If you had to list SDN as an EC...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneDayDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
... How many hours would you have to say? How does it rank among your other ECs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Too many pointless threads. :thumbdown:

Psh you call this useless?

A number of top 10 adcoms told me I got interview invites solely because I listed "Streampaw hunter" as a 40 hour a week job for SDN. This **** has real world applications, man. Don't knock it.

Reactions: 7 users
Just thought it'd be a fun exercise in perspective :(
If you're interested, take the discussion to the Social Thread. This is an unrealistic hypothetical and we have had quite a few such threads as of late that only serve to be a nuisance.

Sorry everyone if this wasn't the place to post this... Getting roasted here. Feel free to move, mods. Crawling under a rock now...

If you're interested, take the discussion to the Social Thread. This is an unrealistic hypothetical and we have had quite a few such threads as of late that only serve to be a nuisance.

even if it is hypothetical, which lots of threads are, harsh much? maybe letting your frustrations about other threads come over into this one?

Reactions: 1 users
even if it is hypothetical, which lots of threads are, harsh much? maybe letting your frustrations about other threads come over into this one?
Perhaps a bit. But it's the same thing as the poop hot dog, how much money to not go to med school, nonsense. There is no reason to start such a thread. These topics are unrealistic. We can occupy ourselves in less disruptive ways than inundating pre allo with these pointless threads.

Perhaps a bit. But it's the same thing as the poop hot dog, how much money to not go to med school, nonsense. There is no reason to start such a thread. These topics are unrealistic. We can occupy ourselves in less disruptive ways than inundating pre allo with these pointless threads.

yet you're still posting in many of those threads like the rest of us..
no need to make people feel like s*** for making one thread that they thought might be interesting.

yet you're still posting in many of those threads like the rest of us..
no need to make people feel like s*** for making one thread that they thought might be interesting.
I meant no ill will. I really don't think they should feel like sheit. Part of that reaction is up to them.

Sorry everyone if this wasn't the place to post this... Getting roasted here. Feel free to move, mods. Crawling under a rock now...
Come out from under there. I apologize if I came off as being harsh. However, you must know better than to start threads posing such hypotheticals. It looks like you've been around for a while. Let's agree to think before we speak...and start threads.

Lighten up. In all reality, SDN provided me with 90%+ of the useful information I got about medical school and the career as a whole.

Reactions: 2 users
Lighten up. In all reality, SDN provided me with 90%+ of the useful information I got about medical school and the career as a whole.
So let's keep the forum relevant. The trollish threads are occasionally fun, sure, but they do detract from the point of the forum.

How dare you? Poop hot dog is practically a rite of passage. If you haven't posted there, you haven't posted on these forums.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Completely agree. Also, I feel like very few of the pre-meds at my uni are genuinely serious about medicine, so it's nice to be around a crowd with similar perspectives.

Completely agree. Also, I feel like very few of the pre-meds at my uni are genuinely serious about medicine, so it's nice to be around a crowd with similar perspectives.
Pretty much this. I'll take the gunners over the students who have no idea what on earth is going on (although I do try and point them in the right direction)

Pretty much this. I'll take the gunners over the students who have no idea what on earth is going on (although I do try and point them in the right direction)
It confounds me that people say they want to enter a specific field, but can't tell me one thing about it beyond lay man's trivia. You would think people would at least Google stuff.

It confounds me that people say they want to enter a specific field, but can't tell me one thing about it beyond lay man's trivia. You would think people would at least Google stuff.
This confuses me so much. For instance a few months ago in class:

Me: Yeah, I mean I'm leaning towards neurology but obviously I cannot be too definitive on what I want to do without having my step 1 & 2 scores
Her: Yeah well I'm going into pediatric neurosurgery so I'll be raking in the dough
Me: You do realize that matching into a neurosurgery residency will require absolutely insane board scores and a bunch of research, right?
Her: I do research for all of my classes
Me: How?
Her: Like, studying, duh.

I should add that she failed out of the class after the first exam (low enough of a score that literally nothing would have saved her grade)

Me: Yeah, I mean I'm leaning towards neurology but obviously I cannot be too definitive on what I want to do without having my step 1 & 2 scores
Her: Yeah well I'm going into pediatric neurosurgery so I'll be raking in the dough
Me: You do realize that matching into a neurosurgery residency will require absolutely insane board scores and a bunch of research, right?

I should add that she failed out of the class after the first exam (low enough of a score that literally nothing would have saved her grade)
I like neurology too. Yeah. I hear this nonsense all the time. I don't know how so many people just wing it.

I like neurology too. Yeah. I hear this nonsense all the time. I don't know how so many people just wing it.
We thankfully have an incredibly well educated adcom advisor who is the professor of the pre-med class we have (you need this class to graduate with a biomed degree)
First day of class he literally lists off seven points (MCAT, GPA, Research, Clinical Volunteering, Shadowing, Community Service, Interview) that if you do not have you simply will not succeed. It's quite nice to have people realize "Oh, maybe we actually sorta need to have a clue what is going on before they let us operate on people"

I absolutely hate when people immediately brag about how much money they're supposedly going to make. It promptly makes me think, "welp, they're probably not getting in".

Last edited:
I absolutely hate when people immediately brag about how much money they're supposedly going to make. It promptly makes me think, "whelp, they're probably not getting in".
The only time I ever mention doctor level income is when I'm bugging my brother about being a philosophy major. :laugh:

... How many hours would you have to say? How does it rank among your other ECs?

150 hours. I wouldn't put it on there as my 15/15 were filled up with baby saving, fire dousing, and purse returning.

I'd put 999 hours, max it out.

Then I'd have to specify that ~5% is getting and giving advice, and the other 95% is screwing around in the lounge and playing Werewolf.

I was on board until you maligned the poop hot dog thread, undoubtedly one of the most influential threads in SDN's history. Ergo, I dub you, officially, head troll.