If you had a chance to start from the beginning...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SwimmingSurg20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had a chance to start from the beginning of medical school, what resources, study habits, etc. would you keep in your arsenal to do amazing in medical school? Or in other words, what did you wish you knew about before coming into medical school?

I start in 2015 and I'd really like to hear from those who have experienced mistakes and learned from them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
FA from the beginning. Pathoma from the beginning. Qbank (likely Rx) from the beginning. And by beginning I mean after anatomy.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard to use Firecraker from the beginning as well. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had a chance to start from the beginning of medical school, what resources, study habits, etc. would you keep in your arsenal to do amazing in medical school? Or in other words, what did you wish you knew about before coming into medical school?

I start in 2015 and I'd really like to hear from those who have experienced mistakes and learned from them.
I wish I knew how neurotic and whiny students are. I'm pretty sure most of them have never had to work hard in their entire lives. But assuming you want to be a physician, you'll have to ignore them or join them so here's my advice:

Just doing well in classes: Don't drown in resources. If you learn from lecture and ppt, don't stray too far from that, except Pathoma. You'd be doing yourself a disservice to not use it. Don't get caught up in all the hype about every fancy iPad app or review thing out there...BUT...

Prepping for boards: I've been using firecracker since January of OMS1 because it's the most efficient way for me to keep raw information fresh. I dabble in qbanks right now too but will transition over to questions, questions, questions in Dec/Jan.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard to use Firecraker from the beginning as well. Thoughts?

That would be my one and only change.

I started in January of M1 but wish I started earlier. Hind sight is 20/20 though and I didn't bc I wanted to ensure I got the grades/rank I was shooting for. If you're sitting average/below average on your tests it's not time to add another big time comitment early in M1.

FA from the beginning. Pathoma from the beginning. Qbank (likely Rx) from the beginning. And by beginning I mean after anatomy.

That would be my one and only change.

I started in January of M1 but wish I started earlier. Hind sight is 20/20 though and I didn't bc I wanted to ensure I got the grades/rank I was shooting for. If you're sitting average/below average on your tests it's not time to add another big time comitment early in M1.

If you guys had to pick one of these, which would it be?

I just started M1 and I am doing the 1 month trial for FC, but it got a little tedious just trying to do it for an hour or so each day after adding like 10-15 topics. The fact it's $500 or something like that for two years (I heard you can get it for $300-400 while a deal/code is going on) isn't helping.

On the other hand, I got a 2-year Pathoma (for the price of 1-year) subscription, since I imagine I'll be done with Step 1 by the time it runs out. Only in the third week of anatomy so no point in using it just yet, but once anatomy is over should I keep using FC or try to start reading a little bit of FA & Pathoma? There's no possible way I can do all 3 on top of regular classes.

If you guys had to pick one of these, which would it be?

I just started M1 and I am doing the 1 month trial for FC, but it got a little tedious just trying to do it for an hour or so each day after adding like 10-15 topics. The fact it's $500 or something like that for two years (I heard you can get it for $300-400 while a deal/code is going on) isn't helping.

On the other hand, I got a 2-year Pathoma (for the price of 1-year) subscription, since I imagine I'll be done with Step 1 by the time it runs out. Only in the third week of anatomy so no point in using it just yet, but once anatomy is over should I keep using FC or try to start reading a little bit of FA & Pathoma? There's no possible way I can do all 3 on top of regular classes.

It depends on your curriculum and how your schools sets things up. For me, I had basic sciences M1 and FA was not useful. If you jump into systems right away, then I would use FA. Reading the relevant FA section in M1 takes a negligible amount of time - I used it right at the end when we started micro/immuno, path, and pharm.

You're right about using FC. If you don't want to do 1-2hrs a day it's not worth it. It takes a lot of time but the repetition of information is invaluable, in my opinion. It's 40% off right now, I believe. The content in FC and FA are nearly identical with ever FC topic appearing with a referenced FA page. Pathoma is excellent and is always worth watching and isn't a major time commitment either. Are you integrating path right away? I would ask an M2 at your school if it's worth getting after pathoma already.

It depends on your curriculum and how your schools sets things up. For me, I had basic sciences M1 and FA was not useful. If you jump into systems right away, then I would use FA. Reading the relevant FA section in M1 takes a negligible amount of time - I used it right at the end when we started micro/immuno, path, and pharm.

You're right about using FC. If you don't want to do 1-2hrs a day it's not worth it. It takes a lot of time but the repetition of information is invaluable, in my opinion. It's 40% off right now, I believe. The content in FC and FA are nearly identical with ever FC topic appearing with a referenced FA page. Pathoma is excellent and is always worth watching and isn't a major time commitment either. Are you integrating path right away? I would ask an M2 at your school if it's worth getting after pathoma already.

Yeah it was a few second years who recommended/told me about the code for Pathoma, and they said we should start path end of first semester/start of second semester.

do well in your classes. be in the top 10% of your class.

UFAP 6-8 weeks before boards...everything else is just extra.

it helps to be familiar with the layout of FA and pathoma.

i am a staunch proponent against firecracker. i think it is a load of ****.

