If you received a predecember interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manifesto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some schools say theyll for sure say by then. Other schools didnt say anything. Usually if you received a predecember interview will you know by dec 1?

Members don't see this ad.

Almost every school will let you know if you've been accepted/waitlisted/rejected on december 1st.

No, you will not know for sure what your status is on December 1st unless you are accepted. If that's the case, you'll get a phone call and likely an email, with the possibility of a physical letter at a slightly later date. Phone calls can start VERY early in the morning due to differing time zones, so make sure you have your phone on by the time 6AM rolls around on the east coast (it'll probably be one of the only times you're happy to get a phone call at 4AM, haha).
Some schools do silent rejections/radio silence while others will let you know when you're rejected.
If you're waitlisted, it's likely that you won't hear back unless you're accepted at a later date.

Also, if your AADSAS status doesn't change, don't fret. That doesn't mean you didn't get in - tons of schools don't update these or have a significant lag in updating.

If you don't hear back on December 1st from a school and desperately need to know if your application is still being considered, wait a few days to call/email the school. It's a really busy time for them and they'll be fielding a ton of people wanting to know all at once. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No, you will not know for sure what your status is on December 1st unless you are accepted. If that's the case, you'll get a phone call and likely an email, with the possibility of a physical letter at a slightly later date. Phone calls can start VERY early in the morning due to differing time zones, so make sure you have your phone on by the time 6AM rolls around on the east coast (it'll probably be one of the only times you're happy to get a phone call at 4AM, haha).
Some schools do silent rejections/radio silence while others will let you know when you're rejected.
If you're waitlisted, it's likely that you won't hear back unless you're accepted at a later date.

Also, if your AADSAS status doesn't change, don't fret. That doesn't mean you didn't get in - tons of schools don't update these or have a significant lag in updating.

If you don't hear back on December 1st from a school and desperately need to know if your application is still being considered, wait a few days to call/email the school. It's a really busy time for them and they'll be fielding a ton of people wanting to know all at once. :)

Will they leave a voicemail if you dont pick up?

Will they leave a voicemail if you dont pick up?

Nope, no voicemail. You only get one shot. So if you happen to be taking a dump when that phone call comes well....you're SOL. They'll just move onto the next person that either doesn't do a #2 or takes their phone in the bathroom with them, in which case adcoms might hear some interesting noises and question their decision.

Seriously though, yes, I'm sure they'll leave some sort of voicemail.

Reactions: 9 users
If you are notified on like Dec. 15th, do you also have to make a deposit by Jan 1? Or do they also give you that 1 month cushion to decide?

That doesn't even make sense. How would schools let you know if you've been waitlisted/rejected on December 1st (if you clearly didn't get an interview pre-dec) if they interview well into February?

That doesn't even make sense. How would schools let you know if you've been waitlisted/rejected on December 1st (if you clearly didn't get an interview pre-dec) if they interview well into February?

I might be wrong but I think this is how it works:

If you've interviewed already:
1. you get an offer of acceptance on December 1st
2. you get wait listed (in the form of e-mail/letter not necessarily on December 1st)
3. you get rejected (not necessarily on December 1st)

If you have not interviewed:
1. you get rejected (however, schools don't have to wait until Dec 1st to reject)
OR
2. you hear nothing and get an interview later on

I might be wrong but I think this is how it works:

If you've interviewed already:
1. you get an offer of acceptance on December 1st
2. you get wait listed (in the form of e-mail/letter not necessarily on December 1st)
3. you get rejected (not necessarily on December 1st)

If you have not interviewed:
1. you get rejected (however, schools don't have to wait until Dec 1st to reject)
OR
2. you hear nothing and get an interview later on

This is correct for the most part, if you are wait listed or rejected you may not hear anything at all even if you have interviewed.

Should we update schools with post midterm GPA? I'm in a grad program and a second time applicant that has already interviewed at two schools.

Should we update schools with post midterm GPA? I'm in a grad program and a second time applicant that has already interviewed at two schools.

What does the first sentence have anything to do with the second sentence?

Wrong. Hardly any schools are going to let you know if you are rejected/wait listed on Dec 1.

I'm going under the assumption that you received an interview there beforehand.

Some schools may also send some acceptances to pre-December interviewees around to Jan. 1st. They'll give a wave of acceptances on Dec. 1st, give those people a month to send a deposit or not, and then see what their numbers/open seats look like. Then send out this next wave in January. (UMichigan specifically told us that they do this, which makes me believe others might as well.) This makes sense because schools want to give their "highest rated" applicants acceptances first, many of which might chose other schools, leaving open seats for the other applicants that they still want to accept, but only after seeing what these top applicants end up doing. So basically if you don't hear anything on December 1st or the coming days, don't panic YET, there is still some hope.