially answered this above. Yes you can come back to the states. You can do residency. Going to the Caribbean you are seen as an IMG. The US residency spots match American Medical Graduates (AMGs) first and foremost. IMGs come second. This means you will have less options then your American counter parts hence why most people decide going to the US is a smart choice. The match rates for American schools are above 90% Possibly even close to 95%. For the Caribbean schools and only at the TOP Caribbean schools you are looking at 85%. For the lower tier you are looking much lower like 40%.

The Caribbean schools in the top tier have an attrition rate of 10-20% in the first few years. Some of these people weren't ready for going to school so far away from support. Sometimes its other reasons that are behind this like academic or other things..

Now the advantage of Caribbean schools over other international locales is the fact that in general your Clinical Rotations can be done and in some cases are required to be completed in the US. Those LORs I discussed in the above question come into play when helping you to obtain residency spots even more so when you are an IMG.

People talk about research and all that sure that helps. My personal opinion is if you are going to do it. Try to do it before medical school because when you are in you should be focusing on your grades.
Now as an IMG you need to score a bit higher on your USMLE step 1, and 2 to make yourself as competitive as possible to obtain specific residencies.

Is it possible to get Neurology or Neurosurgery? YES, it is, however I wouldn't go med school with the mentality that its that or bust. Go in with an open mind. Maybe you are better suited for IM or FM. Nothing wrong with that your are a doctor and if that was your goal you succeeded. If you are going to pigeon whole yourself with X specialty or bust you may not end up getting what you want. Most IMGs match to FM and IM. That is just in general. I do know some who have matched to general surgery, genetics, dermatology, neurology, sports medicine. They had to apply EVERYWHERE and they worked hard to do it and were the top of their class. So again its possible, but it isn't easy.

3) Do you have to bump 6 year old threads?

Naw

Reactions: 1 users