I'm on the fence with regards to FC.

I feel it can contribute greatly to retention of material learned, but I'm also afraid that it will consume a lot of my limited time.

UFAP 6-8 weeks before boards...everything else is just extra.

it helps to be familiar with the layout of FA and pathoma.

i am a staunch proponent against firecracker. i think it is a load of ****.
That is a tall order...

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I knew how neurotic and whiny students are. I'm pretty sure most of them have never had to work hard in their entire lives. But assuming you want to be a physician, you'll have to ignore them or join them so here's my advice:

Just doing well in classes: Don't drown in resources. If you learn from lecture and ppt, don't stray too far from that, except Pathoma. You'd be doing yourself a disservice to not use it. Don't get caught up in all the hype about every fancy iPad app or review thing out there...BUT...

Prepping for boards: I've been using firecracker since January of OMS1 because it's the most efficient way for me to keep raw information fresh. I dabble in qbanks right now too but will transition over to questions, questions, questions in Dec/Jan.
I know I'm only an OMS-I, but I'm seriously surprised at how easy life is in med school. Don't get me wrong. It is a mountain of knowledge to be had, but you still have time to go out a few hours on weekends and sitting studying is a lot easier than most jobs out there.

Is FC something you can use a couple of weeks prior to the start of M1? The reason I ask is because if I can make it a habit then it may not seem as much of a burden. Thoughts?

I'm on the fence with regards to FC.

I feel it can contribute greatly to retention of material learned, but I'm also afraid that it will consume a lot of my limited time.

Try it and see. I got FC, and while its good if you can use it daily, when you don't it borders on just as good as any study material. If you try it (it has anatomy and what not) and think you can use it regularly, then get it.

I also recommend Anki cards. It is really time consuming making them yourself, but downloading one of the USMLE FA decks is pretty convenient (and free).

Is FC something you can use a couple of weeks prior to the start of M1? The reason I ask is because if I can make it a habit then it may not seem as much of a burden. Thoughts?

I wouldn't. That said, you could always try the free trial and see if its useful to you. Your schedule will change significantly in med school, so I don't how effective starting now will really be.

I started med school this year with the intention of doing FK often. Right now, I'm doing average in class....very average. I want to bring my grades up a bit before dedicating more time to FK but considering residencies look at boards>>>>gpa, I'm starting to think I should focus more on FK and not frit much about an average gpa.

These are my thoughts as of right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UFAP 6-8 weeks before boards.
Do well in your class. Be #1.
Don't fap 6-8 weeks before boards.
Everything else is extra.

EDIT: In all seriousness, anyone in the top 10% of their class doesn't need tips on how to study.

I would echo those that say firecracker. Get some school under your belt and make sure you can do well before devoting time to it. After a couple exams I'd start it if you're keeping up with school ok. Having only started this summer, it's hard to keep up with curriculum as well as add stuff from last year without being overwhelmed. Also it would have been awesome for finals as most things would be fresh. FC is awesome for me but requires commitment every day. I started with an hour a day. Now I try to do minimum 100 questions a day (takes me anywhere between 1-2 hours).

I'm a 4th year applying to a competitive surgical subspecialty. I'm also only applying MD. I have good board scores so I feel like I have something to contribute.

I did FC when it was still called gunnertraining. I think it was useful, but in hindsight I really wish I hadn't used it. The time you spend doing that is much better spent on Uworld, Pathoma, and FA.

Forget about class rank. Your focus should be on Step 1, not class rank. At least in the MD world (pretty sure DO world as well) class rank doesn't matter at all. There's two categories when it comes to MD ranking - AOA and not AOA. Since we can't be AOA, class rank is considered less important than what our favorite food is to PDs.

I also really wish I would have started skipping class sooner. You have so much more time to study and do fun things this way.

EDIT: oh and please take USMLE. I've seen so many people take it and really regret it. If you study, you'll do fine. Don't let anyone talk you out of taking it.

Reactions: 2 users
EDIT: oh and please take USMLE. I've seen so many people take it and really regret it. If you study, you'll do fine. Don't let anyone talk you out of taking it.
What if you're a below-average DO student interested in largely non-competitive specialties?

What if you're a below-average DO student interested in largely non-competitive specialties?

If you take a practice test and are struggling to pass, I wouldn't take it, but if you can consistently get average, I would. I've talked to a bunch of 3rd and 4th years and in their infinite wisdom, they've said to take it. What if you walk into 3rd yr rotations and absolutely love a field that is either poorly represented in AOA GME or is slightly more competitive than the one you initially wanted? What if you fall in love and marry someone that absolutely has to do residency in X city where their dying father lives, but that has 0 AOA residencies nearby (the maldistribution of AOA residencies is still really annoying)? Etc.

It's not really possible to make that decision 3rd year, which is why keeping your options open is what most have suggested to me. You don't want to think later that you should have done it. The good thing is that prep is essentially the same, so if you take it and don't use it (apply only AOA), you're only out the day of taking the exam and the cost (~$600), which after 4 yrs and $100-$200k in tuition alone, is very little.

