If you were interviewing Deans of dental schools, what would you ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antidentite1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am studying for the NBDE part 1 and for some reason this thought keeps distracting me. I have to get it out so that I can focus and study.

If you could sit down with a dean of a dental school (someone like Dr. Dugoni or Dr. Gordon Christensen) as a pre-dental student/dental student, what questions would you ask them about how to be successful? Seriously, think about this and help me out. If you could sit down with some of the most successful deans in the history of dentistry, what would you want them to tell you about being successful in school?

I am really curious to know what you all wonder about as you are preparing for dental school.

Thanks everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

lol ur studying for the NBDE?hmmm and u need help with interviews for pre-dents. if ur already in dental school, shouldnt u already have questions that u used?

tryin to use us for answers. just ask questions ur genuinely curious about.

lol ur studying for the NBDE?hmmm and u need help with interviews for pre-dents. if ur already in dental school, shouldnt u already have questions that u used?

tryin to use us for answers. just ask questions ur genuinely curious about.

It's not hard to look up somebody's past posts and do a little research before you start accusing people. OP seems to actually be a dental student.

As for the original question, I'm not really sure what I'd ask. Maybe something about how to establish a school vs life balance. Interesting topic though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having trouble with originality?

Doc I really appreciate all of the wonderful work you do on this site, it's really helpful, but sometimes I don't get why you have to write snarky little comments like that to put people down.

Doc I really appreciate all of the wonderful work you do on this site, it's really helpful, but sometimes I don't get why you have to write snarky little comments like that to put people down.

Right. On the other hand, maybe at some point standing on our own two feet might be expected.

Right. On the other hand, maybe at some point standing on our own two feet might be expected.

On the contrary, I think I'm standing up just fine. However, not enough people in this forum do in fact dispute the belittling comments you make, which is a shame.

EDIT: I don't want to hijack this forum and turn it into an argument, so I'm done here. Just wanted to give my two cents because I don't think you hear it enough.

At the point when I'm a practicing dentist, I hope I spend my free time trolling on predents.

Not all of us are overzealous, uninformed, and unhelpful members of this site.

Come on, doc. I understand the occasional (or even frequent) eyeroll at users who clearly don't know what's going on. Not everyone is deserving of such treatment, though. I have an incredibly dry and sarcastic sense of humor, but your comments aren't meant to be funny. They're biting, and they're meant to make people look and feel small. I don't know what you have to gain from this or why you'd want to do so, seeing as you make other helpful posts.

Live and let live, I suppose. I know you'll keep doing your thing and I'll keep doing mine.

When I am a dentist there is no way I will have the time to be on a forum giving pre dents a hard time. ~5600 post? Get a job. Doc is an @$$.

When I am a dentist there is no way I will have the time to be on a forum giving pre dents a hard time. ~5600 post? Get a job. Doc is an @$$.

that's unnecessary. He's actually quite helpful. Just have to learn to let the biting remarks roll off your shoulder.

his average daily post count barely exceeds two. nice try.

also, as a nascent dentist i imagine i'll be grinding hard to establish my practice...but at some point you can bet your ass i'll be leveraging the labor of young associates. consequently that would leave more time for trolling pre dents, or working on my golf swing, or deciding which country to stamp next on my passport.

that's unnecessary. He's actually quite helpful. Just have to learn to let the biting remarks roll off your shoulder.

However, being helpful in some ways doesn't give one a free pass to do whatever they want. One can be helpful without flaunting his or her "superiority." Humility and kindness are rare traits. Not everything that enters one's head has to be posted. :)

Personally, I just don't like to see others being insulted or "walked on," especially when it's undeserved.

Wow. It is amazing how one person can really destroy a thread.

I am a dental student already and I was just posting a simple question. I was wondering about the types of things I would want to ask if I had the opportunity to sit down, one on one, with really successful dentists. I have plenty of my own ideas but the beauty of forums and the internet is opening up your questions to the world and hearing what other people have to say. There is always hope that people will contribute constructively.

I will ask again because I would like to hear what other peoples' ideas are. What would YOU ask a super successful dean if you had the rare opportunity to sit with them and ask them anything you wanted? Let's also say that you are not in a dental school interview situation, you are simply talking to them as a colleague. What would YOU want to know about them and how they got to where they are?

I am a dental student already and I was just posting a simple question. I was wondering about the types of things I would want to ask if I had the opportunity to sit down, one on one, with really successful dentists. I have plenty of my own ideas but the beauty of forums and the internet is opening up your questions to the world and hearing what other people have to say. There is always hope that people will contribute constructively.

I will ask again because I would like to hear what other peoples' ideas are. What would YOU ask a super successful dean if you had the rare opportunity to sit with them and ask them anything you wanted? Let's also say that you are not in a dental school interview situation, you are simply talking to them as a colleague. What would YOU want to know about them and how they got to where they are?

To answer your question, I would ask myself what is most important for me and what I want to gain from the dean for the short encounter, then I'll formulate my questions based on your interests and needs.

That's what Doc is referring as being 'original'.

However, being helpful in some ways doesn't give one a free pass to do whatever they want. One can be helpful without flaunting his or her "superiority." Humility and kindness are rare traits. Not everything that enters one's head has to be posted. :)

Personally, I just don't like to see others being insulted or "walked on," especially when it's undeserved.

I agree. I don't like to see that either. I just figured that I'd ignore posts like that

I would ask how they feel about dental chains

I agree. I don't like to see that either. I just figured that I'd ignore posts like that

:thumbup::thumbup:

OP, sorry about all of the negativity. Sitting from my predental standpoint, what I'd really want to ask a dean is what their ideal applicant would look like! However, were I on the other side of this mountain I'm climbing right now, I'd ask them what the best advice is that they have for running a practice.