Like the guy above me said, you don't know what you are going to like. I had my heart set on a very DO friendly specialty as a 2nd year and then when I tried it, I realized I hated it. Then I found and fell in love with the specialty I'm pursuing. I would have been laughed out the door without good USMLE.

Like the guy above me said, you don't know what you are going to like. I had my heart set on a very DO friendly specialty as a 2nd year and then when I tried it, I realized I hated it. Then I found and fell in love with the specialty I'm pursuing. I would have been laughed out the door without good USMLE.

How important do you think research is? As a husband and a father I don't much free time. My plan is to place all my eggs in one basket and concentrate my efforts on sufficiently preparing for the boards. I feel that getting involved in research and other EC's would eat away from time and energy that I could be dedicating for board prep. I'm not sure what specialty i want to pursue (originally had GS in mind but the older I'm getting the more I'm understanding the value of time). However, I want to that if one day I fall in love with, say, ophthalmology, I have nothing to restrict me from applying to it.

Uuuhhhh..... enjoy life more. You all are going to realize in your intern year that all of that class rank stuff or where you went doesn't actually matter, and you're gonna wish that you spent more time traveling when you could and being with friends and family. in med school, you don't have obligations and things that seem like big important deadlines really arent.

Uuuhhhh..... enjoy life more. You all are going to realize in your intern year that all of that class rank stuff or where you went doesn't actually matter, and you're gonna wish that you spent more time traveling when you could and being with friends and family. in med school, you don't have obligations and things that seem like big important deadlines really arent.

That's what I did, I was middle of my class and I got exactly where i wanted to be. Set your goals early and work at them all while making time to enjoy life because success doesn't lead to happiness, only to more effort for more success.

How important do you think research is? As a husband and a father I don't much free time. My plan is to place all my eggs in one basket and concentrate my efforts on sufficiently preparing for the boards. I feel that getting involved in research and other EC's would eat away from time and energy that I could be dedicating for board prep. I'm not sure what specialty i want to pursue (originally had GS in mind but the older I'm getting the more I'm understanding the value of time). However, I want to that if one day I fall in love with, say, ophthalmology, I have nothing to restrict me from applying to it.

It depends on what you want to do. If its even mildly competitive, I would argue that it is extremely important. I have been very proactive in networking. I have spoken with many PDs and others involved in the residency process. In general, these appear to be the biggies:

Step 1 & possibly Step 2 - If step 1 is strong enough, you don't need Step 2. I used to think that the higher the better, but Im now realizing that this just isn't true. There is a cut off most programs want to see (in competitive specialties its usually somewhere around 240, maybe less) and really after you hit that number they don't care. They use that cut off to weed out the apps. PDs don't want to read 600 apps. Having the cut off helps trim this number a lot.

Letters - This is the most important part of your application by far. Ultimately all a program wants to know about you are 1) will you work hard 2) can I work with you. These letters will be your testament to that. Having a strong letter from a big time faculty member will set you apart. PDs will recognize names and thats important. A community physician LOR isn't terrible especially if its really strong, but when a PD sees that someone in academia (aka someone who KNOWS what a good resident looks like) is willing to vouch. That will go a long way

Research >>> ECs - Both of these are important too as they can help the PD understand what kind of person you are. Big time research (aka pubs, presentations) are huge and will really set you apart.

Personal Statement - If well written, this can be a difference maker as well.

Just for the record - I had zero research when I began my 3rd year - Im now in my fourth year and have 2 pubs, presented research at a big time conference, and have several other in progress manuscripts. You can get it done if you work hard.

Reactions: 2 users
Firecracker can be a useful study tool as well. If you flag the organ systems it's no different than using FA organ systems. I don't get what people say about time management, because there is always 1-2 hours during that day that you can use for FC. Maybe not during test weeks, but otherwise you should be ok. You will end up flagging the content you are currently on as 1-3s and prior stuff as 4-5 with a couple 1-3s in there. That means you are constantly reviewing what you are doing in your block. 100 questions takes me about an hour, and that's with taking notes on things that I need to. If you were really hardass about it, you could flag an organ system in the beginning of the block and take notes on the 500+ questions in a day.

The only thing that worries me about FC is that people always make posts in the comments making small suggestions or corrections. So whose right?

The only thing that worries me about FC is that people always make posts in the comments making small suggestions or corrections. So whose right?
Editors frequently research the newest and most correct information to verify the comments. They're hiring a lot of new editors so hopefully that will iron out a lot of creases in coming months! I often read comments and see where the editor (or another student) has corrected someone that made a comment suggesting something incorrect. Anyway, I trust the FC content unless I KNOW otherwise from my own studies.

I know I'm only an OMS-I, but I'm seriously surprised at how easy life is in med school. Don't get me wrong. It is a mountain of knowledge to be had, but you still have time to go out a few hours on weekends and sitting studying is a lot easier than most jobs out there.

haha princess, they make the first few weeks easiest and it gets about 10x worse by the time you hit step 1. good news is, 3rd year is wonderful.

haha princess, they make the first few weeks easiest and it gets about 10x worse by the time you hit step 1. good news is, 3rd year is wonderful.
765033.gif

I'm pretty sure it will get hardcore by then.